AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Aug 26, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #1,141 of 1,184
But why is the Luxman better than the Dark voice ?

For me it was simple... No contest at all between the alpha Sansui and the microzotl... No synergy ...

Save for more silent and then a better perception of details with the zotl... But all the rest : bass, mids, highs, soundstage holographic 3-D , nothing even compare...

Even the perception of details seems better but was not , it is caused by a blacker
I would say it comes down to bass quality and timbre that sets them apart and the fact that they scale to infinity with the Luxman. The Darkvoice is my choice of amplifier for several other HPs that I own, Like the Elex, HD650, Sextett and Q701. Great synergy....1😚☺️
It has definitely brought them up a teir on my rotation and gives me different options for all genres of music.
It all comes down to synergy in the end.
20230826_100123.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #1,142 of 1,184
I would say it comes down to bass quality and timbre that sets them apart and the fact that they scale to infinity with the Luxman.
You reacted the same way and for the same reason as i did with the Sansui alpha... This means something about the way to drive the K340...

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,144 of 1,184
The AKG K340 feels too loose on my head. Is there another kind of headband that I could install that would have more clamping force?
I found some headbands at

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/11...rchText=headband&origin=n&SortType=price_desc

but I'm not sure which if any of those would fit the K340.

The headband of the K340 is an integral part of its structure, allowing the cups to swivel. I cannot see how any third party complete headband would be able to fit the existing mounting points. Some headphones such sume models from Audeze, Hifiman, etc, use a mostly universal headband with swivelling semi-circles that can be fitted in the lateral cup mountings, but that is not the case of the AKG headphones.

Also, the headband round rods are made of a metal which is not prone to plasticity, and I fear applying pressure to it would break it. I believe its PVC-covered aluminium. Better leave that headband alone! And even if it would be possible to tighten it, I fear the minumum alteration would cause the cups to tilt too much on the lower part, thus applying too much pressure below the ears or on the jaw articulation.

You could try to modify or change the headband strap, like I did to mine, but I don't know if it would help increase the clamping force.

Also, maybe some thicker pads would help.

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #1,145 of 1,184
The headband of the K340 is an integral part of its structure, allowing the cups to swivel. I cannot see how any third party complete headband would be able to fit the existing mounting points. Some headphones such sume models from Audeze, Hifiman, etc, use a mostly universal headband with swivelling semi-circles that can be fitted in the lateral cup mountings, but that is not the case of the AKG headphones.

Also, the headband round rods are made of a metal which is not prone to plasticity, and I fear applying pressure to it would break it. I believe its PVC-covered aluminium. Better leave that headband alone! And even if it would be possible to tighten it, I fear the minumum alteration would cause the cups to tilt too much on the lower part, thus applying too much pressure below the ears or on the jaw articulation.

You could try to modify or change the headband strap, like I did to mine, but I don't know if it would help increase the clamping force.

Also, maybe some thicker pads would help.

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it, but I'm still determined to replace the headband.
If only I can find a headband that can be modified to fit the cups

Nov 14, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #1,146 of 1,184
The AKG K340 feels too loose on my head.
You don't have to go that far. Unscrew the side parts on both sides (fastened with a screw, then pull down), loosen the plastic parts that hold the plastic headband with a screw (there are three parts) and go to the local supermarket and buy suitable hair elastics (not too thick) in the women's section. If the clamping force is not sufficient, make a knot in it. This can increase the clamping force strong.

Nov 14, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,147 of 1,184
You don't have to go that far. Unscrew the side parts on both sides (fastened with a screw, then pull down), loosen the plastic parts that hold the plastic headband with a screw (there are three parts) and go to the local supermarket and buy suitable hair elastics (not too thick) in the women's section. If the clamping force is not sufficient, make a knot in it. This can increase the clamping force strong.
Indeed, if the elastics are in good shape, the clamping gets more stable

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #1,148 of 1,184
For history...
I just reevaluated the akg k240 sextett versus akg k701 and K340 anew...

