AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
Dec 26, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #136 of 4,058

Quote:
Price drops are very common on the internet. But they hardly drop in shops. 

Just bought a set from Stereo in Singapore (very big headphone shop) and their prices are much lower than most internet prices for k3003, although not for everything so check your prices. They have both the iphone version and the non iphone version but I ended up with the iphone version for sgd100 more. They have prices in their webpage if anyone is interested to know.

Personally find the overall sound very balanced for my ears and they fit very well on me, my hubby on the other hand couldn't get a good fit and therefore didn't sounded good to him. I use the reference filters all the way and never curious to try the bass and treble filters since everything seems to work better for me with the default reference filters.

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #137 of 4,058
Quote:
Just bought a set from Stereo in Singapore (very big headphone shop) and their prices are much lower than most internet prices for k3003, although not for everything so check your prices. They have both the iphone version and the non iphone version but I ended up with the iphone version for sgd100 more. They have prices in their webpage if anyone is interested to know.

Personally find the overall sound very balanced for my ears and they fit very well on me, my hubby on the other hand couldn't get a good fit and therefore didn't sounded good to him. I use the reference filters all the way and never curious to try the bass and treble filters since everything seems to work better for me with the default reference filters.

Kate, SGD$1,499 is a very good price! So that advertsied price is for the non-iphone model and it's $1,599 for the iPhone model?

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #139 of 4,058

Quote:

I see, I use Stereo as a reference too, maybe that's why I'm seeing why it's so cheap. Is the AKG K3003 comparable to any high-end IEMs? Like say the Shure SE535 or Westone 4?

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #140 of 4,058
Quote:

Hi Kate, thanks for the heads up, I mailed them and asked about shipment to the EU.

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #142 of 4,058

Quote:
Hi Kate, thanks for the heads up, I mailed them and asked about shipment to the EU.

No problem. 
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #144 of 4,058
Since the thread is moving so slowly, I decided to register just to post my impressions of the K3003. This is what I posted on another forum just last week:

ElyrionX said:
 So I auditioned the Westone UM3X and the Etymotic ER4P. The UM3X has the samw veil I heard in the Westone 4 and lacks the separation and clarity I'm looking for. The ER4P had decent separation and clarity but was a little too bright and too much emphasis on the highs. However, auditioning the ER4P was more of an afterthought today because prior to that, I was listening to something far better; the AKG K3003.

My god. My ******* god. The K3003 are truly in a class of their own in the IEM space. I own the IE8 and have heard the W4, SE535 and UM3X. Not one of them even comes anywhere close to the clarity and separation and tonal balance the K3003 offers. They are highly analytical and fairly neutral. The bass is detailed and ever present but only comes to the forefront when needed. The highs are tight and controlled and never sibilant. The mids are just so ever slightly forward but are never dominant. These IEMs are the only ones I have found that comes anywhere close to replicating the Beyerdynamic T1. Simply incredible.

At more than a thousand dollars, they are not cheap. However, I don't wish to go down the customs route so these are my only option for now. My only concern is that the cable is non-detachable and I fear that should the cables be subject to the occasional bout of stress (a distinct possibility since I will be using them while traveling and commuting), I might end up with a $1000 deadweight.

To provide a bit more background to the quote above, my search for a new pair of IEMs was prompted after acquiring a pair of Beyer T1s and subsequently realizing that my IE8s just don't cut it anymore. I know it's an apples and oranges thing with headphones and earphones but, at the very least, I needed a more balanced sound signature and better separation than the IE8s were offering.

The music I listen to is primarily progressive metal/rock and it can be highly analytical and complex. There can be five separate instruments all contributing signifcantly to the track at the same time. Hence, separation and clarity is very important as the sound can be very veiled and muddied during the heavy and complex sections of the music. This was exactly what I experienced with the Westone 4s, which was a huge disappointment for me after hearing so much about them.

Right now, I am on the edge of picking up the no-remote version. However, the lack of a detachable cable is holding me back. I don't wish to buy one now only to see AKG release a detachable cable version six to twelve months from now.

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #145 of 4,058
Just tried the AKG 3003 today in regular configuration. All I can say is, this is the smoothest IEM I have ever heard. I can't justify paying the price for these and it is more worth it to go for customs, but some people might be able to. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #146 of 4,058
Quote:
Since the thread is moving so slowly, I decided to register just to post my impressions of the K3003. This is what I posted on another forum just last week:
To provide a bit more background to the quote above, my search for a new pair of IEMs was prompted after acquiring a pair of Beyer T1s and subsequently realizing that my IE8s just don't cut it anymore. I know it's an apples and oranges thing with headphones and earphones but, at the very least, I needed a more balanced sound signature and better separation than the IE8s were offering.
The music I listen to is primarily progressive metal/rock and it can be highly analytical and complex. There can be five separate instruments all contributing signifcantly to the track at the same time. Hence, separation and clarity is very important as the sound can be very veiled and muddied during the heavy and complex sections of the music. This was exactly what I experienced with the Westone 4s, which was a huge disappointment for me after hearing so much about them.
Right now, I am on the edge of picking up the no-remote version. However, the lack of a detachable cable is holding me back. I don't wish to buy one now only to see AKG release a detachable cable version six to twelve months from now.

Good comments. I doubt that you will see a detachable cable version of this IEM. Firstly the earphones are tiny. If the cable detaches, people will lose them. That would really cause unhappiness with the product. I don't think that AKG will risk that. And they are so tiny that there is barely room for a secure cable system.

I also don't think that this is the market that AKG is aiming for. This is not a "Head-Fi product" per se. It is aimed at the rich music listeners, people who drive a Lexus or Benz and have the most recent iPhone and best of every other gadget. 
smile.gif
  These people who will pay for high music quality and convenience direct from their iPhone (or other PAD). The target audience is not our portable amp, external DAC, cable swapping crowd. All IMHO of course.

I am quite intrigued.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #148 of 4,058

Quote:

The only problem is Stereo doesn't generally do online business, as far as I know.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #150 of 4,058
All these hype about the AKG 3003 is making me curious. Might make a trip to stereo and give it a try. I guess the good thing about living in Singapore is its a small country that makes shopping so easy. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back