AKG is coming out with a K1000 replacement! Yes! Really!
Nov 20, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #31 of 104
unless the driver is angled at least in the 30-45 deg range I don't think it makes two farts worth of difference. I can angle mine from 0 to about 20 degrees and it does nothing for imaging. What it does do is give your ears room to not get flattened.

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #32 of 104
Well they've been almost teasing us with their questions about why we like the K1000 on Facebook, and now this is almost a "we're doing it". I'm not sure a headphone of its style is neccessarily suitable for me, but if it's priced well (i.e. lower than the T1 and HD800) I'll probably get it because it's AKG. That being said, it needs to sound half decent and have a natural balance at the same time.

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #33 of 104
It better not become a Q1000! NOS parts newly painted lime green....

But seriously, it really depends on the price point. Now at the $1K mark there is some very serious competition. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #34 of 104
A man with a unicorn avatar is bringing back the K1000 with the power of hugz, i'm drunk enough to believe it
beerchug.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #39 of 104

Certain parts used in construction are no longer made.

The official reason was that the equipment needed for production has worn out.

The subtext was that they weren't selling enough of them to justify keeping them in production.

Mind you, the K-1000 was a modest seller, often heavily discounted, and a very controversial headphone here. It got the same "no bass" moan the HD-800 does. (I think the bass is excellent on both, for the record.) Some chuckleheads around here would plug it into an OTL with an output impedance higher thsn the K-1000 and lousy power output, then crap on the K-1000's sound. Of course it sounds bad if you're an idiot and plug a K-1000 into the wrong thing.

The amping part got sorted out here over the past few years. Almost everyone knows that the K-1000 needs speaker-type power. I have no idea how the misconception kicked off - the K-1000 manual tells you in no uncertain language what it needs.

Anyhow, my point is that the original got trashed regularly while it was in production and didn't sell well enough to update the machinery. The suits are unlikely to do the same thing again.

My fear is that we'll get a warmed-over K-701 driver in an earspeaker style, or maybe in some blingy aluminum cups. I have serious reservations about what AKG is capable of today. Dayglo celebrity vehicles are not impressive. I can almost see thir engineers cringing.

Even worse is how poorly voiced the K-701 is. A lot of people find the mids unnatural - I cannot believe this didn't turn up in testing. They had to have known it was "off" from at least a few people before starting production. I wonder if AKG will make another mistake like this. Also interesting is whether another viral campaign will follow - the K-701 seems to turn up with celebs more than it ought to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back