When we listen an headphone the source matterr too ... The dac i was using with the K340 which fit it well , the Hidiz Ap80 pro, is a clean dac but very different one than my other battery dac , the french NOS TDA 1543 the french starting point system dac which is more organic and less analytical... The hidizs is analytical in a good way though ...The two dac very different are good ...

But now with a new Fosi SK01 amplifier with tone controls and the french dac , i succeeded what i did not tried after purchasing the sextet by mere curiosity, i put it on his own amp and dac and they sound better than i had claimed here ... They do not compare at all to the K340 which is on his owl level , but they had a family ressemblance which come from Dr. Gorike grid of passive resonators... i enjoy now as a saecondary headphone the sextet way more than the K701 because they sound way more natural and less artificial . more speaker like , but not on the level of the K340 ...

I add this to this thread because after the K340 optimization i discard too rapidly the little brother ...
my system now is two AKG with their own amplifier and own dac ...i also use a small optimized amd modified active speakers system ...I am in heaven at peanuts cost thanks to Dr. Gorike and thanks to Hemlholts research on resonators because i modified my speakers as he inspired me to do ...

By the way i use not only the Fosi headphone amp +3 tone controls at low cost, a chinese battery headphone (50 bucks) but also a chinese tube preamplifier by Douk the P2 a tubes preamplifier for my active speakers at low cost too (50 bucks) with three tone controls...

Chinese products are not all junk...As it was the case decade ago ...The tube preamp at 50 bucks sound way bwetter than a tube amplifier i paid 400 bucks 7 years ago which i sold because even after 50 tubes trying it was never very good ... The chinese preamplifier beat it with the mediocre tubes which are sold with it at 8 times less money ...

I am no more able to use the K701 they are made useless compared to the sextett , and i know for sure now that this is because of the passive grid of resonators which Gorike used in these two models the K340 and the K240 ...

mery christmast to all friends here ...

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,149 of 1,184
I forgot to say that my under appreciation or under estimation of the sextett was also directly caused because i use the wrong pads ....As for the K340 now with the K240 i used only vented holes pads or perforated one ... The difference is huge ...

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #1,150 of 1,184
I forgot to say that my under appreciation or under estimation of the sextett was also directly caused because i use the wrong pads ....As for the K340 now with the K240 i used only vented holes pads or perforated one ... The difference is huge ...
Welcome back!

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,151 of 1,184
Welcome back!
Thanks my friend.... Thanks to you and to some others i bought the sextett..
it did not compare to the K340 but they own a family sound because of the passive resonators ...

Then i must thank those who recommended it to me especially you ...

When optimized the sextet is way better than the AKG K701 and better than all my other headphones but for sure way under the K340...Anyway everything i heard is beneath it ... I bought it to hear if this passive grid technology is so effficient and distinguish his effect from the hybrid cells of the K340 ... Now i perceived exactly what this passive tuned grid of resonators do ... They are really for a great part responsible for the acoustic holography impression of the sound ... but it takes a more powerful set of cells to demonstrate fully the possible "out of the head " effect which is there already on a lesser degree with the sextet when it was optimized , but really manifested only with the K340...

When spoiled by this 3-D impressions we cannot go to normal headphone so much detailed they seems to be or more dynamical or more anything ... :)
The naturalness of timbre and the holography partial in the sextet and completed in the K340 make most headphones unlistenable for me even my 2 Stax which sleep forever in a drawer...

My only dream of upgrade is to buy one day the BACCH filters for my headphone , the greatest acoustic revolution since the transition from mono to stereo ...

