Airpods pro
Feb 9, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #436 of 527
If I wanted tampons in my ear then I could get them much cheaper at the store.

Jokes aside, how do these rank against ~$100 wired chi-fi IEM's in you guys eyes? I'm curious to try these just to confirm my suspicions.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #437 of 527
The issue I have with TWS is the mic, and that is a big downside since something like APP I'd be using it for on the go. The mics on TWS are not effective due to it's palcement blocked from the face and being near the ear, but our voices project forward on the front of the face.

This is the reason why, I find ANC iems with a wired mic near the mouth to be most practical. If they can do BeatsX with ANC, that would work well for me. Until then, Bose QC20 with inline mic is the best practical option for ANC on the go.

I'm still having issues with ANC kicking in at times due to the placement of the sensor. It's really annoying.
I rarely use the mic, but this would be a problem; thank you for bring up this issue. My use may be not generally shared, but for people with my needs the airpod pro is an improvement to note.

Jokes aside, how do these rank against ~$100 chi-fi IEM's in you guys eyes? I'm curious to try these just to confirm my suspicions.
I have the fiio fa7, fh5, and fa1 and the ipod pro as well as the powerbeats pro are for me to similar to note a reasonable difference.

It would seem over the ear phones are your main choice; I never would have compared iem's to tampons. :)

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #438 of 527
I have the fiio fa7, fh5, and fa1 and the ipod pro as well as the powerbeats pro are for me to similar to note a reasonable difference.

It would seem over the earphones are your main choice; I never would have compared iem's to tampons. :)
It's the white part, "IS IT BECAUSE I AM WHITE?".
Thanks for your opinion on the sound though. :)

@sidecross so how would you rank the bass specifically compared to the FH5, since I've heard that one. Assuming you're using a decent source for the FH5 and not wireless like ES100 or BTR5.

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #439 of 527
@sidecross so how would you rank the bass specifically compared to the FH5, since I've heard that one. Assuming you're using a decent source for the FH5 and not wireless like ES100 or BTR5.
I have found the bass on both ipod pro and powerbeats pro very good and equal to the fh5; the fh5 however has an advantage when using the fiio q5.

An added edit: while the microphone has been noted to be a problem by some, the transparency mode for my use is outstanding. I can leave the ipod pro in my ears at all times even when not listening to a player.

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #444 of 527

Jokes aside, how do these rank against ~$100 wired chi-fi IEM's in you guys eyes? I'm curious to try these just to confirm my suspicions.
I would recommend these if looking for good tonality, but less technicalities than a wired that are comparable in price. If convenience, the size of the iem, and easy portability, and given it's big price, the ANC matter a lot to you (if you are in noisy areas most of the day on the go including flights, trains, etc..). It's priced the way it is due to the technology with ANC. There's nothing in it's class that can really compete besides the Sony XM3, but it's bulky and mic isn't as good, although I think both mics are crappy compared to wired.

Other alternative iem with ANC is a wired one from Bose QC20 that I've mentioned earlier. Which is also pricey even if it's been out for a long time now, and it's due to ANC technology I take it.

You have to try ANC to find out how useful it is. People just shrug it off thinking their iem can isolate the noise just as well. No.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #445 of 527
I would recommend these if looking for good tonality, but less technicalities than a wired that are comparable in price. If convenience, the size of the iem, and easy portability, and given it's big price, the ANC matter a lot to you (if you are in noisy areas most of the day on the go including flights, trains, etc..). It's priced the way it is due to the technology with ANC. There's nothing in it's class that can really compete besides the Sony XM3, but it's bulky and mic isn't as good, although I think both mics are crappy compared to wired.

Other alternative iem with ANC is a wired one from Bose QC20 that I've mentioned earlier. Which is also pricey even if it's been out for a long time now, and it's due to ANC technology I take it.

You have to try ANC to find out how useful it is. People just shrug it off thinking their iem can isolate the noise just as well. No.
Thank you for your thoughtful insight.

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #446 of 527

I have bose qc 35 ll and the airpod pro anc is as good, mainly because of the very good seal of my internal and external ear geometry. This fit will vary on each persons own ear and fit.

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #447 of 527
I was listening for about two hours with ANC and Transparency off and saw this huge difference in remaining battery life.
B31FF6F6-1195-4BD6-A88A-E0E5E061DA3B.jpeg

Feb 10, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #448 of 527
I was listening for about two hours with ANC and Transparency off and saw this huge difference in remaining battery life.
'Houston we have a problem'

I once had a similar problem and recharged and this problem went away and has not reappeared. You might also try to reinstall the airpods pro again on your ios system.

Apple has been helpful to me with problems and I hope they will help you if this reoccurs.

Tea and Sympathy :frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #449 of 527
Apple has no replaced my airpods pro twice now because of the ear tip fit test failing. That inside grille just gets clogged up within a week every single time. I guess I have oily ears because I have started paying particularly close attention to never touch the microphone grilles. Oh well, I guess they'll just keep swapping them out for me 1x/month until applecare+ runs out.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #450 of 527
I now understand what other people are saying about these. These don't feel intrusive like typical inears, and if I wear only one piece without ANC on (with no air pressure), I forget I had it on. It doesn't feel like it's there.

I still don't like ANC not kicking in at times. I may have to try a replacement pair to see if it fixes the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back