Airpods pro
Feb 19, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #451 of 527
I now understand what other people are saying about these. These don't feel intrusive like typical inears, and if I wear only one piece without ANC on (with no air pressure), I forget I had it on. It doesn't feel like it's there.

I still don't like ANC not kicking in at times. I may have to try a replacement pair to see if it fixes the issue.
Try removing from device and then reinstalling in the device again; this solved a problem for me.

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #453 of 527
Apple has no replaced my airpods pro twice now because of the ear tip fit test failing. That inside grille just gets clogged up within a week every single time. I guess I have oily ears because I have started paying particularly close attention to never touch the microphone grilles. Oh well, I guess they'll just keep swapping them out for me 1x/month until applecare+ runs out.

I have read on the Mac Rumors forum about people using Blu Tack to clean the grilles and the test passing again afterwards. Though some people complain that little bits get stuck in the grilles when they've tried this.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e.2208392/page-26?post=28225241#post-28225241

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #454 of 527

So, I love everything about these badboys but fit. The original AirPods stayed snug all day long. These last much longer on a charge, and isolate really well, and the NC is amazing, and the BT connection is even better than Ezra, but the fit isn't great. I have to constantly adjust them no matter the pad.

The sound is, as all of you know, not the equal of the WF1000XM3, but it is decent. I honestly prefer the original AirPods to these for just sound.

What is totally dominant about these guys is what I hope to have illustrated in the video linked above: that they have amazing bluetooth connection. I can get over 60m line of site, and up to 100 if I accept a certain amount of connection drops. They are totally reliable out to 45m. I have an AirPods pro bluetooth 4 vs 5 video coming soon. I hope that helps anyone looking specifically at that issue.

May 31, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #457 of 527
What are the chances I could wear Airpod Pros with something the 3M Peltor X5A or X3A for mowing?

I am trying to upgrade from the stock Apple Earpods, which I have to list to at full volume to even hear over the mower.

May 31, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #458 of 527
What are the chances I could wear Airpod Pros with something the 3M Peltor X5A or X3A for mowing?

I am trying to upgrade from the stock Apple Earpods, which I have to list to at full volume to even hear over the mower.
The active noise cancellation for my use is essential, but not much will make audio work with a powered mower. :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #459 of 527

Unless the APP stick out of your ears a lot, I would say that would work.

May 31, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #460 of 527
Unless the APP stick out of your ears a lot, I would say that would work.

I've done something similar, wearing my Airpod Pros under the Sony WH1000XM3 headphones with active noise cancellation enabled on both. This worked really well on the BART train system in the Bay Area, blocking out nearly all of the noise except when going through the tunnel under the Bay (that section measures more than 85 DB on my iPhone app). There's a bit of wonkiness when the external noise changes suddenly, like when passing another train at speed, but overall it's much better than either the Airpod Pros or the WH1000XM3 alone.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #461 of 527
I've done something similar, wearing my Airpod Pros under the Sony WH1000XM3 headphones with active noise cancellation enabled on both. This worked really well on the BART train system in the Bay Area, blocking out nearly all of the noise except when going through the tunnel under the Bay (that section measures more than 85 DB on my iPhone app). There's a bit of wonkiness when the external noise changes suddenly, like when passing another train at speed, but overall it's much better than either the Airpod Pros or the WH1000XM3 alone.
Yes that would work well, I missed understood the original question and was not aware of the reference you made clearer for me. :)

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #462 of 527

I would get a Shure IEM with a wireless MMCX receiver like the RMCE-BT2 or the RMCE-TW1 when it's relaunched. I can hear no outside noise at all when music is playing. The passive isolation is far better than any active noise isolation earphones / headphones. Putting them on is the biggest pain point.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #464 of 527
I would get a Shure IEM with a wireless MMCX receiver like the RMCE-BT2 or the RMCE-TW1 when it's relaunched. I can hear no outside noise at all when music is playing. The passive isolation is far better than any active noise isolation earphones / headphones. Putting them on is the biggest pain point.
Untrue, ANC is superior. You just haven't used in conditions that ANC shine. Most situations you really do not need high isolation, but in the situations that do, ANC is king.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #465 of 527
Untrue, ANC is superior. You just haven't used in conditions that ANC shine. Most situations you really do not need high isolation, but in the situations that do, ANC is king.
I have both the AirPods Pro and various IEMs. There is no contest - foam tips are far more isolating, especially for higher frequency sounds like voices. If you don't make an effort to get a proper seal, ANC may be better.

As for the AirPods Pro specifically, I find the sub-bass lacking so regardless of any other advantages I don't use them as much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back