My main system is Headphone, even if the modifications i did on my small speakers made them better than any headphone save the K340 ... I did not have a complete dedicated acoustic room for big speakers since i sold my house...
Then my reference music system so good my small speakers are and they are incredible ( i modified their design )
will stay the K340 ... To beat it will cost me the price of bigger speakers +the BACCH filters of Dr. Choueiri ... Those who want a real upgrade for their system must read about it ... Dr. Choueiri is a physicist as Dr. Gorike was , and the two were geniuses in acoustic ... I repeat myself here but this information is very important for any audiophile ... Dont loose money on costly upgrades if your system is already good read about Choueiri ...

my best wishes for Christmas ...
chrismast santa claus.gif
chrismast santa claus.gif

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #1,153 of 1,184
I am so happy to listen also with the sextet ... My admiration for Dr. Gorike increased because it take me 2 headphone very different from each other to sense and made head and tails about these passive tuned resonators ... Many reviewers stated erroneously that these innovations from Dr. Gorike was used in other headphones by other company... I dont think so ...It is too costly to make and tune correctly, it add too much cost and ask for space in the shell ... Most Companies nowadays are not created by devoted scientist as dr.Gorike was, save exception as Dr. Choueiri is today , they are money makers ...

The next consumers revolution is low cost very good procucts from China ... It begun i just bought two at 50 bucks ... I dont know if an acoustic revolution will come also but at least actually there exist many product from China at cheap cost who deliver a minimal quality if not more ...

i will wish you a beautiful night ...

I will come back if i had something new or if there is something new here ...

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,154 of 1,184
I just go a notch over in the quality of sound of the K240 because i coupled my tube preamplifier Douk P2 to my headphone S.S. amplifier Fosi SK01 a battery headphone amp powerful for his size... It cannot drive the K340 for sure... It drive the K240 600 ohms well but it help a lot to have 3 volume controls not 2 and it help a lot for the timbre to add tubes with pre-amplification ... All that using my best dac the NOS french battery dac TDA1543 from S.P.S. by Christophe Mariac...

It improve a lot the bass on the K240 and manifest to my ears something very evident : the tuned passive grid of resonators in the K240 as well as in the K340 DECOUPLE the mids and the bass completely eliminating boominess that is charactersistic of many headphones which had always too much bass or not enough bass or mids distorted by the bass presence , pick your poison ... The bass on the K240 is very good but because it is a single dynamic driver less extended than with the K340 and less deep ...
The holographic 3-D effect is there but less than with the K340 ...The "out of the head" effect seems not to be there either as with the K340 where this effect give to the K340 is uniqueness with even more natural timbre than the K240... The dual chamber of the K340 with his two cells apart from one another create this effect by reproducing in a better way the acoustic conditions of the playing recording album ...

The K240 compare by his timbre translation and naturalness and imaging with advantage over many other headphones ...There is enough details... Some will give more with a bigger soundstage but i dont like bigger soundstage with more details i dont want to have ( details without 3-d holography are fatiguing) but with less natural timbre and less good imaging ...

It is the K340 for the poor indeed ...But It is quite likeable even for music, we can live with it ....Anyway nothing can touch the K340 perhaps the RAAL or the OMEGA Stax can go over the K340 , i dont know ... I will never know if i dont buy them anyway, the optimization of the K340 is so difficult to figure i cannot trust many people reviews about it ...If Tyll of Stereophile never could figure out how to use it and optimize it for example , i dont know who will ? It takes me 6 months to work it ... And even my upgrade for dedicated headphone amplifier as the LTA microzotl was a failure by lack of synergy and power ...I will kept the Sansui Alpha 607 i for the K340 till my death ...

The K240 so good my preamplifier and amplifier could be and my dac can be improved by a better amp and pre-amp after all at 60 bucks each there is possibility of upgrade nevermind the fact they are good , these two chinese products are good and i am surprized , but they are not the microzotl which alas imust return and could not keep because of the heavy cost , almost two times the price of all my gear combined ... My wife would have kill me ...

Anyway i am happy and because the microzotl could not be used at all with the K340 i could not keep it ...Then even if minor improvement are always possible for the K240 i will use it as it is mostly for movie ... I use the speakers for music or the K340... But i like the K240 a lot even for music... When we had the K340 we cannot suit ourself at least me to another sound without this tuning passive resonators that make the K240 and K340 timbre translation so distinctive ...Nothing else replicate it... the Hifiman i know and the Stax i know sound unnatural and artificial , even the Akg K701 sound artificial compared to the K240 and way more compared to the K340 optimized ... By the way i put anti vibration and resonance device inside and outside of the K240 ... :)
I never owned an headphone that dont need some optimization anyway ...

