Airpods pro
Jan 21, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #406 of 527
I think you are on your own on this one... APP needs to be EQ to sound correct - better EQ than brain burnin.

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #408 of 527
They sound remarkably neutral to me and have a wider (left to right) soundstage than my HD600s.
You need better dac and amp for your 600. They are not even close.

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #409 of 527
I think you are on your own on this one... APP needs to be EQ to sound correct - better EQ than brain burnin.
I personally don't have issues with it's tonality to need EQ. However, I wish I can fine tune the EQ to my desired response that I can visually see for the the adaptive EQ to target that response.

Being able to control the adaptive EQ would be cool, but it doesn't seem like adaptive EQ is highly precise. I can see from the response graphs that there is an EQ adaptive EQ is targetting.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #411 of 527
I always have EQ turned on (treble booster) with mine, but I think Apple's default signature should work well for many owners. I still can't get over how impressive the tech is in the APP. The ambient mode is one of the most natural I've heard, apart from my own voice of course. I suppose it's impossible to completely avoid the occlusion effect with in-ears, but the Pro does a decent job addressing it.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #412 of 527
The new firmware update is compelling to me. I felt during a store demo that the ANC sensation was a little more noticeable than I’d prefer (or expect), so I wouldn’t mind a weaker ANC implementation. The improvements in frequency response consistency and bass response also seem like they bring the product closer to where it was intended to be. Ironically, Powerbeats Pro doesn’t have the most stable fit for me and I could hear it moving around during a phone call yesterday which may end up being a dealbreaker. Sound quality was better than expected though. They’re really trying to offer a balanced sound with a tight, deep bass. The bass response was a bit muted on the AirPods Pro for me, but I wasn’t able to get a perfect seal so I may enjoy it more if I demo it at home. Store demos of IEM’s are perfectly good for getting an idea of the feel and sound quality, but it seems like it’s intended more so for consumers to test out of the features since I usually like most headphones more once I get a chance to test them at home.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #413 of 527
I always have EQ turned on (treble booster) with mine, but I think Apple's default signature should work well for many owners. I still can't get over how impressive the tech is in the APP. The ambient mode is one of the most natural I've heard, apart from my own voice of course. I suppose it's impossible to completely avoid the occlusion effect with in-ears, but the Pro does a decent job addressing it.

Keep in mind AirPods Pro already has a bright sound that emphasizes mid and high frequencies. I’m sure Treble Booster does boost the clarity since it sounded good with the AirPods as well, but the sound will be the most balanced at the default setting.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #414 of 527
The new firmware update is compelling to me. I felt during a store demo that the ANC sensation was a little more noticeable than I’d prefer (or expect), so I wouldn’t mind a weaker ANC implementation. The improvements in frequency response consistency and bass response also seem like they bring the product closer to where it was intended to be. Ironically, Powerbeats Pro doesn’t have the most stable fit for me and I could hear it moving around during a phone call yesterday which may end up being a dealbreaker. Sound quality was better than expected though. They’re really trying to offer a balanced sound with a tight, deep bass. The bass response was a bit muted on the AirPods Pro for me, but I wasn’t able to get a perfect seal so I may enjoy it more if I demo it at home. Store demos of IEM’s are perfectly good for getting an idea of the feel and sound quality, but it seems like it’s intended more so for consumers to test out of the features since I usually like most headphones more once I get a chance to test them at home.

Most of us who had the initial release firmware with the very first delivered units know the update- which we didn't ask for or have a choice as to downloading- was a serious step backward. Now, all we have is a mediocre sounding device that, despite having excellent utility and ergonomics, no longer does a good or even adequate job of what we bought it for in the first place- ANC.

This wasn't a "compelling" update, it was a mistake, which is why Apple has pulled it. They effectively bricked the most important feature of the thing, and I'm certainly not the only person unhappy about that.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #415 of 527
Most of us who had the initial release firmware with the very first delivered units know the update- which we didn't ask for or have a choice as to downloading- was a serious step backward. Now, all we have is a mediocre sounding device that, despite having excellent utility and ergonomics, no longer does a good or even adequate job of what we bought it for in the first place- ANC.

This wasn't a "compelling" update, it was a mistake, which is why Apple has pulled it. They effectively bricked the most important feature of the thing, and I'm certainly not the only person unhappy about that.
Yeah, that's what I hate about Apple. They want to control your experience like it or not. The brand image don't draw me either. Feels kinda duchy.

I think I have an idea why there are contrasting opinions on ANC performance. If the fit isn't right, it doesn't kick on. I assume for some people it probably didn't kick in fully. Because ANC works really well.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #416 of 527
It did work well with the initial firmware. Not anymore. This is in stark contrast to Sony, which has been steadily delivering firmware updates which have constantly added improvements and new functionality to the W1000XM3 such as greatly improved phone microphone and on-unit volume control, in the past few weeks.

Jan 26, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #417 of 527
It did work well with the initial firmware. Not anymore. This is in stark contrast to Sony, which has been steadily delivering firmware updates which have constantly added improvements and new functionality to the W1000XM3 such as greatly improved phone microphone and on-unit volume control, in the past few weeks.

This is just speculation, but I do wonder if Apple is concerned about liability and safety issues that might arise if the ANC is "too good." It would be major news headlines if somebody got hit by a car or robbed while wearing APP with the NC on. Of course, it's the wearer's fault, but with the way journalism works, it would be very bad press for Apple.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #419 of 527
Sony and Bose have plenty of lawyers as well as much more effective ANC. No, this is a screwup by Apple.

https://www.macworld.com/article/35...ve-noise-cancellation-in-the-airpods-pro.html
I suspect they made firmware change and realized they affected ANC and pulled it. The newer fw has reported improved sound quality by some but ANC is worse( not much for me). I would guess they are working on an improved to address ANC. Patience. A month is short term. I would rather they push a fixed version than rush and have to pushing new ones to fixes other issues. My 2 cents

Jan 27, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #420 of 527
I suspect they made firmware change and realized they affected ANC and pulled it. The newer fw has reported improved sound quality by some but ANC is worse( not much for me). I would guess they are working on an improved to address ANC. Patience. A month is short term. I would rather they push a fixed version than rush and have to pushing new ones to fixes other issues. My 2 cents
Agree that Apple affected ANC and really should fix it, though willing to cut Apple some slack given the issue is over the holiday period.

ANC was "affected" is a better way of putting it than "worse." If we are to believe rtings measurements (see: https://www.rtings.com/images/revie...irpods-pro-anc-comparison-corrected-large.jpg) I note that whilst in ANC the mid-bass around 50-80 Hz is significantly worse, the mid range particularly 750-1000Hz has improved, as you can see by the averages. This means that the C54 change will be particularly noticeable for low droning sounds but better against some low voice sounds (simplistically).

Having said that though the C54 is worse, particularly for my application which is flying, the APPs are still just about good enough and way more convenient/comfortable than my Bose 700s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back