AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 6, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,751 of 4,058
Thanks for this! Honest question: you weren't expecting genuine from AliExpress for that price right? :)

The ones in the listing I'm following look like the correct leather case, but I'm still scared to roll the dice. I guess if I can't buy the known-genuine ones for the price AKG says they should be, I should not being buying them at all. But, we'll see what I can come up with. 

-Collin-

Lol, no, was curious about them so thought I'd pick a set up. They are impressive copies though. I'm sure there are deals on Ebay, I think the case is a good indicator but I guess what I realised is everything can be cloned theses days so caution is advised. Sad really.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #3,753 of 4,058

Same here, while I still consider the K3003 the best hybrid I've heard, I've come full circle back to DD sound. Only in my case it's a modded Fostex cheapo that supplanted the K3003. 
wink.gif

How would you compare the AK T8iE MKII to the K3003? After a somewhat disappointing CA Vega audition, these or Beyerdynamic's own Xelento variant have been on my radar lately.

Hi James,

I think they're more alike than different. The differences tend to be related to the drive technology. So where I think the AK bests the K3003 is in timbral decay - a cymbal fades away, it just doesn't stop. Strings on a guitar vibrate after the chord - this is something I'd associate with a single driver, no crossover to worry about. Male vocals are a little more front and center. Sound is a little more cohesive (not that the K3003 isn't...), again all part of that no crossover. Vice versa the K3003 has to my mind a better bass reproduction (capturing that thrum of an acoustic bass better ) - this is part of the dedicated driver approach. It also has a better sense of order when things get loud or complex ie it scales better (albeit not by much but still noticeable) handing off different parts of the spectrum to different drivers helps here. I find these characteristics similar across all sources I own - Cowon P1, AK70, Mojo, Fiio X3ii.

One thing to note is that tip rolling is a whole new world with the AK. Seriously the sound changes more with different tips than any other iem I've heard. It is such that whether you like it or not could depend on the pairing of tips. For me the wrong tips can give either a bass strong (spinfits) or bass weak (comply) emphasis.

Oh and I agree with you on the Vega. I don't know whether they were burned in or not or whether there was an impedance mismatch with the Cowon, but I have never heard an iem where the bass just flat-out dominated everything. Didn't matter the genre - classical - Prokofiev Lt Kije suite, jazz - Miles Davis In a silent Way, EDM - Grimes Art angels, classic pop - Roxy music Avalon - the bass smacked down everything. It was good bass, but... Really struggled to spend a couple of hours auditioning them.

regards,

Giles

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #3,754 of 4,058
   Hi James,

I think they're more alike than different. The differences tend to be related to the drive technology. So where I think the AK bests the K3003 is in timbral decay - a cymbal fades away, it just doesn't stop. Strings on a guitar vibrate after the chord - this is something I'd associate with a single driver, no crossover to worry about. Male vocals are a little more front and center. Sound is a little more cohesive (not that the K3003 isn't...), again all part of that no crossover. Vice versa the K3003 has to my mind a better bass reproduction (capturing that thrum of an acoustic bass better ) - this is part of the dedicated driver approach. It also has a better sense of order when things get loud or complex ie it scales better (albeit not by much but still noticeable) handing off different parts of the spectrum to different drivers helps here. I find these characteristics similar across all sources I own - Cowon P1, AK70, Mojo, Fiio X3ii.

One thing to note is that tip rolling is a whole new world with the AK. Seriously the sound changes more with different tips than any other iem I've heard. It is such that whether you like it or not could depend on the pairing of tips. For me the wrong tips can give either a bass strong (spinfits) or bass weak (comply) emphasis.

Oh and I agree with you on the Vega. I don't know whether they were burned in or not or whether there was an impedance mismatch with the Cowon, but I have never heard an iem where the bass just flat-out dominated everything. Didn't matter the genre - classical - Prokofiev Lt Kije suite, jazz - Miles Davis In a silent Way, EDM - Grimes Art angels, classic pop - Roxy music Avalon - the bass smacked down everything. It was good bass, but... Really struggled to spend a couple of hours auditioning them.

regards,

Giles

Thanks for your detailed description, Giles! 
smile_phones.gif

As a side note, impedance mismatch is only an issue with BAs, not DDs. The Vegas are sadly too bass dominant, regardless of source.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3,755 of 4,058
Received the K3003 a few hours ago and I'm a bit concerned. On page 244, a member points out all the tell-tale signs of a counterfeit/fake K3003. Mine matches his photos 100%. But a few posts before that, a member shows photos of a pair he just picked up from an AKG dealer and mine also match those photos! So, did tiny details change when they switched to production in China? 

They sound fine to me, but they are by no means bright with the Reference filters. I'm not treble sensitive, but with the reference filters I'm getting some serious bass slam and borderline rolled off treble depending on what tips I use. I mean, they sound good to great to me with just an hour of listening, but this doesn't quite match what I've read about the K3003 sound signature. The seller provided a receipt that these were purchased from Crutchfield, so I'm probably being overly cautious. Any thoughts welcome!

Edit: source is a Grace M9XX from Massdrop which is a fairly neutral source. 

Edit 2 (sorry!): these need a ton of power to drive properly! 

-Collin-

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,756 of 4,058
Received the K3003 a few hours ago and I'm a bit concerned. On page 244, a member points out all the tell-tale signs of a counterfeit/fake K3003. Mine matches his photos 100%. But a few posts before that, a member shows photos of a pair he just picked up from an AKG dealer and mine also match those photos! So, did tiny details change when they switched to production in China? 

