AKG K340 VS $1000 Headphones?
Dec 1, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #31 of 58
  My 340s arrived last week & I couldn't be happier.

I really love these 340s, I am very pleased that the ebay photos of them did not do them justice.
They appear to have not been used at all, even the the pleather is perfect.

I wonder if the people that got theirs new in box had that tag on them.

I can only compare them to My vintage 240s, My Q701s and a set of HD250s.
They are fuller, especially in the lower mids, & the treble is crystal clear.
They are heavier, but more comfortable,very 70's feel to them.
They will not distort at all from the 4 output sources on my desk;
Eleven Rack HP Amp, Kemper KPA HP Amp, Behringer HP Amp or the WA3+.

I see no reason to mod headphones these at the moment, other than velour pads, elastics and a headband pad.

I checked the driver & it is the green "Bass Light" driver,
but believe me when I say that these are not bass light in any way.
Maybe even a tad bit heavy in the lower mids,
-but I'm going to roll tubes to see if that changes things much.

The sound is rich and full, but I feel the WA3+ may need a 5998 & the power tube mod or I may need a more powerful amp.
-It just feels like they aren't even breaking a sweat, like they want more power......

One of the main reasons I wanted these phones is so I can listen to my Kemper KPA Profiling Amplifier.
I actually like the sound in these 340s better than My near-field reference monitors for this,
- but I really do think they might benefit from more power.

The original tubes that came with the WA3+ were microphonic & weak sounding chinese ElectroHarmonix. 
I got a GEC 6080 tube & 2 matched 1970 Tesla ECC88s for 30 bucks from an audiophile in sweden.
-Much better than the tubes it came with,(but then I got it for 260.00 w/ free shipping.)

Pros: Big improvement in sound quality, my guitar sounds fantastic and very detailed.
Cons:I have a feeling these Headphones will weed out any inexpensive elements in My signal chain. 

I see a Schiit Bifrost or something like it in My near future.

My chain is:
Yamaha CV820WB >Kemper KPA >Frenzel Tube Preamp Sylvania >Avid Eleven Rack > Behringer Xenyx Control1 USB monitor controller > WA3+ > AKG 340

Hey! Judging by your sig your a fellow AKG fan, how does the WA3+ treat the soundstage and bass? I'm getting the K7XX once the ship (mid december list for me) and I'll probably do a little AKG shootout then (K240, K340, K612, K7XX)

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #32 of 58
Heyhey, I am still rolling tubes in the WA3+, I am getting the feeling that the WA3+ is very revealing, but may not have enough power to drive the K-340s. (currently......................................get it,lol)

Although My set has the green bass light driver, the bass lvls are quite acceptable to Me.
(please note that I am into accurate sound reproduction for studio recording purposes, not really into over - hyped sub levels.)

In comparison to My event tria Sub, this setup keeps up perfectly, basswise-maybe even better.

There is a very slight drop in the lower mids that is quite pleasing to my ears,
& it has me questioning my speakers ability to represent My Kemper KPA accurately.

The soundstage is not the same as speakers, but note that guitar amp referencing is also about pushing air, for me.

My primary purpose for this setup is to reference Guitar tones in recording (i.e. distortion),
so anything in my signal chain that is too warming could hurt my ability to capture warmth while tracking.
( My home studio is not top-tier, fwiw......it's for tracking - not mixing/mastering)

The WA3+ is merciless on tubes, I cannot understate how important good tubes are.
-I have gone through 3 power tubes, and 3 sets of preamp tubes so far:

The stock preamp tubes were old-stock GE,and although I ran them for a couple of days to be sure, they were too microphonic to keep.

I next tried some 1970 tesla N.O.S. 6922 tubes, which were also not to my liking; microphonic & thin-sounding.

I currently have some old phillips 7308 tubes that sound really good, but they are not matched, so there is a slight difference in levels, I believe. ( I simply flip the headphones, & then the tubes, to be certain.)

I have Tried 2 6AS7G power tubes, a NOS Tungsol & the one that came with the Amp.

