Airpods pro
Jun 4, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #466 of 527
I have both and there is no contest. Foam tips are vastly more isolating, especially for higher frequency sounds like voices.
But, it will not drown out noises that seeps into it in the mids and lows. Try it in aircrafts and see if you can isolate it with those tips. ANC serves are purpose. Ety triple flanges isolate well in the upper frequencies, but will fail in the lows where vehicle/aircraft noise are most significant.

You will find night and day difference with ANC in aircraft cabins. Which is the general point. You just lack any understanding of all this.

Look at all the isolation measurements on innerfidelity.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #467 of 527
But, it will not drown out noises that seeps into it in the mids and lows. Try it in aircrafts and see if you can isolate it with those tips. ANC serves are purpose. Ety triple flanges isolate well in the upper frequencies, but will fail in the lows where vehicle/aircraft noise are most significant.

You will find night and day difference with ANC in aircraft cabins. Which is the general point. You just lack any understanding of all this.

Look at all the isolation measurements on innerfidelity.
I prefer the low frequency isolation of Shure tips especially on aircrafts - they are superior to both my Bose over-ears and the AirPods Pro. However if I'm just wearing them without music, the ANC headphones are quieter. With music playing, the foam tips provide the best isolation and sub-bass impact at the same time.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #469 of 527
Your opinion, but opinions are not truth. Maybe one day you'd find out the truth.
I don't think the isolation measurements for IEMs on the ear simulator match up to the fit on different people. For example RTings' isolation measurements for different Shure models like the SE215 and SE425 are vastly different with one showing zero isolation in the low frequencies, though they are both essentially the same shape and fit. There's a significant difference between even my left and right ears.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #470 of 527
I have both the AirPods Pro and various IEMs. There is no contest - foam tips are far more isolating, especially for higher frequency sounds like voices. If you don't make an effort to get a proper seal, ANC may be better.

As for the AirPods Pro specifically, I find the sub-bass lacking so regardless of any other advantages I don't use them as much.
airpod pro are small and convenient and have sound qualities that are quite good, but there is a limit on what they are capable to do. I use mine in low ambient noise environments and I am satisfied.

There is a limit to my attention span and do not feel either comfortable or aware to mask over high ambient noise that may be needed to acknowledge awareness of my environment.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #471 of 527
I don’t use my AirPods to do any kind of critical listening. I have a full desktop setup for that kind of listening.
The AirPods are perfect for mowing the yard and working on dinner and being in the room while my wife is on a call (she can be loud lol) The sound quality is good enough for music and post casts while other stuff is going on or I am on the move.

Right tool for the job.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #472 of 527
I don’t use my AirPods to do any kind of critical listening. I have a full desktop setup for that kind of listening.
The AirPods are perfect for mowing the yard and working on dinner and being in the room while my wife is on a call (she can be loud lol) The sound quality is good enough for music and post casts while other stuff is going on or I am on the move.

Right tool for the job.
Absolutely, I use Bluetooth for convenience and mobility, but for serious music listening, which for me is about an hour plus, wired headphones with dac and amp are my choice.

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #473 of 527
Same here. I'd be perfectly fine with APP for travel purposes for when out and about, and I turned to my home full-sized rig for serious listening. Even if I had TOTL iems, they wouldn't be in use at home. Maybe at work, but those TOTL prices are not worth the performance on iems. A bit inflated, and considering all the tunings of them being hit or miss, why would I be inclined to drop so much on them?

TOTL iems are inflated priced flavors of the months.

APP tonality isn't crappy, and it's ANC performance is very good, so it's practical for regular usage for travel and being out and about.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #476 of 527
This firmware 2D15 came out 5/5/20

There are ways to install the firmware if it was not already automatically installed.
You are right, his review came out a month later than the firmware release date. APP installation is different. An Apple device APP is connected to will randomly install the firmware. You can't manually install which I dislike.

The firmware supposedly has modified tuning with more 3k presence that stands out. It seems Apple has a target curve like Harman or perhaps they are trying to tune to Harman.

0dB mentions ticking issues the drivers exhibit. Apple really need to finetune the APP. Their sensor placement was a bad choice due to ANC or sound not activating in certain cases.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #477 of 527
You are right, his review came out a month later than the firmware release date. APP installation is different. An Apple device APP is connected to will randomly install the firmware. You can't manually install which I dislike.

The firmware supposedly has modified tuning with more 3k presence that stands out. It seems Apple has a target curve like Harman or perhaps they are trying to tune to Harman.

0dB mentions ticking issues the drivers exhibit. Apple really need to finetune the APP. Their sensor placement was a bad choice due to ANC or sound not activating in certain cases.
There is a way to manually install firmware; I have used this method but it only confirmed new firmware was already self-installed.

Jun 27, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #478 of 527
New updates on APP. I had no idea there were acceleromters inside APP! They packed so much stuff in that small space. So, Apple will be putting out surround sound based on head movement I believe. Sounds to me like how Mobius works which seemed more of a gimmick. We will see how well Apple's version does, could be interesting for movies on the go, in flights with ANC. To be honest, this accelerometer based surround is most practical with VR. I heard Apple was working on VR.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidp...-until-you-hear-what-they-didnt-announce/amp/

Lately I've had some issues with left earpiece not charged at time when looking to use it even if the earpieces were in the case for a long time. Got a relacement charger case and hope that fixes the issue. I hope this was the issue with ANC not activating that I thought was the sensor. I'm starting to think it was the left earpiece not charged up enough and the left sensor wasn't functioning due to this.

After this, if I'm still having issues, I won't be happy with this product that 'seamless Apple' put out.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #479 of 527
New updates on APP. I had no idea there were acceleromters inside APP! They packed so much stuff in that small space. So, Apple will be putting out surround sound based on head movement I believe. Sounds to me like how Mobius works which seemed more of a gimmick. We will see how well Apple's version does, could be interesting for movies on the go, in flights with ANC. To be honest, this accelerometer based surround is most practical with VR. I heard Apple was working on VR.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidp...-until-you-hear-what-they-didnt-announce/amp/

Lately I've had some issues with left earpiece not charged at time when looking to use it even if the earpieces were in the case for a long time. Got a relacement charger case and hope that fixes the issue. I hope this was the issue with ANC not activating that I thought was the sensor. I'm starting to think it was the left earpiece not charged up enough and the left sensor wasn't functioning due to this.

After this, if I'm still having issues, I won't be happy with this product that 'seamless Apple' put out.
The few problems I had were resolved by going to settings and removing airpods pro completely and then reinstall; if that does not work reset airpods pro by pressing button at back of case to reset and reinstall.

You might want to clean contacts at bottom of case as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back