AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #424 of 4,058
Hello,
They're a bargain for given the construction and sound quality.
Ditto for the Stax 009's which I also own.
Everything is relative. Paul Allen's $300,000,000. yacht and Bill Gates' $50,000,000. must be bargains to them. Having the money to purchase a pair of K 3003's is not out of range for many
dedicated listeners. The yacht and the house certainly are but given the money I 'd buy both.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #425 of 4,058

Quote:
Bargain?! Are you serious? You must be really rich to think they are a bargain...

I am not sure I would quite consider the K3003's a bargain and I am certainly not rich, but I would say if you can stretch to them you would probably be rewarded sonically.

Generally, a bargain implies a compromise. Only rarely is something inexpensive but still the best (or close to it). I would consider, say, the Sony EX-600 a bargain. There are quite a few better sounding IEM's out there, but the 600's have a high SQ-to-cost ratio and therefore qualify as a bargain.

Now in my case, I commute 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day on the train to work. So I listen to a lot of music on the train. All told, I probably listen to IEM's 50 times as much as full size phones (I have speaker-based systems to listen to at home). So if it costs what a top-tier full-size phone costs to get the performance I desire, why not? Not a bargain, but at the same time a reasonable value considering their performance. But I can understand some head-fi'ers investing in a FV-700, EX-1000 or the like and calling it a day...

Best, Kevin

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #426 of 4,058

Quote:
Hello,
Everything is relative. Paul Allen's $300,000,000. yacht and Bill Gates' $50,000,000. must be bargains to them. Having the money to purchase a pair of K 3003's is not out of range for many
dedicated listeners. The yacht and the house certainly are but given the money I 'd buy both.

Sorry but this is nonsense.  You might want to look up the definition of 'bargain', you won't find a picture of an oil sheikh paying MSRP at Cartier.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #430 of 4,058
Quote:
Hello,

Yes!  I remember reading the SR-009 was selling like hot-dogs at a baseball game and then fetching even higher prices in ebay auctions.

Not sure what audio has to do with yachts however you may want to get a paper and pencil to elaborate as I am interested in your theory.

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #432 of 4,058

Quote:
Already the last 5 pages of this thread have absolutely no useful information about the K3003s at all. There's mostly been meaningless posts (yet again) on the subject of an expensive universal vs customs. This is how so many threads get derailed so easily, and it then becomes more and more difficult for people to find valuable & relevant information on the piece of gear being discussed.

Perhaps those who think the K3003 is (too) overpriced, overrated, and that customs are a (much) better option, should start a thread themselves to discuss these issues and try convince others the AKGs are possibly one of the worst buys people can make.

Ideally this thread should be informative and have a fair share relevant discussion. Discussion can obviously include negative impressions, but only once one has actually tried or purchased the product being discussed. That doesn't mean that every single post has to be dead serious. Humour is absolutely fine at times, but of the 29 pages on this thread so far, maybe only 4/5 of them provide relevant information. 

Well, isn't it okay as long as it is related to the AKG K3003 and most expensive universals which it is part of it? It's still on topic. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #433 of 4,058
Well, I've learned something new (and imo useful) from the recent TWFK driver discussion and I really appreciated Kevin's posts, including the link to his review. And that's just the last two pages. But I agree with you that the "worth it or not" discussion is rather pointless in any thread.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #434 of 4,058

Well the Unique Melody Merlin and the Thousound Sound TS842 do appear quite similiar to the K3003 in their internals and both companies have confirmed the option for users to have a universal nozzle and tip, so I hope someone compares them to the K3003 at some point, that's all I have to say on that discussion. =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back