AKG is coming out with a K1000 replacement! Yes! Really!
Nov 20, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #16 of 104
I'd be curious to see if my Little Dot I+ would power these decently. My money is on "no"...

These are fairly low impedance aren't they? I know the Little Dot I+ was built for low impedance, but the K1000's could very well be too much for the amp.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #17 of 104
Yeah, scratch me down as having bet a wooden nickel that we don't see another hinged extra-aural design from AKG any time soon.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #19 of 104
Interested to see if AKG is finally getting their act together or if it will end up being a pitiful underdesigned ploy. I'm hoping for the former though it will probably be a good while before we find out. Subscribed....

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #20 of 104

Quote:
Hopefully it will be an ortho and not just another over priced dynamic headphone.

Has AKG ever done an ortho?  I know they did stats hybrids w/ the 340.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #24 of 104

How much were the K1Ks before they were discontinued? Do you need a nuclear power plant to drive them?

The K-1000 sold for as low as $380 at one time. When they were discontinued, there was a spike of interest and prices went up to MSRP, $1,000.

I managed to snag the last pair HeadRoom had for $1,000. I could have saved a few hundred if I had gotten around to it earlier, but I'm still glad to be the original owner of this pair. I kept all the original packaging, too.

Driving the K-1000 is not that difficult. The owner's manual says that you should use a speaker amp with 8W of power of better. If you follow that, they work great. Personally, I like to run them off the speaker taps on the Moth Si2A3. It only puts out 3W, but that's enough for me. The 2A3s really make the K-1000 sing.

Hopefully, the new version will be earspeakers of similar or better quality. If AKG doesn't mess up the tonal balance (the K-701/2 is horrible, but the K-601 is alright), then I might pick up the new one.

Since it's too late to drop a new model for the 2010 holidays, my guess is that we'll get this for 2011 CES.

I'll look forward to this.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #25 of 104
It will be wait and see again, one of these threads pops up every 6 months or so. Imo, AKG doesn't even have the ability anymore to make something that approaches the K1000, let alone better it.

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #27 of 104

Quote:
The K-1000 sold for as low as $380 at one time. When they were discontinued, there was a spike of interest and prices went up to MSRP, $1,000.I managed to snag the last pair HeadRoom had for $1,000. I could have saved a few hundred if I had gotten around to it earlier, but I'm still glad to be the original owner of this pair. I kept all the original packaging, too.Driving the K-1000 is not that difficult. The owner's manual says that you should use a speaker amp with 8W of power of better. If you follow that, they work great. Personally, I like to run them off the speaker taps on the Moth Si2A3. It only puts out 3W, but that's enough for me. The 2A3s really make the K-1000 sing.Hopefully, the new version will be earspeakers of similar or better quality. If AKG doesn't mess up the tonal balance (the K-701/2 is horrible, but the K-601 is alright), then I might pick up the new one.Since it's too late to drop a new model for the 2010 holidays, my guess is that we'll get this for 2011 CES.I'll look forward to this.

Welp, there goes my chance. And I thought 800mw@32 ohm was impressive for an amp. lol.

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #30 of 104

Quote:
Yeah, scratch me down as having bet a wooden nickel that we don't see another hinged extra-aural design from AKG any time soon.

I doubt they would make one like the K1000.  It would probably be something more along the lines of an HD800.  Hopefully the AKG will also have angled drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back