They sound fine to me, but they are by no means bright with the Reference filters. I'm not treble sensitive, but with the reference filters I'm getting some serious bass slam and borderline rolled off treble depending on what tips I use. I mean, they sound good to great to me with just an hour of listening, but this doesn't quite match what I've read about the K3003 sound signature. The seller provided a receipt that these were purchased from Crutchfield, so I'm probably being overly cautious. Any thoughts welcome!

Edit: source is a Grace M9XX from Massdrop which is a fairly neutral source. 

Edit 2 (sorry!): these need a ton of power to drive properly! 

-Collin-

Can you post a pic of the case? And the 3.5mm plug?

A good fit is key. I use comply ts500 but any of the 500 series are good.

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,757 of 4,058
So I think the most bizarre thing is that either I'm an idiot (entirely possible) or the cable length is WAY off for the case they have provided for me. I even looked at all the photos of the IEMs inside their case and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the plug to end up where it should be at the latch! Here are some photos. The ones showing the plug are where the 3.5mm plug ends up when I wind the IEMs up in the case. Also of note: the scratch inside the box in the first photo. These have never been opened before, so isn't that a bit concerning? Unless the person packing them had some seriously long nails. 

Thanks for having a look for me. Serial number is mid 27xxx. 

-Collin-

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #3,759 of 4,058
Looking at this post http://www.head-fi.org/t/554628/akg-k3003-high-end-3-way-system-headphone/3645#post_12931204 I'd say it's possible you have a fake. A lot of your photos correspond to the fake not 'genuine' product eg the logo cutout.  Furthermore, that plug looks gold, not rose gold as per the original. There are differences in the case cutouts as well. Granted I have an original 'Made in Austria', but I wouldn't have thought there'd be that many changes...Have you actually contacted Crutchfield to confirm that they sold your iems? That would be the easiest way to check authenticity.

regards,

Giles

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #3,760 of 4,058
  Looking at this post http://www.head-fi.org/t/554628/akg-k3003-high-end-3-way-system-headphone/3645#post_12931204 I'd say it's possible you have a fake. A lot of your photos correspond to the fake not 'genuine' product eg the logo cutout.  Furthermore, that plug looks gold, not rose gold as per the original. There are differences in the case cutouts as well. Granted I have an original 'Made in Austria', but I wouldn't have thought there'd be that many changes...Have you actually contacted Crutchfield to confirm that they sold your iems? That would be the easiest way to check authenticity.

regards,

Giles

Thanks Giles. That post is exactly what I was referring to when I became suspicious of mine "matching" the supposed fake. But no one confirmed if that was actually fake, or just a newer version made in China. It's really hard to tell as there has been no confirmation from AKG that anything was changed. My plug is definitely gold and not rose gold. 

I'm not really sure what I would say to Crutchfield. I have the invoice, but it doesn't contain serial numbers. Anyone could have found this invoice and then sold me a counterfeit. 

I did chat with AKG, but they weren't helpful. Based on the serial, they couldn't tell me anything. But they mentioned that usually retailers do not record serial numbers sold, so they couldn't verify one way or another. I guess at this point, I'm unsure. I have no complaints on the sound quality. 

-Collin-

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #3,761 of 4,058
Thanks Giles. That post is exactly what I was referring to when I became suspicious of mine "matching" the supposed fake. But no one confirmed if that was actually fake, or just a newer version made in China. It's really hard to tell as there has been no confirmation from AKG that anything was changed. My plug is definitely gold and not rose gold. 

I'm not really sure what I would say to Crutchfield. I have the invoice, but it doesn't contain serial numbers. Anyone could have found this invoice and then sold me a counterfeit. 

I did chat with AKG, but they weren't helpful. Based on the serial, they couldn't tell me anything. But they mentioned that usually retailers do not record serial numbers sold, so they couldn't verify one way or another. I guess at this point, I'm unsure. I have no complaints on the sound quality. 

-Collin-

Unless AKG drastically changed things when production moved to China, I would say you almost certainly have a fake. The differences I found were, as was stated above, the 3.5mm connector on my fakes is a different colour (and ever so slightly 'bent'). As you mentioned the cable appears too long for the case and doesn't seem to tuck in at all. On the originals (my made in Austria ones) the leather case looks Very different and the phones fit perfectly

I was actually surprised that the fakes sounded as good as they did, they definitely employ the hybrid driver tech but compared to the originals the treble is Just totally different and the mid bass is bloated. Filters don't seem to make much difference either.

If you can get a refund, I would.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #3,762 of 4,058
On the right earpiece you will find a serial number after removing the tip.
Make a macro shot and provide the photo - the original one have this perfect laser engraved.
I also think you might got a counterfeit product - sorry 

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,764 of 4,058
Looks pretty clear to me?

looks kinda big to me - it's been 2 years since i sold mine but the number was barely seeable and probably smaller than here

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #3,765 of 4,058
Something fishy is definitely going on. I need to take my hopeful blindfolds off and realize that AKG wouldn't sell a $1200 earphone that doesn't fit in its own case. Also, the seller has now sold three identical listings, but the "invoice" only shows two.

Damn. Well now I want a real one and I guess I'm gonna have to pay for it lol. Wonder if I can send them to AKG to verify.

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back