AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jul 18, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #3,106 of 4,058
yeah - think that is worth mentioning coz not only do those tips go deeper into the ear canal than the stock tips, resulting in a deeper seal and increased sound isolation, they might also make the fit more secure and alter the sound signature.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3,107 of 4,058
Its to bad I don't have an opportunity to demo before buying. I will likely pull the trigger on these although I doubt I will use a shallow fit, but most likely complys as oval style rubber tips never seem to work for me. I've read good things with the complys and these even though they may change the sound a little. Anyway, had a chance to audition a couple of open ear headphones today from audeze and wow what an experience. I know these won't be at that level but wow what a solid company!

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #3,108 of 4,058
seems to me that folks usually end up buying the gear they're attracted to no matter what anyone says. it's a process they just have to go through i guess.

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #3,109 of 4,058
At the end of the day, these are all subjective opinions based on everyone's own ears and preferences. I did some research and contacted others and it seems that people wear it shallow or deep, along with many walking with them and achieving a strong seal. Many of these points are also from hifi type websites doing reviews, which I understand can have some biases. I guess everyone's ears are different and appreciate your opinion, but I probably won't know how I like to wear them until I try them on. Based on the information I've gathered, it looks like achieving a snug fit shouldn't be an issue for most although some, like yourself, prefer a more shallow fit. I feel like I've done my due diligence and it's worth giving it a shot.

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #3,110 of 4,058
the k3003 is designed for shallow insertion in the ear - that's about as close to a fact as you'll come across at this forum. sure you can achieve a snug fit (which is not the same thing) or modify it with longer aftermarket tips but it is what it is. i've no doubt that your subjective experience will be the same as everyone else's unless you have abnormally large ear canals. i'm not trying to put you off from buying what i think is a great sounding earphone btw - just being straight wiith you.

Jul 19, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #3,111 of 4,058
the k3003 is designed for shallow insertion in the ear - that's about as close to a fact as you'll come across at this forum. sure you can achieve a snug fit (which is not the same thing) or modify it with longer aftermarket tips but it is what it is. i've no doubt that your subjective experience will be the same as everyone else's unless you have abnormally large ear canals. i'm not trying to put you off from buying what i think is a great sounding earphone btw - just being straight wiith you.

I agree.   In my case I have tried numerous tips to get a more snug  fit and just went back to the stock tips.  I am resigned to the fact that its a loose fit and if I move around much it will fall out.  However the quality of sound makes it all worth it.  

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #3,112 of 4,058
stock tips are just fine , maybe you all have weird ears

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #3,114 of 4,058
K3003 "front vent mod":

Introduction

The AKG K3003 are among my favorite IEMs, but recent listening comparisons with the DUNU 2000J have made me realize that the latter's bass is not only a bit tighter, but also more tastefully integrated with the rest of the sound signature. While I still ended up preferring the K3003 overall (by a slight margin) due to more refined sounding mids and treble, I also caught myself wishing the AKGs had a little less bass emphasis. Or, in other words: the DUNUs have spoiled me in that regard...

As shown in Rin's frequency response graph, the K3003 with reference filters are actually noticeably bassier than "reference". Now, the obvious remedy for this coloration would simply be to EQ the mid/upper bass a bit down, and there are no objections to that. But being the curious mind that I am, I kept wondering whether a similar effect could be achieved with a simple and reversible modification of the IEM itself.

Instructions

The only things required for this mod are a spare Sony hybrid tip and a small cutter knife.

Cut two 1mm slices off the hybrid's tip stem.

Stretch one slice over each nozzle. They will serve to seal the pressure equalization vents (see arrow).

Align the slice with the nozzle base, so that the vent is fully sealed. Now put the tips on and listen to one of your favorite test tracks.

Your test track should sound noticeably bassier than before. If you don't hear a difference, check whether the vents are fully sealed.

If you hear a bass increase in both earpieces, you're good to proceed. Cut two 1 x 8mm stripes off the hybrid's tip cap.

Now, this is the tricky part: take the K3003 tips off and place a stripe alongside the nozzle, so that it protrudes about 1mm at the front end.
Hold it carefully in place with your fingertip as you put the tip back on.

Check the result: you should see the stripe from outside, but it must not protrude further than shown in the picture.

Congrats, you're done!
smile_phones.gif

How it works (I think...)

To be completely honest, I didn't think this mod would work at all. By blocking the pressure equalization vent and introducing air leakage with help of tiny stripes, I'm actually only trading the stock front vent for a DIY one. However, it seems that slightly more air is able to escape alongside the stripes than through the stock vent, and that results in slightly less bass energy reaching the ear drum. As far as I can tell, the rest of the frequency spectrum remains widely unaffected.

How it sounds (imo)

Better! (or else I would have kept this to myself :wink:  No day and night difference to stock sound, but perceived bass is more linear down to 40Hz, after which it gently starts to roll off. Overall bass levels are a few dBs lower than before, making the K3003 even a smidgen less bassy than the 2000J. Personally, I'm going to stick with the mod.

(Disclaimer: I've found this mod to be safe and completely reversible. Even so: try at your own risk.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back