AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #407 of 4,058
Personally, I think it's great that a universal IEM is going toe-to-toe with the big boys of customs and taking a few rounds.  Or even winning the fight is some instances.

Given a choice between a custom and one of the aforementioned universals in this thread, I'd take the universals in a minute.  The reason is that I don't necessarily need what customs (potentially) surpass the universals on.  Sound isolation...not that important.  Perfect fit...I've never really had many problems with universals.

Besides, I tend to take the IEMs out on a regular basis while at work.  In 'n' Out (man, I miss those burgers!) all day long.  That wouldn't work too well with customs from everything I've gathered.

The ease of use and how they fit into my audio lifestyle dictates that universals are the best option for me.  Maybe some day I'll look into getting a pair of these.  But for now both Uncle Sam and Cardas stand in the way.   

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #409 of 4,058

Quote:
If that's correct, then this would be by far the best tuning of a TWFK imo. Rather sceptical though, since every TWFK based IEM I've heard so far had pretty distinctive "metallic" timbre, but not the K3003.

Actually AKG's diagram shows TWFK.
Maybe what makes K3003 so expemsive is that AKG asked Knowles to redo TWFK to match AKS's demand like motor changes inside drivers. Something that JH has done.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #410 of 4,058

Quote:
Actually AKG's diagram shows TWFK.
Maybe what makes K3003 so expemsive is that AKG asked Knowles to redo TWFK to match AKS's demand like motor changes inside drivers. Something that JH has done.

JH is said (by another custom manufacturer I spoke to) to use a DWFK in its JH16. The metallic timbre was very much present in the jh16 demo that I spent some quiet time with.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #411 of 4,058

Quote:
JH is said (by another custom manufacturer I spoke to) to use a DWFK in its JH16. The metallic timbre was very much present in the jh16 demo that I spent some quiet time with.

There's no DWFK only DFK
DFK (2xFK) is a dual tweeter TWFK(wbfk+fk) is woofer-tweeter or in many cases mid-tweeter
Remeber that JH is using standard frequency shaping with dampers. AKG uses also tips which tweek sound
One driver can really sound very different in a different application.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #414 of 4,058

Quote:
Do Westone 3 UM3x 4 or SM3 sound metalic?

ES5 does not sound metallic.  Very organic.  I've never heard anyone say the ES5 sounded artificially bright or metallic in the treble.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #416 of 4,058

Quote:
Nope for the W4 and SM3, haven't heard the others. Do all of these use the TWFK? I wasn't aware of that.

From a SM3 review of one friend i read SM3 has a "" transducer balanced armature double for medium and high frequencies, is the model of Knowles: TWFK-30017-000. This driver is also in the Jays q-Jays, dba Fisher-02 Audio, Ultimate Ears 700 and Audio Technica CK-10. The bass transducer has four times the size of TWFK essential to produce more vibration and consequent movement of air.""

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #418 of 4,058
Thanks for your impressions, Kevin. While I don't agree with everything said (imo EX1000 don't have typical IEM soundstage, FAD1601 are lavish and fascinating, but ultimately flawed), I certainly concur with your overall take on the K3003 :)

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #419 of 4,058

Quote:
Thanks for your impressions, Kevin. While I don't agree with everything said (imo EX1000 don't have typical IEM soundstage, FAD1601 are lavish and fascinating, but ultimately flawed), I certainly concur with your overall take on the K3003
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, you caught a "misspoke". I meant that the EX1000 has a soundstage typical of the best IEM levels of soundstage (and applicable to the K3003 also), not typical for IEM's in general.

And I agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the FAD1601 and hoped that had come through in my comments. They certainly are tonally flawed. But, but, but... Their tonal flaws somehow seem to flatter the music more often than detract. And in terms of soundstage, dynamics and instramental separation, they make most other IEM's in my experience sound like toys. I consider the FAD a guilty pleasure. And I often wonder whether their tonal flaws mean the designer dropped the ball or was a genius. Perhaps the "flaws" were intentional and necessary to the overall impression they convey. There's kind of nothing like them. Their flaws are so obvious and their excellences so great.

What I see I didn't properly convey is that the K3003 strikes me as taking the basic "rightness" of the EX1000 sound and add in elements of the FAD. The FAD, for all its flaws, struck me as the first IEM I had heard to start to bridge the gap between IEM and full size headphones (and stand up to some comparisons with the full size world). To me, the K3003 continues this, adding a generally neutral tonal balance to higher levels of dynamics, less overhang on notes (really noticable on piano trills and the like) and extended perceived dynamic accuracy and low level information retrieval. They still fall behind full size phones on expansiveness of soundstage and ability to play mega-loud (if that's your thang...) 

I would say the EX1000 is a great IEM, but the K3003 is an excellent headphone.

Best, Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back