AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Dec 29, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #151 of 4,058

Quote:
They may have just made an exception.
wink.gif

Good to hear. I am their customer for many years now, but always hope they can open an online store as well.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #152 of 4,058

Quote:
All these hype about the AKG 3003 is making me curious. Might make a trip to stereo and give it a try. I guess the good thing about living in Singapore is its a small country that makes shopping so easy. 
beyersmile.png

It really depends on your personal preference. The AKG K3003s are hard to power, but they're super smooth, one of the smoothest IEM I have heard. But other then that, there really isn't anything else that can make you say "wow", so in my opinion, they are good, but not for the price. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #153 of 4,058
It really depends on your personal preference. The AKG K3003s are hard to power, but they're super smooth, one of the smoothest IEM I have heard. But other then that, there really isn't anything else that can make you say "wow", so in my opinion, they are good, but not for the price. 

Hard to power? I strongly disagree. They sound fantastic just using my iPhone.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #155 of 4,058
Quote:

Quote:
Hard to power? I strongly disagree. They sound fantastic just using my iPhone.

I would like to understand better this power issue. Do they ramp up strongly with amping?

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #158 of 4,058
At only 8 ohms they'll need an amp with a very low output impedance to avoid messing up the FR and they'll need something that doesn't cough up tons of distortion at such a low impedance.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #159 of 4,058
I've tried them out for about half an hour. Wouldn't really say they were very hard to power from my limited testing. Ran them straight out of my iphone4 and also used them in conjunction with the Headstage Arrow. Wouldn't say it resulted in a day and night difference which I would expect if they were hard to power.

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #160 of 4,058
At only 8 ohms they'll need an amp with a very low output impedance to avoid messing up the FR and they'll need something that doesn't cough up tons of distortion at such a low impedance.

And this is why the iPhone 4/4S/3GS is all you need if you have it. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #161 of 4,058

Quote:

That's the beauty of the K3003. Whether its connected to a simple iPhone or from a complicated 4 layered set-up with dac and multiple daisy-chained amps your song collection will always sound great.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #162 of 4,058
Quote:

Probably.  The output impedance should be fine for the FR but an 8 ohm load is so far outside the normal design specs that some otherwise fine-for-IEMs amp circuits could reasonably be expected to fall on their face driving it.  The initial reports look good though.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #163 of 4,058

Quote:

At 8ohm my worry isn't on output impedance, but on current draw. Sure it might sound really good on iPhone - but the question is, does it sound at its best?

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #164 of 4,058
Exactly because of the current need, is why output impedance is important and why it's very low on high end portable amps.

Low impedance IEMs will sound at their best with low OI sources, its been well proven. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #165 of 4,058

Quote:
Exactly because of the current need, is why output impedance is important and why it's very low on high end portable amps.

Low impedance IEMs will sound at their best with low OI sources, its been well proven. 

Quote:
Probably.  The output impedance should be fine for the FR but an 8 ohm load is so far outside the normal design specs that some otherwise fine-for-IEMs amp circuits could reasonably be expected to fall on their face driving it.  The initial reports look good though.

Quote:
At 8ohm my worry isn't on output impedance, but on current draw. Sure it might sound really good on iPhone - but the question is, does it sound at its best?

If you guys are worried about the K3003 at 8 ohms consider how messed up some head-fiers are going to be once the new Sony XBA IEM's become available worldwide. According to Sony the impedance on the new XBA line is only 4 ohms and from what I understand that's even weirder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back