AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jan 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #575 of 1,737

Quote:
I would just buy another pair and hope for the best...

I hate to agree with this, but I do.  I think the latest models are still 20 yrs old.  It's possible you got a bad pair.  Although if the L & R sound the same, I think it would be rare that both drivers would go "bad" in the same way.

I had Monitors, and I like the Sextetts better.  More bass.  Although the Monitor isn't a bad headphone by any stretch of the imagination.  But I also like the current Studio/Mk II more than the Monitor too.  ymmv !! 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #576 of 1,737
aflac, is the rig you're listening through the same as the rig you heard ari's sextetts through? if not it's possible it's a system matching issue.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #577 of 1,737
I am getting ANTSY. Paid 78 for a pair shipped with a ripped headband. Will be driven by a Bottlehead Crack. Going to possibly make new circumaural pads and a new headband from lambskin leather (at least that's the plan right now). CAN'T WAIT TIL THEY GET HERE!

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #579 of 1,737
How are the pads?  Sextetts are very sensitive to the pads and if yours are flat, and especially if they are so flat you are not getting a good seal, it could be the case. 

But muffled mids is not how sextetts should sound.  I can understand someone wanting more treble presence or something, but I can't imagine not loving the mids, thats kind of the whole point.  I can only think of a few headphones that have equal/better mids and they are much much more expensive.

Radiators are also supposed to be pretty fragile, and if one is punctured, or if say someone spilled soda on them 25 years ago and they don't have correct sonic characteristics anymore, that would do it too I imagine.  So it could be more trouble then it's worth unless you know what the problem is or have access to cheap parts.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #580 of 1,737

Quote:
I am getting ANTSY. Paid 78 for a pair shipped with a ripped headband. Will be driven by a Bottlehead Crack. Going to possibly make new circumaural pads and a new headband from lambskin leather (at least that's the plan right now). CAN'T WAIT TIL THEY GET HERE!

Let us know how that goes!  I'd love some leather pads for mine :)  Although I think it would be tricky to keep the sound.  I didn't like Jmoney's leather AKG pads at all. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #581 of 1,737
 I'll add another thought on the pads.  I had quite a few of these at one point.  I thought the pads of all the ones I bought were good, except for one pair.  So I got a set.  Nope, all of the pads on the used Sextetts I got were mooshed to some degree or another.  But w/o the reference to new ones, they seemed fine.  And you can't tell by looking at them, you have to squeeze them in between a thumb and index finger, for example, and compare that way.  Older pads usually squished twice as much as brand new ones.  Big difference in the low end, although I don't recall much of a change in the mids and highs.

But even with old pads, the mids and highs were fine.  Just that with newer pads, the bass improves, tightens up, and becomes firmer and more present.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #582 of 1,737
Interesting. Well my sextett's haven't arrived yet, so I have never really gotten a close look at the pads at all.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #583 of 1,737
Got my first pair of Sextetts today. My first thought was, these are petite! After recently handling the K 601, the Sextetts felt quite tiny. Tiny yet firm.:)

Haven't plugged them in once yet, for all I know they might not even work. The previous owner(s) didn't seem to smoke too much, but there was an air of fragrance about them, and since I'm allergic to perfumes etc., I've just been cleaning them up now. I didn't even bother trying to save the pads, I'll steal the (relatively unused) ones on my K 271 and, if I like the Sextett sound, order new ones.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #584 of 1,737
Alright, as luck would have it, there is a problem. The sound balance is way off, the left driver seems to work fine but the right one only gives a faint sound which is a slight bit crackly as well. I've got all my software balance settings right, I tried jiggling the cord and plugging them into my keyboard – same result.

The seller (a head-fier) said the phones sounded fine, and although I cleaned them on the outside before testing, I handled them carefully during that time. I very much doubt I would have broken them.

Any ideas, or whether this might be a common problem with the Sextetts?

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #585 of 1,737
I've never heard of that happening. Can you open them up and see if one of the wires has come loose from the driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back