AKG K 272 HD vs. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm
Mar 29, 2010 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xTyson

New Head-Fier
Hey!

I'm looking for some comfortable closed cans, and have narrowed my choice down to these two:

1. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm (or maby the 32 Ohm?)
2. AKG K 272 HD

I have also considered ATH M50, ATH A700\900 and Sennheiser HD 280 Pro but I have excluded these for now.

I'm mainly going to use them for music listening (Techno, House, Pop, RnB)
I will most of the time run them unamped from my computer. (+some iphone). I know you guys dont prefer this setup, but buying cans will be my first step. I'll buy an amp later down the line...

Which of these two cans would you recommend for me?

thx in advance
M

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Heya,

The K272HD is a known headphone, but simply gets over looked due to popularity of other models, mostly the open air models. The K272HD is still a great headphone though and pretty easy to drive, so it's a great AKG to get if you need isolation. It's basically a nice transparent detail oriented headphone that isn't overly harsh of piercing, but is pretty bass neutral, they're not bassy in other words, but they're not anemic. Good solid mids, the main focus of the headphone. Pretty comfortable, velour pads, no bumps in the headband. Sweet AKG style. Think of them as balanced, good for reference. Not the most musical headphone. But then again, most of AKG's nicer headphones are like that. Great for acoustic, indie, folk, jazz and some forms of classical.

The DT770 Pro is a pretty bright headphone with recessed mids and a whole lot of emphasized bass. It's a bassy headphone. It can be a little too bright at times, it's not sibilance free, but it's great for electronic dance music, dance, trance, dub and techno. Also good for some forms of jazz and rock. Has pretty significant clamping pressure and good isolation, but is still comfortable. They're built like tanks, but don't fold or swivel or anything. They do benefit from amplification so hopefully you have something to juice them up.

They're pretty opposite headphones actually.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back