AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Jul 23, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #211 of 1,184

Quote:
Recently acquired a K340 with box. Box is in a right state, but the cans are 99% mint! These are my first non-Grado cans, completely different sound; unfortunately my cheapo amps don't do my cans much justice. My Bravo hybrid comes closest to driving the 340, but considering their condition I'm probably going to box them till I can afford a more worthy amp. Anybody have any experience with the Darkvoice 336SE? I see people generally recommend the 336i, but this one is no longer available and doesn't turn up a lot 2nd hand (is it so good, that nobody wants to sell theirs
biggrin.gif
)

That's a pretty famous combination.  The K340 and Darkvoice 336 were all the rage a few years back.  And a lot of die hard K340 fans were recommending the combo so I think it's a safe bet.  I had the 336 but not with the K340.  I'm not sure about the newer DV amps or whatever they're called now

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #213 of 1,184
I have had my K340s for about two weeks and I have been greatly impressed. The amount of detail and clarity immediately grabbed my attention. They seem to make music sound effortless compared to the k400 which I also have high regards of. The background of tracks is very black and music seems to just snap into focus. Soundstage is not as spacious as the k400 but keeps appropriate to the track. I will admit they are a tad heavier than I'd like but over all the construction is good.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 8, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #214 of 1,184
I found these at my grandpa's place today. Don't know much about electrostats, probably don't have an amp powerful enough to drive em'
frown.gif
. Just wondering, how much are these worth nowadays?

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #215 of 1,184

Quote:
I found these at my grandpa's place today. Don't know much about electrostats, probably don't have an amp powerful enough to drive em'
frown.gif

Wow, lucky person.  Some say the 2nd best sounding AKG ever after the K1000.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #216 of 1,184

Quote:
frown.gif

Not really much in dollar terms but in SQ terms, IMO, at the very least, comparable to, if not better than, the current next-to-top-of-the-range headphones of many manufacturers, including AKG.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #220 of 1,184
They are IMO.. But really need you to build a system around them like the K1000, & to a lesser degree the 650, which scale very well with better upstream components.

Just another vintage marvel in the same vein as the 240 Sextett/K141/DT48/DT480/HP1/2.. & to many hardcore AKG fans, the 400/500..

Quote:
Wow, lucky person.  Some say the 2nd best sounding AKG ever after the K1000.

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #221 of 1,184
Did you try the Cambridge receiver?  It might work well.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #222 of 1,184
After moving between the K340, K400 and K240 M I have noticed that what sets the K340 apart from the other dynamic cans is that the K340's ability to make music sound effortless and clean.  I could also liken it to listening in a vacuum which is physically impossible but there seems to be less air surrounding the instruments which creates more texture and edge detail.  What puts me off about the K340 is that they compress the soundstage more than I would like.  Also they have very poor ergonomics and are too heavy and not very comfortable on the ears.  I am now very curious to hear the K340 compared to some stax and what qualities they share.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 10, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #223 of 1,184
i have had a few vintage stax- sr3 and sr40. the sr40 has a smile shaped eq curve, the sr3 is big and airy sounding (and from the 60s!) but doesnt do bass as well as the k340. the k340 has a better balance but loses airiness and detail.

i'm on the fence as to whether i like the 340 over my fave akg, the k240m 600ohm. very different sounding. both like a very strong amp

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #224 of 1,184

Quote:
After moving between the K340, K400 and K240 M I have noticed that what sets the K340 apart from the other dynamic cans is that the K340's ability to make music sound effortless and clean.  I could also liken it to listening in a vacuum which is physically impossible but there seems to be less air surrounding the instruments which creates more texture and edge detail.  What puts me off about the K340 is that they compress the soundstage more than I would like.  Also they have very poor ergonomics and are too heavy and not very comfortable on the ears.  I am now very curious to hear the K340 compared to some stax and what qualities they share.

How are the pads on your K340?  They need new pads.  I also find that there is a design flaw in the joint that holds the cups to the headband which keeps it from swiveling far enough to match the angle of my head.  So the bottom of the pads don't meet my head below my ears, and there's too much presure on the tops of the pads.  This makes it uncomfortable and sloppy loose, and also totally ruins the sound because it doesn't make a seal.  Which is why I never listened to the K340 until now.  I sort of rhemedied this by using some of those self-adhesive door insulating foam strips- a very thick one, cut a short strip about an inch and put it in the bottom of the pad to make it thicker there.  Works well cause it sticks to the screen.  But I can't help but think it would be better if the drivers weren't angling down, but were allowed to swivel directly at my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back