In a word the difference between the K240 and the K340 which own together the same family quality for the timbre perception is that the K340 sound as speakers in front of you in a way the K240 could not , nevermind what you will do to improve the K240...
To be more clear my small powered speakers by the same preamplifier and dac are way better than the K240 as speakers well embedded will beat most headphones...but the K340 beat my speakers for naturalness of timbre and even on some spatial distribution in the acoustic translation of the recording ( my small active modified speakers in their acoustic corner beat almost all headphones anyway) ... It will take bigger speakers with an acoustic room to beat the K340 ... Then you could understand better my perspective ...

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #1,155 of 1,184
I enjoy the K240 a lot now ...

They are connected to my day to day system not to the top one:
Hidizs dac+Sansui alpha+ K340... The K340 Is my dedicated sacred listening post light out in the dark eyes open to see the music ...

My secondary system is the small completely modified and optimized speakers , which i listen all day,

French battery dac Starting point system ---- Douk P2 tubes preamplifier----M-audio AV40 active speakers ---

or headphone

French battery dac S.P.S.---Douk P2 tubes preamplifier--- Fosi SK01 headphone amplifier +3 tones controls --- Akg K240 .... Which i listen after 10 in the evening because my wife goes to sleep ...

I own three systems...
low cost but amazingly good... Ratio S.Q. price here is overboard under 1000 bucks ...

Here i just want to correct my first impression about the K240 modified ...

I put anti-vibration materials , sorbothane outside and tape TA FoQ 32 inside ... The right pads because of the acoustic chamber of the K240 created by the passive resonators ask for vented or perforated pads of the right size, not too thin and not the largest ...I let the protective plastic grid here and i dont feel the urge to trowing it off as for the K340 , because it seems less intrusive to me phisically on my ears and soundwise as a screen ... I only use the tone controls to increase the DB levels from the Fosi, no equalization being possible... But i dont feel to need equalization as much as urgent with my K340....Tone controls were necessary though here because so powerful is the Fosi , it help a lot to increase all controls DB levels...I cannot fault the K240 for what it is... There is better headphones for sure and different one... But it is not so easy to crush them and very costlier ...My past headphones ,9, are all less interesting and less refined acoustically ... Details are not sound quality by the way and the K240 dont lack details , it lack what is in the K340 and in no other headphones i know ...

After thes modifications the timbre and imaging are top one ... Inferior on all counts to the K340 but superior to any other headphones i ever tried ... Anyway if you have more detailed headphone with larger soundstage i dont mind it , because without a natural sounding timbre i am not interested ... the Beyerdynamic Dt 990 pro for example i owned for years own a way larger soundstage but inside the head anyway as the K240 but without naturalness and no holographical impression as the K240 exhibit well...

Deep bass and out of the head impression and totally natural timbre are anyway qualities of the K340 exclusively for me ...

But i can now listen the K240 without being repulsive ... I know why, the passive grid of resonators patent by Dr. Gorike is the reason , and i know how: the separation of bass from mids frequencies contamination, giving a complete holographical presentation because each instrument own his bass and mids more autonomously non contaminated from the single membrane ...

Add two cells instead of only one as with the K240 , and you have more naturalness, and in many good recording a speaker like impression with deep bass and out of the head projection ...

if you let the grid of plastic, dont put anti vibration and damping materials inside, put the wrong pads, use no equalization , use and ordinary headphone amplifier, you will not felt the full potential S. Q. of the K340 ...you will write as some reviewers even experienced one did , read stereophile article, that there is a mismatch between the two cells , and you will fault it instead of faulting your misunderstanding of the more innovative and complex design of one of the best headphone ever made ...

I wish music will create peace on earth for all ...

Merry christmas...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back