AKG K324 vs. Creative EP 630 vs. Sennheiser CX 300
Mar 17, 2007 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mowses

New Head-Fier
The title says something about my dilemma. My Sony MDR-EX 70 are about to die and need to be replaced as soon as possible.

Now that I saw the AKG and had a look around head-fi and headphonereviews.org I am not so sure that I want to buy the MDR-EX 71. I found the AKG and something in my head said that AKG makes good headphones.

Price is not really the issue here:
Creative EP 630 28,95 Euro
Sennheiser CX 300 32,90 Euro
AKG Acoustics K 324 P 39,95 Euro

I have to admit that I don't want to have headphones that the whole world uses. That's one reason why I can't stand all those people showing of their iPod headphones. Even when they are not powered by an iPod...
blink.gif

As far as I have read about the EP 630 they have what is called Y-cords? MEaning the cable to the left and right headphone are of equal length. Is that true? Cause I hate that. :wink:

My question to all you headfis out there is wheter the Sennheiser and AKG have Y-Cords as well or whether their cables are of unequal length.

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

MEaning the cable to the left and right headphone are of equal length. Is that true?

True
CX300s cable is unequal lenght
Haven't heard AKGs but CX300s compared to EP630s sound IMO slightly better
AKG are based on the same driver, so these 3 models sound similar. If I were you, I'd buy CX300s

May 11, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True
CX300s cable is unequal lenght
Haven't heard AKGs but CX300s compared to EP630s sound IMO slightly better
AKG are based on the same driver, so these 3 models sound similar. If I were you, I'd buy CX300s

I really wonder where you got your info from, maybe the housings came from the same factory in China but the K324s are very different drivers than the CX300s as shown:

K324P
Type: Dynamic, closed-back
Efficiency: 121 dB SPL/V
Frequency range: 12 Hz to 23.5 KHz
Cable: 1.15 m (3.8 ft.) 99.99% oxygen-free Connector Hard Gold-plated jack 3.5 mm

CX300
Type: Dynamic, open-back
Efficiency: 112 dB SPL/V
Frequency range: 18 Hz to 21 KHz
Cable: Asymmetrical, L: 170 mm; R: 510 mm, (850 mm divider to plug)
Connector: Normal Jack 3.5 mm (angled)

Quite different animals really.

Read the book first, and don't judge the covers!

May 11, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 10
For me, the CX 300 had unacceptable cord microphonics. Walking out side in a breeze, the air going over the cords made a lot of noise. Even when I put the cords over my ears. I've not had that problem with any other canal phone or IEM.

May 11, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 10
At first I was quite happy with the Sennheisers. Two things really annoy me though. They have a kind of silicone cable which is really sticky. This makes it difficult to guide it tunder your t-shirt or jumper. And the cable is significantly shorter than my old Sony cable. It's enough to get from my head to my trouser pants where my DAP lives but when I take my player out to adjust the volume or something it gets kinda complicated. Did I forget to mention that the cabling makes a cheap impression? The cable is actually two cables all the way which just divide at the top. My old Sony headphones had the two cables in one housing making it look like just one thick cable. And the cable which led to the right headphne came out on the back of that dividing point. I hope you know what I mean. I somehow feel like the Sonys made a better impression quality wise.

But the Sennheisers are still quite good for the price I paid. So what the hell.

May 11, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wonder where you got your info from, maybe the housings came from the same factory in China but the K324s are very different drivers than the CX300s as shown:

Yes, evidence does seem to be mounting that Foster's of Japan (who it seems makes all of these canalphones) is tweaking the driver between these models, and perhaps has even used a different driver entirely. However, the issue is practically moot, since there are now equivalently good earphones for much less (the Marshmallows, for instance) or clearly better ones for the same price (e.g., the Crossroads Mylarone 3)

May 11, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 10
IMHO, I would not consider them as for the similar price range you can get better stuff like the crossroads mylars which beats those models by a large margin in terms of SQ. I would allude them to be the giant-killer koss ksc75 of the iem category.

Oct 7, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 10
Been using the EP630 for 5 yrs. Never tried the CX300s. EP630s are a very reliable workhorse, that from time to time surprises me with its clarity and soundstage on some tracks. Not bad for $10 off ebay. Also, EP630s are almost nuclear bomb proof.

Got the k324s today (bought for cycling, $11 off ebay). I am currently listening in my 1st hr out of the box and had to write this as I was sooo impressed with the sound.

Fit - the best fit i have every had, also the lightest (great for sport). Can wear for several hours without fatigue. But all three models will feel the same I guess.

Bass - tight and controlled, but still very deep, even after only 1hr listening. Completely different to EP630 which is very deep and muddy. I cant wait to put 100hrs on these k324s (EP630s took about 100hrs to mature). I much prefer tight and controlled to deep and muddy. Having said that, the k324s still give that chest thumping wallop on deep tracks. Basshounds may have to look elsewhere though.

Mids - fantastic, almost perfect

Highs- a little too harsh for my liking. May soften up over time. Hopefully.

Soundstage - so much better than EP630 out of the box. Not as good as Klipsch Custom 3s but these are up there with the best.

To answer the question, in my limited experience, the k324s are way better than the EP630s even fresh out of the box compared to 5 yr old EP630s. They may all be made in the same factory, but the machine under the bonnet is completely different. I am so impressed and am going to buy another 2 pairs as a backup. I don't think IEMs can get better than this in the near or even distant future (especially for $11).

BTW - I also own Klipsch Custom 3, Shure PTH530s. Custom 3 are my favourite because of fit and sound character (could use a little more bass though).

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 10
Y-Type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back