AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Feb 15, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #3,781 of 4,058
  ...and just this pics look like the case is made of shiny leather instead of the hunting calf...
It is a good idea to order a genuine one from Amazon to compare - in the past i bought a fake CKR10 and after comparing with the genuine one i found several differences.

Good Luck

I have read on several threads that the case has changed over the years, though I don't know if this is true!

Hi Collin,
Are the serial numbers the same on the phone on the metal plate inside the box and on the paper band and the labels of the outer box?

Hi there, the serial on the IEM matches that on the box and the metal plate. I mean, that's pretty easy to fake though right? Although I really have to wonder who would go to this insane amount of trouble to produce a counterfeit IEM. Also, the seller got back to me and swears they were sourced from Crutchfield. He apparently owns a music studio and ordered quite a few pairs (and got a 30% discount for a bulk order) and had two extra that he sold. The other person left positive feedback. I'm really, really wondering if I'm just seeing the effects of production shifting to China? Not that China can't make fantastic IEMs, but I am speaking about the subtle differences like the case. I really want to believe these are genuine, and they sound fantastic! 

One other very curious thing though: the "reference filters" were installed, or so I thought. Then I realized the reference (grey) were threaded into the "high boost" section of the metal plate and in fact the "high boost" filters were installed from the factory. Would AKG seriously make a mistake like this? It's like one more thing that makes me question these! The seller said "they're 100% genuine, but I want you to be absolutely satisfied so you can return them if you want no questions asked." 

Collin
Is there anyway to dispute the sale as counterfeit ? I can't recall where you bought them.

Yes, they were from eBay. I'm not worried about losing money, I'm just more interested in finding out if these are real and keeping them haha. 

Thanks folks!

-Collin-

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #3,782 of 4,058
Collins,
I purchased my 3003s just a few weeks ago so they are made in China. My leather case looks different than yours. The side surfaces are not flat but have bended edges arround. The leather is not shiny but semi matt. There are no volume buttons on the 3003 only the 3003i has it nowdays. I have a label on the cable with designed in Austria text. My one arrived in a white carton box with sticker on both sides with modell number ean code and serial number as well. Later I can make some pics if you need.
Cheers,
Szabi

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #3,783 of 4,058
yep, production of the k3003 and k3003i moved to china quite some time ago. my k3003 was made in china.

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #3,784 of 4,058
I have read on several threads that the case has changed over the years, though I don't know if this is true!

Hi there, the serial on the IEM matches that on the box and the metal plate. I mean, that's pretty easy to fake though right? Although I really have to wonder who would go to this insane amount of trouble to produce a counterfeit IEM. Also, the seller got back to me and swears they were sourced from Crutchfield. He apparently owns a music studio and ordered quite a few pairs (and got a 30% discount for a bulk order) and had two extra that he sold. The other person left positive feedback. I'm really, really wondering if I'm just seeing the effects of production shifting to China? Not that China can't make fantastic IEMs, but I am speaking about the subtle differences like the case. I really want to believe these are genuine, and they sound fantastic! 

One other very curious thing though: the "reference filters" were installed, or so I thought. Then I realized the reference (grey) were threaded into the "high boost" section of the metal plate and in fact the "high boost" filters were installed from the factory. Would AKG seriously make a mistake like this? It's like one more thing that makes me question these! The seller said "they're 100% genuine, but I want you to be absolutely satisfied so you can return them if you want no questions asked." 

Yes, they were from eBay. I'm not worried about losing money, I'm just more interested in finding out if these are real and keeping them haha. 

Thanks folks!

-Collin-

The fantastic thing is the seller is standing behind what he sold you and that's impressive.
The fact they sound fantastic is great. Is it possible he swapped filters?

I guess the question comes down to well it wil. always bother you, if they're genuine were counterfeit. Personally, if that's the case I would return them.

The Chinese are masters at copying duplication, so it would not surprise me that counterfeits would go to extensive likes to look nearly perfect but then the long term quality and performance may be the issue

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,786 of 4,058
Hi Collin,

what is the matter with you - i told you a few days ago that you bought a 100% counterfeit product.
Also the item on ebay is a fake - i  know personally the developer of the original AKG K3000 developed in Vienna, Austria.

AKG didn''t change the leather case, the laser edging, the galvanization...

Please accept that you bought a counterfeit and return your item immediately.
Share more postings would not transform your fake into a genuine one...

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #3,787 of 4,058
  Hi Collin,

what is the matter with you - i told you a few days ago that you bought a 100% counterfeit product.
Also the item on ebay is a fake - i  know personally the developer of the original AKG K3000 developed in Vienna, Austria.

AKG didn''t change the leather case, the laser edging, the galvanization...

Please accept that you bought a counterfeit and return your item immediately.
Share more postings would not transform your fake into a genuine one...

Understood and point taken. I guess what's the "matter" with me is that this isn't crystal clear to me, but I digress. I'll return them. 

