Airpods pro
Dec 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #496 of 527
+1 to this! I also have moderate hearing loss in my right ear only (due to sudden onset deafness) but have found the difference afforded by hearing accommodations with an audiogram to be absolutely awesome. It really is a night and day improvement. Makes me eager to get a pair of AirPods Max to see how that benefit extends to over ears.

What kind of sucks with this feature is that you can't have separate profiles for the AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max. It would be nice if that could be set up :/

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #497 of 527
I’d hope that the same audiogram, interpreted by the H1 chip on each headphone, could adjust things appropriately given the driver/fit differences. In that APP and APM wouldn’t sound the same, but they’d make the same appropriate adjustments.

But I see what you mean in that it could be nice to customize based on preference. I do like how automatic it is so far, so it’s not tied to player or anything.

Dec 27, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #498 of 527
+1 to this! I also have moderate hearing loss in my right ear only (due to sudden onset deafness) but have found the difference afforded by hearing accommodations with an audiogram to be absolutely awesome. It really is a night and day improvement. Makes me eager to get a pair of AirPods Max to see how that benefit extends to over ears.
It really is. I find I don’t have to have the volume up as high with the custom profile and ANC on (35% vs 50+% without). It’s much less fatiguing over long periods and better for my hearing health in the long run.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #499 of 527
iPhone users – has anyone tried playing around with the Headphone Accommodations feature in Accessibility settings (think it's only available in iOS14)? I was fiddling around with it and found out I can customize the sound profile of the APP based on an audiogram generated by a hearing test app (try Mimi or SonicCloud).

As someone with moderate hearing loss (49/52 dBHL), being able to use the APP with a custom sound profile based on my hearing test results has been nothing short of revelatory. In Transparency mode it's akin to wearing a hearing aid, although it's not as good as a medical grade device in terms of detail retrieval (I own a pair). It's like having a supercharged hearing aid I can use to make calls and listen to music with.

Thought I'd bring it up here as you can also apply the custom profile to media and phone audio. Music sounds so much better with a custom profile (night and day in my case) and sounds muffled with Headphone Accommodations turned off. There's also a bunch of other tuning options to choose from (Balanced Tone, Vocal Range, Brightness) but I stuck with Audiogram as I found this to be the best sounding option.

I just did the hearing test in Mimi with the APP and it tells me I have no hearing loss at all. I'm very skeptical. I'm 52.

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #500 of 527
I just did the hearing test in Mimi with the APP and it tells me I have no hearing loss at all. I'm very skeptical. I'm 52.
I'm not a medical professional/hearing expert but to my understanding these apps aren't meant to supersede professional audiograms. I do think it can indicate whether or not you may need to see an audiologist for a proper hearing test.

That being said, I took several tests with the Mimi and got better results the more I did them, and found them more or less the same as an audiogram previously taken by a professional audiologist.

Personally, I prefer SonicCloud over Mimi as it offers more control in terms of sound playback (I feel it minimizes the risk of hearing 'phantom sounds' that may skew the results).

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #503 of 527
I have tried the original airpods and they are totally rubbish compared to my £40 cheap buds and my new Cambridge Audio buds

The original airpods are just wireless versions of the earpods that used to come with your iPhone. So naturally you would expect something you paid that much for, at least wired, to be better.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #505 of 527

Mimi is calibrated for AP, result with APP could be anything.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #506 of 527
The original airpods are just wireless versions of the earpods that used to come with your iPhone. So naturally you would expect something you paid that much for, at least wired, to be better.

The OG AirPods sound distinctly different than the EarPods. To be honest, the EarPods sound more linear than the OG AirPods.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #507 of 527
The OG AirPods sound distinctly different than the EarPods. To be honest, the EarPods sound more linear than the OG AirPods.

They're the same drivers, but yes the electronics (amp/DAC/dsp) could have them sound somewhat different.

Back when I had the originals and compared them against a pair of earpods I had at the time they sounded pretty dang close to me.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #508 of 527
The airpods are like £150 and sound rubbish though?

I'm having trouble understanding why this is confusing. The original airpods are essentially wireless versions of the earpods.

As to you thinking they sound rubbish, that's like, your opinion man. The earpods when they came out were lauded for sounding pretty great at the time, esp. for something packaged for free.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #509 of 527
They're the same drivers, but yes the electronics (amp/DAC/dsp) could have them sound somewhat different.

Back when I had the originals and compared them against a pair of earpods I had at the time they sounded pretty dang close to me.

They definitely didn’t sound even close to my ears :shrug:

Edit: to be honest, I wouldn’t call the EarPods good sounding. Sure they were fine for a free packaged product... But still. Nothing to run home about. OG AirPods were the same way. They were just extremely convenient and effortless to use.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #510 of 527
I'm having trouble understanding why this is confusing. The original airpods are essentially wireless versions of the earpods.

As to you thinking they sound rubbish, that's like, your opinion man. The earpods when they came out were lauded for sounding pretty great at the time, esp. for something packaged for free.

I have both EarPods & AirPods still and they sounding very, very similar. Yes, in my opinion the AirPods are the same (or almost identical) version of EarPods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back