AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #1,156 of 1,184
It takes 50 hours of break-in for my headphone amplifier and the tube pre-amplifier to break...

The difference is audibly astounding ...

In the active speakers for the tube pre-amp Douk P2... In the K240 for the headphone amplifier Fosi sk01 and the tube pre-amplifier ...

It seems to me there is two revolution in audio now ...

Very affordable audio component at peanuts cost they are not junk at all ...
And the BACCH filters of Dr. Choueiri ...

The K240 i like it a lot....I cannot go back to any others i own ... Even if with the K240 the soundfield stay in the head and the timbre is less realistic, the impression of holography is there ...
I upgrade each time i want with the K340 for sacred listenings sessions eyes open in the dark to "see" the musicians ...Forever unbeatable ... No other company will design a tuned grid of resonators...Too cumbersome in the shell and to costly to do it right and anyway too impactful on the profit margin.... Most people thing that a singular membrane is enough ... Not me after all my trials and errors... Shell acoustic also matter ...

Think about that, so advanced is driver design nowadays , it is always one membrane , planar or dynamic or electrostatic ...No shell refined acoustic ... And some say the K340 is outclassed... For too much details on the edge with no 3-D impression ? for a bigger soundstage but always FIXED in the head ? For a more artificial timbre in many case ... Thanks i will die with these two akg it seems... Propose me something else ...

No one did it really convincingly after comparison with the K340 ... Anyway the K340 is so hard to optimize how any reviews can be trusted ? ... it takes me so much time to figure out how to drive it i will wait no more for an alternative in comparison reviews... There is too much differences between the K340 right out of a box and optimized...See the review of Stereophile which describe another K340 than mine optimized ...

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #1,157 of 1,184
I've read that a lot of Head-Fier's prefer the bass light green drivers in the stock form of the K340. I've never heard a modified version, but I do own a pair of the green drivers, also the red ones. I wouldn't change anything about them. They sound like pure magic, I continue to reach out for time and time again. 😊👌

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #1,158 of 1,184
I've read that a lot of Head-Fier's prefer the bass light green drivers in the stock form of the K340. I've never heard a modified version, but I do own a pair of the green drivers, also the red ones. I wouldn't change anything about them. They sound like pure magic, I continue to reach out for time and time again. 😊
Modded my green pair ..... really went to a new level. Soundstage increased greatly.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #1,159 of 1,184
Is the soundstage when the recording make it possible appear as out of the head ?
It do so after my optimization...
And the bass improve a lot in clarity with no boominess at all ...

Dec 26, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #1,161 of 1,184
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #1,162 of 1,184
@richard51 FYI
I've discovered another headphone that presents itself with 3D holographic imaging very similar to my beloved K340.
They actually bests the 340 when it comes to resolving all the micro details.
The Martin Logan Mikros 90.
I paid $100 NOS. It's my best audio purchase to date. I just thought you might be interested in such a monumental price to performance ratio headphone.
I've a/b tested many hps with the 340's and the Mikros is the only one that can deliver the amount of enjoyment that the K340's have given me.

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #1,163 of 1,184
I just ordered a pair ...

Davidzak64

But let me say it straight.... I doubt that they will even match the AKG K240 sextett... Let alone my K340 .... :)

Feb 4, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #1,164 of 1,184
I just ordered a pair ...

Davidzak64

But let me say it straight.... I doubt that they will even match the AKG K240 sextett... Let alone my K340 .... :)
That's awesome. Good for you! How did you find a pair?
They will far exceed the Sextett in every category and will sound just as good or even better with some genres than the K340's. You will be a fan of these.

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #1,165 of 1,184
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #1,166 of 1,184
To stay on the subject. These 340's are over 40 year's old and still look fairly new.
Green driver stock.
20220109_141729.jpg

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #1,167 of 1,184
First you forgot that the K340 gave me an "out of the head" soundfield...

Second you forgot that i felt the bass of my K340 with my body as speaker like...

Third i had 6 modifications on my K340 ....

Then most K340 dont sound like mine...

I like the K240 sextett even without this out of the head soundfield nor with these deep bass because they sound "natural" for timbre even if it is not on par with the K340 realism...

I ordered the Martin Logan as a play.... Anyway at the price i want to try them and i trust you....

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #1,168 of 1,184
First you forgot that the K340 gave me an "out of the head" soundfield...

Second you forgot that i felt the bass of my K340 with my body as speaker like...

Third i had 6 modifications on my K340 ....

Then most K340 dont sound like mine...

I like the K240 sextett even without this out of the head soundfield nor with these deep bass because they sound "natural" for timbre even if it is not on par with the K340 realism...

I ordered the Martin Logan as a play.... Anyway at the price i want to try them and i trust you....
They will far exceed your expectations.
Look for this thread..
Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #1,169 of 1,184
I dont have expectation...
I ordered them because of their low price... :)
And i want to hear what is supposed to beat the K340 ...

Which is impossible.... Perhaps the top RAAL can....

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #1,170 of 1,184
I dont have expectation...
I ordered them because of their low price... :)
And i want to hear what is supposed to beat the K340 ...

Which is impossible.... Perhaps the top RAAL can....
Beat is very subjective. Let your ears be the judge. 😏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back