AKG K271-MKII
May 20, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #31 of 88

Quote:
mmm,these are lovely and midsy out of my d2. very detailed but not obtrusively peaked yet sweet mids. Isolation and seal are next to 0 and the self adj headband wobbles if you use these as portables. Bass is fine for me. You also look like you're hosting ufos on your ears,but comfort is great

Niice.

Yep these are my most favourite headphone I have ever come across. Unbeatable characteristics as a package. Unbeatable.

May 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #32 of 88
Niice.

Yep these are my most favourite headphone I have ever come across. Unbeatable characteristics as a package. Unbeatable.

they also come with 2 sets of pads and cables :D (I'd usually expect no option of those at all, or as expensive accessories (e.g. HD25 cables and earpads)

May 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #33 of 88
apparently akg have announced that another top tier closed phone is coming out this year. Been a long time.

the k550- headfi was ontop of this in a flash.

But apart from a few specs on their brochure, the rest is a mystery.

May 20, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #34 of 88
apparently akg have announced that another top tier closed phone is coming out this year. Been a long time.

the k550- headfi was ontop of this in a flash.

But apart from a few specs on their brochure, the rest is a mystery.

heh... Wonder if it's a pimped out K271mk2 :D ... Non suspension type headband and rotatable cups '2d-something' ... Very un-akg like.

May 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #35 of 88
The build of this new k550 makes me think- It probably will be quite different from the original k271.

Still, the k271 is the special one.

My view on the k271
I mean, people go in the market for a phone with say certain specifics: Closed, Isolating, circumaural and sounds good.

And in my view, these are definately a top tier for this market just for the sound. In Soundstage dimensions and imaging it beats the ed8, d2k (sometimes), dt770pro80, a900, which I have tried. And in speed, resolution (tied with the ed8), and general dynamics within the highs and mids spectrum. Bass sometimes lacks in only quantity for me sometimes, but I don't give a monkeys. And it sounds good through whatever I play it with. With the cowon i9 'bbe headphone' setting, wow!!

Oh and before I say more, in the 'non sound dept' it impresses further. The lightest of them ones I've mentioned, most comfortable headband, surprisingly nice velour/ pleather pads and a relatively light cable. Perfect clamping force. And a surprisingly useful auto-mute switch that shuts off when you take it off.  

BUT only one thing seems to impede its claim of a true top tier....

...the price!!

Actually, I've only realised this now, but for me in the uk it was the cheapest out of them ones I've owned.

Conclusion
This serves to proove to those wrong, who worry about having to spend loads of $$$$ to get a top tier sound. You have it here with the k271mkII

May 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #36 of 88
The build of this new k550 makes me think- It probably will be quite different from the original k271.

Still, the k271 is the special one.

My view on the k271
I mean, people go in the market for a phone with say certain specifics: Closed, Isolating, circumaural and sounds good.

And in my view, these are definately a top tier for this market just for the sound. In Soundstage dimensions and imaging it beats the ed8, d2k (sometimes), dt770pro80, a900, which I have tried. And in speed, resolution (tied with the ed8), and general dynamics within the highs and mids spectrum. Bass sometimes lacks in only quantity for me sometimes, but I don't give a monkeys. And it sounds good through whatever I play it with. With the cowon i9 'bbe headphone' setting, wow!!

Oh and before I say more, in the 'non sound dept' it impresses further. The lightest of them ones I've mentioned, most comfortable headband, surprisingly nice velour/ pleather pads and a relatively light cable. Perfect clamping force. And a surprisingly useful auto-mute switch that shuts off when you take it off.  

BUT only one thing seems to impede its claim of a true top tier....

...the price!!

Actually, I've only realised this now, but for me in the uk it was the cheapest out of them ones I've owned.

Conclusion
This serves to proove to those wrong, who worry about having to spend loads of $$$$ to get a top tier sound. You have it here with the k271mkII

auto-mute is very nice at work. Hope it doesn't screw up the headphones by wearing out and randomly muting in a few months :D

May 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #38 of 88
I love my 271 mkII as the portable cans. And, they sound pretty OK out of the iPhone. Pictures from the easter holiday:

May 21, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #40 of 88
Had a listening session with K240 mkii, K271 mkii. K701 with the Burson amp. I feel that the Burson is really great with all of them, but between 240 and 271 the latter is really the one to pick up for not much more bucks. With the Burson I would still give an edge to 701, but for lesser amps the 271 may well easily have better result.

May 22, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #41 of 88
I love the K271MKII. I bought mine for $150 two months ago as an upgrade to the MDR-V6 and  have to say, the difference really was night and day as far as soundstage/imaging is concerned. Furthermore, these headphones don't overpan unatural stereo recordings like the new beatles release the way the A900 are known to, nor do they ever sound congested. With the V6 I honestly couldn't really tell a difference in imaging or perceived soundstage size against my Image S4. Well, there isn't any competition here; the've forever changed they way I listen to the S4.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just wondering though, are the K271MKII being discontinued? $150 seems to be there regular price now while the K272HD are around $250. That would be a shame
mad.gif

Edit: Grammer

May 23, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #43 of 88
I got a sen's HD25 1 II and k271 mkII, the only thing I can say is k271 absolutely what I prefer. By comparing these cans, I would give both of them the same marks on SQ. BTW k271 attracts me more than hd25 because of the comfort and the light/soften bass which very comfortable for long time listening. Also the uncoloured sound is really what i want to hear. Choosing a right can for yourself is a long long trip. So lucky I found what i want before I spending more $$ on trying/test right can for me. My next step - I'm still go for AKG for sure. K271 made me a fan of AKG cans.

May 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #45 of 88

Quote:
So lucky I found what i want before I spending more $$ on trying/test right can for me

It's a bit misleading sometimes the old intro to headfi 'welcome to headfi- sorry for your wallet.'

Definately don't need to be that way, even if one is looking for their best sound.

The k271 is my favourite headphone, but the shure se315 is another one that illustrates my point. I found this to be better sounding than the se535, which in itself beats others like westone 4, and sm3 in more than a few peoples view.

Quote:
do you guys have problem with the R  & L caps ?mine it always came off and I need to use super glue to stick it again

Never heard of that before. I got mine new from amazon yonks ago. And it's still in gleaming condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back