AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
May 26, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #181 of 1,184

Quote:
Did anybody tried the K340 with a bijou amp? I like this amps' design a lot but I want to make sure it can drive the K340 at full throttle.

Or these cans only give the best plugged to a speaker amp? Did anybody tried with a valve (e.g. 45 or 2A3) speraker push-pull amplifier?

Cheers

Old thread I know but I just can't help myself..........

My Bijou and the 340 is an AWESOME combo. I am using a 1955 NOS Stepped Attenuator that dBel found for me. (very cool if I do say so myself) I usually have it at 16 to 18 of 22 steps on my attenuator.

[size=large]  [/size]

God these phones sound great. mine have all the mods except for the circuit board bypass. My DIY skills are just non existent so I am scred to try, but I would love to have it done.

Mine are the bass light version, but with the Bijou I can't imagine more bass. I don't think I would like the bass heavy version. My bass is TIGHT and beautiful. Almost have no reason to own other phones. (I have a lot more that are not in my profile, I need to change that) 

These phone rock. 

May 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #182 of 1,184
They are indeed very find cans!  I'm enjoying the nice pair I have.

May 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #183 of 1,184
never heard the K340 but have been intrigued by the hybrid design. Soooo many variations out there it is darn right scary but they had a good thing going even back in the 70's ..dB

May 28, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #184 of 1,184

Quote:

Which amp do you mostly pair the 340 with?

I am, for the moment, making do with the Mustang set at high gain and the volume between 10 and 11 o'clock position.

May 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #185 of 1,184
I've been using them with the Meier Concerto and the Decware CSP-2 - both work very well.

May 30, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #186 of 1,184
Jesus screw**g christ man!! I didnt saw this one coming!
angry_face.gif

http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190399233521&autorefresh=true

May 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #187 of 1,184

A little portable amp like that is no way to treat the K340. I use mine with a baby sophia clone or a dynahi. Quality of K340 is also very dependent on source. I didn't like the K340 at all with the dynahi with my CD player, but the combo with parasound D/AC-1100 is a winner.
Quote:

I am, for the moment, making do with the Mustang set at high gain and the volume between 10 and 11 o'clock position.

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #192 of 1,184

I'm a bit surpriced to see that the Concerto can actually drive the K340's as it only has a gain of 2-3, I guess it's not as much a qustion of the power of the amplification as it's a question of the quality. I just bought a pair of K340 on Ebay that looks rather good(I have not received it yet) it will be interesting to see how my EF2 will drive them, it will probably do an OK job and if not I'm planning an upgrade at some point in the near future.
Quote:
I've been using them with the Meier Concerto and the Decware CSP-2 - both work very well.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #193 of 1,184
I have just received my Concerto yesterday and have started using it with my K340.  For me, the Concerto is driving the K340 fine.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
A little portable amp like that is no way to treat the K340. I use mine with a baby sophia clone or a dynahi. Quality of K340 is also very dependent on source. I didn't like the K340 at all with the dynahi with my CD player, but the combo with parasound D/AC-1100 is a winner.

Quote:
I'm a bit surpriced to see that the Concerto can actually drive the K340's as it only has a gain of 2-3, I guess it's not as much a qustion of the power of the amplification as it's a question of the quality. I just bought a pair of K340 on Ebay that looks rather good(I have not received it yet) it will be interesting to see how my EF2 will drive them, it will probably do an OK job and if not I'm planning an upgrade at some point in the near future.

Jun 21, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #194 of 1,184

Quote:
I have just received my Concerto yesterday and have started using it with my K340.  For me, the Concerto is driving the K340 fine.

It seems well established that the Concerto can drive the K340. I do find this rather amusing as people are always rambling about powerfull tube amps and  even speaker amps when the talk goes about amping the K340.

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #195 of 1,184
I'm listening to a pair of K340s' that I received yesterday, it's the first CD that I have been listening to, so I'm not going to say much, other than I like what I hear so far. I'll try to make a comparison with the K400s' that I have been using as my main cans for the last year and a half or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back