AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jan 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #556 of 1,737
I'm looking to replace the (near disintegrated) foams in my pair. I understand this is a different foam to those normally found lining computer hardware boxes (which I have a lot of). Would a hardware store have this type of foam in stock? Or has anyone actually tried the 'common' foam as replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #557 of 1,737

What works is reticulated foam used as aquarium filter, see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reticulated_foam
Quote:
I'm looking to replace the (near disintegrated) foams in my pair. I understand this is a different foam to those normally found lining computer hardware boxes (which I have a lot of). Would a hardware store have this type of foam in stock? Or has anyone actually tried the 'common' foam as replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #559 of 1,737
Mine sounded exactly the same without the foam except they fit better without it.  It is not meant to affect the sound, it is meant to make the headphones feel less cheap because it cushions the impact of the cups when they tilt as far as they can go, so it has a soft stop rather than a plastic against plastic stop. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #560 of 1,737
Jan 6, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #561 of 1,737
Hey guys,

How many of you have recabled your Sextetts? IF so, with which cable? What AWG?

I want to recable mine (for the sake of shorter length and possible sound improvement) and I see there are alot of options. I was looking into...

Kimber TCSS
Jupiter
Cardas 4x24
SPC
Many others...

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #562 of 1,737
Have you recabled headphones before? If not I would suggest a much cheaper canare or mogami wire. You can easily spend as much as the headphones are worth if you look at the cost of some of those manufacturers.

In the same realm, I was going to recable mine, but ran out of time, so I balanced them. WOW really great headphones, especially at the cost they run. Really liking them.

Quote:
Hey guys,

I want to recable mine (for the sake of shorter length and possible sound improvement) and I see there are alot of options. I was looking into...

Kimber TCSS
Jupiter
Cardas 4x24
SPC
Many others...

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #563 of 1,737

Quote:
Have you recabled headphones before? If not I would suggest a much cheaper canare or mogami wire. You can easily spend as much as the headphones are worth if you look at the cost of some of those manufacturers.

In the same realm, I was going to recable mine, but ran out of time, so I balanced them. WOW really great headphones, especially at the cost they run. Really liking them.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Kimber TCSS
Jupiter
Cardas 4x24
SPC
Many others...

Hi el,

Ya I have recable some JVC Flats before. I don't mind spending $50 or so on some nice cables that will last me a while.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #568 of 1,737
60-80 on ebay, but the condition can be excellent to questionable and on head-fi it seems all over the place, from 80-120 or more.  I think 100 on head-fi is a reasonable amount to expect to pay or sell for.  But I would never sell mine for 100 dollars they are worth a lot more than that to me in their sound and the fact that I had to buy a few pairs to find these. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #569 of 1,737

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Fitz could answer this better, but I think you just want the foam to be as open as possible, which you can check by just holding it against your mouth and blowing through it.  If you feel much resistance than it's not a good one to use.  The idea is that the foam doesn't affect the sound.  But you could try putting a more dense foam in, it might do nice things to the sound who knows.  Fostex uses a dense foam as a damping material in their orthos, and while insufficient on it's own, it is often used in combination with added felts.

I imagine a denser foam than stock would bring out more treble and detail and air, tighten up the bass while loosing some bass volume and impact.  I imagine it might push it towards the K501 type sound or DF type signature.  Just a guess though.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #570 of 1,737

Quote:
60-80 on ebay, but the condition can be excellent to questionable and on head-fi it seems all over the place, from 80-120 or more.  I think 100 on head-fi is a reasonable amount to expect to pay or sell for.  But I would never sell mine for 100 dollars they are worth a lot more than that to me in their sound and the fact that I had to buy a few pairs to find these. 

Hmm... okay. Not entirely sure if that'd be worth it to sell off some spares to fund some DIY projects then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back