Airpods pro
Jan 29, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #425 of 527
Admittedly, I only briefly used the AirPods Pro, as I found the tips uncomfortable. I do love my AirPods 2 though.

So as I understand it, you can have ANC on, transparency mode on, or have everything off. Perhaps one of the modes didn't suit you? Since you said it wasn't like this prior to an update, I'd try unpairing the Pros, turn off Bluetooth, then completely shutdown the phone. Then I'd restart, turn on Bluetooth, and re-pair to see if that might fix it.

After that, I'm not sure where to look, but it could be something that might go away if they were paired during your upgrade. It's worth a shot, and I hope it works for you.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #427 of 527
I actually had to turn ANC off. It was creating a painful, low frequency reverb thrum. Worse than ineffective, it was literally pain inducing. Had nothing like this before the update.

I experienced it too. But that was even before the update. I noticed that in some buses (where there are lose mechanisms like vibrating windows at low but very fast vibration that is not noticeable by the human ear) it becomes to much for the anc to handle at it provides a rumbling low noise instead and is ear hurting. I experienced this not only with airpods pro in their original firmware but also with my bose qc 35. Try travelling again with another bus, maybe that will be a different experience.

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #428 of 527
Yes, that’s exactly what it was, one of the brand-new Toei line all-flat busses made by Scania. In this case the engine rumble combined with the APP created a sort of out of phase feedback loop that was literally painful. However, my Sony WF1000-XM3 don’t behave like that. Even my Shure 846’s with Spinfit CP800 tips do a much better job, passively. And I certainly didn’t have this problem with the APP’s when I first got them.

I'm sorry to say this experience has relegated my APP's to convenience use only.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #429 of 527
Yes, that’s exactly what it was, one of the brand-new Toei line all-flat busses made by Scania. In this case the engine rumble combined with the APP created a sort of out of phase feedback loop that was literally painful. However, my Sony WF1000-XM3 don’t behave like that. Even my Shure 846’s with Spinfit CP800 tips do a much better job, passively. And I certainly didn’t have this problem with the APP’s when I first got them.

I'm sorry to say this experience has relegated my APP's to convenience use only.

I don’t have such experience, so most probably yours are defective. I recommend you to go to an Apple store and change them. The ANC on mine is quite effective on airplane as well as while commuting. Not perfect by any means but it gets the job done!

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #431 of 527
Yeah. Already been there, done that. Let's face facts here, after the firmware update, these are a second-rate item as far as ANC goes, with relatively mediocre SQ. Super convenient to use with iPhone though.

If it was due to the firmware update it would be for everybody. But as you know it’s not the case. There are many people here and elsewhere, including myself, who think the ANC is perfectly adequate. As well as their SQ...I suggest you to ask for a refund and use the Sony instead...

Jan 31, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #432 of 527
If it was due to the firmware update it would be for everybody. But as you know it’s not the case. There are many people here and elsewhere, including myself, who think the ANC is perfectly adequate. As well as their SQ...I suggest you to ask for a refund and use the Sony instead...

I actually sold my Sony's for these due to the improvements in all three: convenience, SQ and NC.

Feb 5, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #433 of 527
Here's an ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274150236720. These are pretty pricey, but are supposedly made in the USA, unlike other Chinese knockoffs available on ebay. They're available in white or black. I ordered a set in white, should get them Friday.

There's a video that shows how to attach them, with some more details in the comments on the YouTube page.

Any update on how you like it? I just got my Chinese buds and am trying them now. I've dropped my left one 3 times so far when taking off a jacket (it's pretty loose), and I really need a workable solution before I lose it for good.

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #434 of 527
I have had the airpod pro for a month and I am very pleased with them.

I am partially disabled with limited sight and limited mobility and spend hours and hours using my ears to navigate, and have found the airpod pro so good that a second pair has been ordered and are arriving today.The draw back is the limited hours of use and is the reason for wanting a second pair.

The active noise canceling is excellent and these earphone can be used for over 90% of my use including music. The exception is the hour when I want to listen to music through my fiio q5 and sony mdr 1am2 with balanced cable.

Previously I have been using fiio fa7, fh5, or fa1 via BT fiio btr1k and btr3 with 45cm shorten cable; the airpod pro is a better solution now for me.

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #435 of 527
I have had the airpod pro for a month and I am very pleased with them.

I am partially disabled with limited sight and limited mobility and spend hours and hours using my ears to navigate, and have found the airpod pro so good that a second pair has been ordered and are arriving today.The draw back is the limited hours of use and is the reason for wanting a second pair.

The active noise canceling is excellent and these earphone can be used for over 90% of my use including music. The exception is the hour when I want to listen to music through my fiio q5 and sony mdr 1am2 with balanced cable.

Previously I have been using fiio fa7, fh5, or fa1 via BT fiio btr1k and btr3 with 45cm shorten cable; the airpod pro is a better solution now for me.
The issue I have with TWS is the mic, and that is a big downside since something like APP I'd be using it for on the go. The mics on TWS are not effective due to it's palcement blocked from the face and being near the ear, but our voices project forward on the front of the face.

This is the reason why, I find ANC iems with a wired mic near the mouth to be most practical. If they can do BeatsX with ANC, that would work well for me. Until then, Bose QC20 with inline mic is the best practical option for ANC on the go (to only carry one small device and care about mic performance).

I'm still having issues with ANC kicking in at times due to the placement of the sensor. It's really annoying. ANC is the mainly the feature I use the APP with. If there wasn't much noise on the go, I wouldn't use it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back