AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Jul 20, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #3,124 of 4,058
Hmmm maybe the shure se535ltd is better for me. Although I can get the k3k for $600 from and authorized dealer, which make it tough to pay almost the same amount for an inferior headphone.
frown.gif

buy The K3 , at that price it's a no brainer

plus you will be able to sell it here easily at zero loss

535 is no contest whatsoever

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #3,125 of 4,058
Hmmm maybe the shure se535ltd is better for me. Although I can get the k3k for $600 from and authorized dealer, which make it tough to pay almost the same amount for an inferior headphone.
frown.gif

If you plan to use your IEMs first and foremost in noisy surroundings, you better include isolation as an evaluation criterion. Take a look at these measurements of noise attenuation for both the SE535 and K3003 (the lower the curve, the better):

(source: Innerfidelity headphone data sheets)

You can see that the AKGs have virtually zero isolation for low frequencies and slightly better, but still less isolation than the Shures in the midrange. You could probably improve that a bit by choosing deeper sealing tips, but no tips on earth will make the K3003 isolate like the SE535, because that's just not what they were designed for.

I love my K3003 in quiet surroundings, but I choose a pair of (modded) $40 AKG Y23 over them for commuting, because the latter sound fairly decent and isolate better.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #3,126 of 4,058
I'm not an audiophile, but was thinking at that price range maybe I'm better off looking at open headphones for home use such as the audeze el-8 or grado ps500e. However I can see the convenience of in ears like the k3003 vs open. I was just hoping to find one headphone for my purposes rather than get into multiple. I may still pickup the k3003 and hope to be wowed since it seems like I can get my money back selling on here

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,127 of 4,058
I'm not an audiophile, but was thinking at that price range maybe I'm better off looking at open headphones for home use such as the audeze el-8 or grado ps500e. However I can see the convenience of in ears like the k3003 vs open. I was just hoping to find one headphone for my purposes rather than get into multiple. I may still pickup the k3003 and hope to be wowed since it seems like I can get my money back selling on here

I have not heard very good things about this headphone from friends of mine :l 

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #3,128 of 4,058
frown.gif

The sure 535 isn't even in the same leauge as the k3.  Had em both.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #3,129 of 4,058
The sure 535 isn't even in the same leauge as the k3.  Had em both.

I hear yeah. It's just tough because I'd rather find one headphone to wear in a variety of situations that's high quality rather than have separate ones for dedicated purposes. the shure se846 may fit the bill but they look strange in my opinion with the see through shells and appear bulky. The ie800 have microphonic issues and I wouldn't want to wear them behind my ear.

Also, It was recommended that I check out Dita. Any thoughts if that would be a better headphone for isolation? It's a lot more money at the cost I can get the k3k so not sure if it's worth it.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #3,130 of 4,058
If you plan to use your IEMs first and foremost in noisy surroundings, you better include isolation as an evaluation criterion. Take a look at these measurements of noise attenuation for both the SE535 and K3003 (the lower the curve, the better):

You can see that the AKGs have virtually zero isolation for low frequencies and slightly better, but still less isolation than the Shures in the midrange. You could probably improve that a bit by choosing deeper sealing tips, but no tips on earth will make the K3003 isolate like the SE535, because that's just not what they were designed for.

I love my K3003 in quiet surroundings, but I choose a pair of (modded) $40 AKG Y23 over them for commuting, because the latter sound fairly decent and isolate better.

yep. have no hesitation recommending the k3003 based on its sound quality but not for its noise isolation.

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,131 of 4,058

Hi all, are there owners of both the MDR-EX1000 and K3003 here? Unfortunately the Head-Fi search function is rather unwieldy so I'm wondering if those that do have shared any comparisons? I've had the EX1000 for a long time now and am looking for something that improves on it. In particular, I sometimes find the treble on the EX1000 to have an unnatural metallic tinge. Does the K3003 do better in this regard? Oh, and any suggestions for other IEMs that I should consider are welcome!

you got to try K3003 then :D

Will try to make arrangements
smily_headphones1.gif

Going through the thread more carefully, I've read a few posts that make me hopeful...

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #3,132 of 4,058
Also, It was recommended that I check out Dita. Any thoughts if that would be a better headphone for isolation? It's a lot more money at the cost I can get the k3k so not sure if it's worth it.

I had the Dita: it is not better headphone for isolation. The k3003 based on its sound quality is better as Dita. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #3,134 of 4,058
depends on what you want from an earphone i guess. the k3003 is fine for use in an office or walking along a residential street. it's not effective in a noisy subway or on a busy city street. the sound quality is compromised by the outside noise and you're faced with putting up or increasing the volume which will damage your hearing over time.

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #3,135 of 4,058
Quote:

Is this a fair comparison though. Is the 535 measurement not done with the Shure foam plugs? Stick foam plugs (Comply or otherwise) on any earphone and the isolation will dramatically improve, especially in the low frequencies. I could share some of my own measurements, but I'm not sure I can actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back