I am currently running a used GEC 6080 that sounds great, but I am on the lookout for a 5998 or a 421A tube, as they provide a little bit more power.
(I am only looking for N.O.S. tubes, not gonna buy from Asian sellers or Russian federation sellers or Bulgaria - I have my reasons 
smile.gif
 )

The build quality on the WA3+ is 1st rate, this unit is one of the early models with the Preamp,
(purchased used from a fellow in New Jersey that bought it when they 1st came out)
The sockets are tight and the volume knob is quite smooth & noiseless & I am glad the blue LED is not the blinding type 
smile.gif

I would imagine that the WA7 is going to be a next-level product,compared to the WA3.
- especially since the DAC components were specially matched to it's circuit.

I am a strong believer in this approach - I prefer internally bi-amped monitor systems to individual components matched by the listener,- if I had the budget, I'd be looking hard at the WA7.

Again, I run everything through My studio....from bad Youtube-compression videos to vinyl to My keyboards,Vox & guitars.
I am a vintage tube roll-a-holic, but once i find quiet clean accurate tube, I usually stick with them.

The reason I got into this headphone arena is that I was recently given a digital guitar amp profiler, the Kemper KPA.
This is not a "modelling" unit, it is leagues above any other software-based soloution, including the AXE FX II, Imho.

It's imperative that I get a really clear analytical view of this unit, so a decent headphone chain was a must.

The WA3+ was a response to the power needs the K-340s have, -& I am a gearslut.
(I also wanted to try some tube pre-amp for My monitors to see what I was missing from the musicality side of things)
o2smile.gif

I have found that the best guitar amps are point-to-point wired, (see Emerysound Microbaby)
-He minimizes the amount of wiring, even.
-It is a transparent tube rolling recording amp, & has taught me volumes about which tubes I prefer with My guitars.

So a used WOOaudio for 275 bucks w/free shipping was a no-brainer.
But I know that the expense is not finished, as I am still rolling rolling rolling 
smily_headphones1.gif

I am going to try rolling some more preamp & power tubes.
Some matched N.O.S. 7DJ8s and even some adapters and some 5691 tubes.

TLDR;
-I love My K-340s, They are better than all of the other K-series,Imho...& the WA3+ is quite promising- I owe a lot to the posters here for educating Me before buying.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #33 of 58
To all readers of the post:

As you indicate , the AKG K340 , are very special headphones , so yes, require a monster amp, this have a "High , s " very good level , I have the version " bassheavy " and its sound is unique.

The HD 650 have very " mellow " Mids,  and very soft , if we compare the hd 650, puts you in the room with the band, the AKG K340 put you directly into the microphone vocalist , or within the musical ensemble .

Someone could try a Violectric amp ???

The violectriv v90 , pushes 730 mW at 600 ohms , the K340 impedance (400 ohms , labeled , approx 361 ohms ) , secure the violectric give more than 1 W.

Greetings , and forgive my bad english.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #34 of 58
I just received my K-340 today! Some initial impressions...

These are technically capable enough to compete with the big boys IMO. They do have a particular signature, yes, but if you like it then they are a steal. 

The sound is reminiscent of my VMF Vibros, albeit less refined. A smooth, warm, lush kind of sound. Treble stands out as particularly detailed. Not at all harsh, but resolving enough to make these (moderately) less forgiving than the Vibros. The bass and mids aren't as fast as the treble, especially the bass--there is not enough contrast to bother me at all, but the contrast is enough to make the K-340's clearly less natural than the Vibros. 

I have no idea if this the bass light or heavy version, but they aren't bass light in absolute terms by any means. The mid bass is close to as thick as it can get without sounding boomy. There is some bleed into the mids, about on par with my B&W P7. Extension is decent, similar to the ZMF Vibro (which is to say the sub bass is rolled off but still there). Definitely a slow, full kind of bass--not very slammy.

Hard to drive for sure. This is the first time the volume knob on my Ember has ever reached noon with the digital volume at 100%. 

The treble is so good it's making me move the Koss ESP-950 up to the top of list of impending future purchases. 

Clamping force was surprisingly light at first, a bit loose, but they feel better now that they've been on my head for a while. Actually very comfortable. They feel much lighter on my head than I would have though based on holding them in my hands. 

Soundstage is very open sounding for a closed headphone, actually extremely close to the Vibro's soundstage in overall gestalt. There is less width, maybe more depth. They don't sound closed at all, but they don't really sound obviously open either if you know what I mean. Passages with only an instrument or two have an excellent, holographic sense of depth, but that 3D magic doesn't shine through in complex passages (not to say the soundstage collapses or anything terrible--it just becomes more diffuse and average sounding). 

