AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
May 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #602 of 4,058
Quote:
That's a good question.  I never had much issue w/ vacuum suck so I imagine the venting handled that well.  Sadly I don't have them anymore to try out on an upcoming flight.  That would have been the answer I think you were looking for.  >.<

Thanks for the reply. That does sound promising but not yet definitive. MuppetFace, can you please comment?

May 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #605 of 4,058
Quote:
AKG K3003 Impressions

Summary:

The K3003 is a relatively superb universal but trying to bring it up to the performance level of my UERM accentuates some inherent issues in my experience. Another review mentioned the K3003 flirting at times with becoming too hot or problematic and then pulling back just before it became an issue. I'd concur with this impression using the reference filters. Unfortunately, I decided the treble filter with stock tips would be needed for me to hear a similar level of dynamics and resolution when compared to my customs. This makes the peaks of the K3003 troublesome and potentially fatiguing over the long run. Not so much an immediate attack on the senses but more of a test of aural endurance. None of these issues are found on my UERM or ES5 and they yield equivalent or better low level detail. I can hear hiss from the tracks, not the source or amp but from the master. More precise imaging and better separation are where I can appreciate another advantage over the K3003 during my time with them versus the ES5 and RMs respectively. The ES5 is less accurate and precise in sound stage type imaging, but insanely realistic in how it renders the holographic imaging of an actual instrument. I consider this a second type of imaging. K3003 is a tad wide and flatter/linear in width but I get less sense of precise placement. The RMs let you hear sibilance from the tracks in question because they are in the mix but it's not fatigue inducing or painful. The ES5 is never fatiguing by comparison, it just wants to drench your soul in rich, textured mids without offending you in the upper registers. In comparison to the AKGs, guitar, cymbals, rides, high hats, are all more distinguishable and music is not as smeared using some of my test tracks. Trade that more 'natural' bass roundness and decay character and sub bass extension for greater bass clarity some might find less natural and that's how the UERM low end compares yet is still well rounded and present. The ES5 still renders all the detail despite having more low end and keeps more separation than the K3003. With respect to coherence, I tend to be quite sensitive especially with triple driver BA's. The UERM is the only triple driver I've ever kept and the best implementation of 3 balanced armatures I've heard but still not perfect, just not offensive. I prefer the dual driver B2/DBAs and the amazingly coherent five driver ES5. Don't ask me why the triples bother me by comparison. Even dual driver dynamics bother me like the DDM. Single drivers are obviously oblivious to coherence issues. With the K3003 there were some occasions I could tell the woofer sound from the armatures in both speed and tonality but it wasn't terrible compared to other such hybrid attempts and would likely go unnoticed by most listeners.

Pros-one of the best if not the best universal performance around. Universal nature and filters allow for tip selection to be tailored/tuned to the listeners preferences. Case is a beautiful sleek design and so are the phones. 'Natural' bass timbre if you are accustomed to the sound of a dynamic driver as a reference.

Cons-price/performance ratio not as good as the UERM/ES5 IMHO. Case can't fully close with the phones actually inside! Who does that?! Some select treble peaks may or may not bother the listener. Lack of fully integrated signature if you notice such things.

Nice impressions Anaxilus

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #607 of 4,058
Hi all,

Rather new to this forum but hope to learn more here.

Between K3003 and FI-BA-SS (or others), which can you listening to for hours and hours without getting listening fatigue and comfort?

Thinking which will suits those long haul flights best.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #608 of 4,058
Quote:
Hi all,

Rather new to this forum but hope to learn more here.

Between K3003 and FI-BA-SS (or others), which can you listening to for hours and hours without getting listening fatigue and comfort?

Thinking which will suits those long haul flights best.

I don't think either have terribly good isolation for noisy plane flights.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #612 of 4,058
Quote:
Thanks.

What about in terms of presentation. sometime laid-back and not too "in your face" which I personally tends to get tired faster?

Ranking from laid-back to "in-your-face" will be  FI-BA-SS -> K3003 -> MH334 TO GO in my opinion.    However, each has its own sound signature and also source dependent and varies with music genre.    I have various DAP and so I switch around a lot.     FI-BA-SS more picky on source with K3003 most easy to match with any source you feed at it.    MH334 TO GO is easy to match as well and with the best isolation and almost Custom-like sound, makes everything sound clearer, tighter, music more layered.    It may seem "in your face" at first but after getting use to it, you will find the others underwhelming.     Sorry I may confuse you, but for jacks of all trades, K3003 may still have an edge as the most FUN of the lot if i may use the word, or the most balanced "laid-back" iem.   And if you really looking for the most laid-back iem which you can listen for hours without fatigue, check out the Final Audio Design Piano Forte VII to X.   They have the most "laid-back" presentation of any iem I have tried.     

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #613 of 4,058
where would you put a JH13 and Shure E5C (which I have been using for the last 8 years!) on this scale? i also have a Senheisser pcx-450 which is meant for airplane. but i can hardly use it over 2 hours. too hot and uncomfortable for me. IEMs are better.

i tried a K3003 today with a DX100. Seems that it doesn't sit as firmly in my left ear. Maybe my left ear needs a smaller bud. when i do push it in tigher, the basses do comes out nicely. but it has a unique lows to it. but comes to jazz vocals is really where she excels in. very nice ls soft airy vocals. would the FI-BA-SS be even softer?

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #614 of 4,058
Quote:
where would you put a JH13 and Shure E5C (which I have been using for the last 8 years!) on this scale? i also have a Senheisser pcx-450 which is meant for airplane. but i can hardly use it over 2 hours. too hot and uncomfortable for me. IEMs are better.

i tried a K3003 today with a DX100. Seems that it doesn't sit as firmly in my left ear. Maybe my left ear needs a smaller bud. when i do push it in tigher, the basses do comes out nicely. but it has a unique lows to it. but comes to jazz vocals is really where she excels in. very nice ls soft airy vocals. would the FI-BA-SS be even softer?

Sorry I don't have the JH13 and Shure E5C so can't compare them.   I have the JH16pro and definitely it is not laid-back, and should be right next to the MH334.  

The tips provided for the K3003 comes in 3 sizes and due to the material used it can be tricky for those ears between M & L size.   I managed to get a good fit on M-size so no problem there.    You can read some really good reviews of the comparison between K3003 and FI-BA-SS from James444 on Page 14 on this thread.   For jazz and vocals, sometimes the FI-BA-SS can really surprise you just how good they are for a single BA driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back