-Collin-

Edit: ordered a pair directly from Amazon. You can be assured that if they arrive with this "wrong" leather case, I will let you guys know :)

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #3,788 of 4,058
Just for fun, I dug up my made in China K3003 box that I bought from Amazon UK less than a year ago and the leather case isn't anything like yours or the eBay link you shared above at all. But frankly, it doesn't matter what colour or material the leather case looks like it is made of or how the engraved serial number looks on the earpiece itself as the difference could be due to lighting, angle, camera, etc, as long as the 3.5mm jack isn't rose gold in colour(yours definitely looks gold), you can be sure that it is a fake. I really doubt AKG changed anything when they moved production to China, I bought mine less than a year ago and my serial number is in the 31xxx range(so in theory made after your pair) and it looks exactly like the "legit" one in the comparison post. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #3,789 of 4,058
  Just for fun, I dug up my made in China K3003 box that I bought from Amazon UK less than a year ago and the leather case isn't anything like yours or the eBay link you shared above at all. But frankly, it doesn't matter what colour or material the leather case looks like it is made of or how the engraved serial number looks on the earpiece itself as the difference could be due to lighting, angle, camera, etc, as long as the 3.5mm jack isn't rose gold in colour(yours definitely looks gold), you can be sure that it is a fake. I really doubt AKG changed anything when they moved production to China, I bought mine less than a year ago and my serial number is in the 31xxx range(so in theory made after your pair) and it looks exactly like the "legit" one in the comparison post. 

Thanks for this, it's really helpful. Bummer for me. But my new pair will be here by 8pm today for me to compare sound and appearance in detail. 

-Collin-

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,790 of 4,058

Thanks folks!

-Collin-

Same, I was comparing the filters on my fakes (£60 from aliexpress) and the reference and high boost were swapped. Didn't really think anything of it at the time.

Again, for fakes they sound decent but not as good as the originals, those shimmering cymbals....man.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #3,791 of 4,058
Well, this post is going to be long and painful. 

My Amazon K3003i arrived today and I'll just say it: the previous ones I posted are 100% counterfeit fake AKG K3003is. I'm embarrassed and disappointed to say that, but lesson-learned. I let my hopefulness of them being real (for an insane deal) cloud my judgement on what was right in front of me. 

That said, I think some folks need to be aware of a few things. So, here are my lessons learned to start: 

1) A scanned invoice from a reputable dealer means absolutely nothing when buying on eBay. Anyone can download, create, modify, or simply pull out of thin air a document that looks like a receipt. In this case, I'll be reporting this seller to not only eBay, but to Crutchfield as he is likely falsifying documents with their name on it. 

2) Even a very nice, intelligent, articulated seller can be trying to screw you. He was so nice, accommodating, understanding, yet at the end of the day he is selling fake products on eBay. 

3) Hate to say it, but if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

Now, the IEMs. The new ones are completely different sounding, not even remotely similar. The mid-bass bloat on the counterfeit ones (while I actually kind of like it) is miles more in quantity than teh real ones. The real ones are neutral, accurate, "reference," transparent and overall extremely high quality. The counterfeit ones are a fun, consumer-friendly V-shaped sound that I thought was fairly good until I heard the real ones. 

Difference in visual appearances: 

1) The remote mic buttons on the real one have a reassuring click, are not sloppily made and as another poster mentioned, have a very well-defined point on the middle button. The one in front is the real one. 

2) The filters, while pretty close have subtle differences. The lower one in the photo is the real one and the metal is glossier, smoother and the corners are better defined. Also, from the factory, the fake ones had the "Reference" and "High Boost" reversed. I was listening to "High Boost the whole time and didn't know it, yet they still had tons of bass. 

3) Airplane adapter is of much higher quality on the real ones. The real one is on the right and as you can see, it is a very satin-like finish and the fake one is completely scratched up despite this being the first time I have ever even taken it out of the box. On that note, there are scratches all over the fake ones, yet they are brand new. 

4) Serial number engraving, it's just much cleaner on the original one. See the photo where the right one is the real one. 

5) Last but not least, the case. Yes, the real case despite having a late 35,xxx serial number is still the rounded, genuine, supple leather that ACTUALLY FITS THE IEMS IN IT! First case is real, second fake. 

I'm sorry that I cluttered this thread with nonsense about the fake ones I bought, but I hope this helps some other Head-Fi friends. On a cursory glance of eBay, I can tell you that at least 50% of the "new in box" ones are completely fake. This current environment just sucks and I am disgusted in myself for becoming part of it, but I plan to make this right to the best of my ability. 

Best, 

-Collin-

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #3,792 of 4,058
Collin
You are sending back the counterfeit for a refund as the seller offered correct?

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #3,793 of 4,058
Collin
You are sending back the counterfeit for a refund as the seller offered correct?

If I report them to eBay, they get destroyed and he loses everything and I get a refund. We'll see what kind of mood I'm in tomorrow! I have no tolerance for this.

-Collin-

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #3,794 of 4,058
Hi Collin - congratulations

In the past i made the similar experience with a Audio Technica CKR10 counterfeit from ebay.
For its own it looked and sound good - but after comparig side by side with the genuine one i found a lot of differences....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/752204/pictures-brand-new-audio-technica-ckr10s-box-etc-are-they-real-or-fake#post_13100896

LESSON LEARNED   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back