Also, what pads fit these things? Anyone have any preferences as to sonics? Some thicker, plusher pads would take the comfort to the next level.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #35 of 58
  I just received my K-340 today! Some initial impressions...

These are technically capable enough to compete with the big boys IMO. They do have a particular signature, yes, but if you like it then they are a steal. 

The sound is reminiscent of my VMF Vibros, albeit less refined. A smooth, warm, lush kind of sound. Treble stands out as particularly detailed. Not at all harsh, but resolving enough to make these (moderately) less forgiving than the Vibros. The bass and mids aren't as fast as the treble, especially the bass--there is not enough contrast to bother me at all, but the contrast is enough to make the K-340's clearly less natural than the Vibros. 

I have no idea if this the bass light or heavy version, but they aren't bass light in absolute terms by any means. The mid bass is close to as thick as it can get without sounding boomy. There is some bleed into the mids, about on par with my B&W P7. Extension is decent, similar to the ZMF Vibro (which is to say the sub bass is rolled off but still there). Definitely a slow, full kind of bass--not very slammy.

Hard to drive for sure. This is the first time the volume knob on my Ember has ever reached noon with the digital volume at 100%. 

The treble is so good it's making me move the Koss ESP-950 up to the top of list of impending future purchases. 

Clamping force was surprisingly light at first, a bit loose, but they feel better now that they've been on my head for a while. Actually very comfortable. They feel much lighter on my head than I would have though based on holding them in my hands. 

Soundstage is very open sounding for a closed headphone, actually extremely close to the Vibro's soundstage in overall gestalt. There is less width, maybe more depth. They don't sound closed at all, but they don't really sound obviously open either if you know what I mean. Passages with only an instrument or two have an excellent, holographic sense of depth, but that 3D magic doesn't shine through in complex passages (not to say the soundstage collapses or anything terrible--it just becomes more diffuse and average sounding). 

Also, what pads fit these things? Anyone have any preferences as to sonics? Some thicker, plusher pads would take the comfort to the next level.

Awesome impression, I agree with some of it from my own impressions.
Do you still have the plastic grills on? They sound better with them removed and you can figure out which version you have.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #37 of 58
Are you talking about the mesh stuff right on top of the driver? Yep, still there. Does removing it require any cutting?

Theres a plastic grill that has 3 screws in it. If you take it off you will see 6 round jelly looking things, the color of those is how you figure out which version you have; also removing that grill improved soundstage and imaging imo.

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #39 of 58
  I took it off and put the screws back in, but the driver wasn't secure. Do you need to use washers or is there a trick I'm missing?

i didnt put washers in and mine seem secure... You should if you think youll need them

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #43 of 58
K340 owners: I might get the chance to get one for about $120. Very good condition. Do you recommend them?

How can you compare it with the Senn HD-600 for example? I just discovered them recently by that add.

Thanks in advance! 

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #44 of 58
  K340 owners: I might get the chance to get one for about $120. Very good condition. Do you recommend them?

How can you compare it with the Senn HD-600 for example? I just discovered them recently by that add.

Thanks in advance! 

what's up friend,

I hope you serve something my little experience in the subject, 120 dollars is a good price, of course, require a monstrous amplifier, especially high impedance.

I have Akg k712, hd 650 Beyer DT 770, and a MAtrix MSTAGE USB amplifier for comparison, the K340 have a unique sound, and 3 types of music profile, depends of driver type.

Gray Driver  = basshead version , green = basslight, and a more balanced, I think black driver

So 650 hd compared to K340:

Hd 650 has a more "Soft" and "Silky" mids, more in the front.

Hd 650 has a similar soundstage to k340 wich is closed.

Hd 650 are better in the bass department, more detailed and punchy.

Hd 650 tighten more in the head, both are comfortable.

Hd 650  give more body to the music in general.

Akg k340 is more detailed, in the mids and highs.

Akg k340 is one of the best "highs" I've heard.

Akg k340 sounds little dry, and bright to hd 650, and more neutral.

Akg k340 require almost the double pot volume to equal hd 650.

I hope it helps you, and sorry for my bad english.

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #45 of 58
Hey man, thanks very much for this very detailed info! :)

Now I changed my mind because I am a SONY/AIWA collector basically and I found an old Aiwa gem to buy, 
one of the rarest models these days, but I will consider that AKG in the future because it sounds nice :)

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back