AIAIAI TMA-1
May 1, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #1,021 of 1,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been listening to the TMA-1 for a few days now, and I agree: if you listen to some acoustic music and start playing around with EQ, it becomes apparent that the treble-boosting slope described in the past few pages makes them sound more normal. Without it, they're nice phones but very specialized for DJing - with it, they're all-round nice phones.

So apologies if this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but how do we think they achieve this severe treble roll-off? It's passive, surely - but is it built in to the drivers, or is it some kind of mod? And if it's a mod, is it mechanical or electrical? For the sake of manufacturing consistency, I would assume electrical... a passive low-pass filter or something?

I haven't opened up the phones to find out, as they're not actually mine
beyersmile.png
but it would be nice to be able to disable it 
evil_smiley.gif
The physical design and build of the phones is too nice to limit them to DJ use!

Had a go at dismantling them, got the right can open and took a pic. couldn't do the same on the left as the input jack was giving us a bit of Grief and it felt like i was gonna damage something, but from what i could see it seemed to be wired the same as any single input headphone. As you can probably see in the photo that they haven't used much dampening, only really one small ring around the driver and Most of the chamber is taken up by the headband mechanism. I threw in some felt from an old pair of headphone just behind the drivers and the back of the cup to see if it made any difference and I'm liking the change probably keep them in.

May 3, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #1,022 of 1,345
Aiaiai have released a new version of the TMA-1, probably in preparation for the full sized version that will be coming out. 

The only real notable differences is that the cable is now lockable and a right angled cord. I think this is V4 now... But don't quote me on that one. They also changed the box design so you can open the cover and see the headphones. Still a nice box, but I think the old box had a better design. 

May 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #1,023 of 1,345
does anyone know if a dac/amp makes the tma more enjoyable and surprising? or the improvement is very small?

and if its recommended, which dac/amp would be good for the TMA-1? most of them concentrate on boosting the bass, but i think that one of these would make the tma too bassy and dark

May 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #1,024 of 1,345
does anyone know if a dac/amp makes the tma more enjoyable and surprising? or the improvement is very small?   and if its recommended, which dac/amp would be good for the TMA-1? most of them concentrate on boosting the bass, but i think that one of these would make the tma too bassy and dark

It did for me, but I think it's more because my on board dac was horrible. It really depends on your set up. To my ears the extra power doesn't do anything. However paired with the right dac there could be a nice improvement. For me it was significantly noticeable upon playing 24 bit flac files.

I have an audio-gd nfb-11 btw, which isn't a dark amp/dac at all. It works pretty well IMO.

May 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,025 of 1,345
I have a pair for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #1,026 of 1,345
Quote:
does anyone know if a dac/amp makes the tma more enjoyable and surprising? or the improvement is very small?

and if its recommended, which dac/amp would be good for the TMA-1? most of them concentrate on boosting the bass, but i think that one of these would make the tma too bassy and dark

I use an Audinst mx1 with mine and sometimes my LD mk4 se. They obviously work better when helped either by amp, dac or both. I don't think they especially picky with either of my set ups. I am actually selling mine on an auction site as I want to try the AKG k550's  and don't want to own yet another set of cans! You could just go down the e17 route as that way you also have a portable unit?

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #1,028 of 1,345
it doesn't seem right, but I'm not sure if it's just a mechanism to allow the locking mechanism to work properly and not torque the plug out of place.

I think they're broken though, but work fine...

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #1,031 of 1,345
Quote:
Anyone have this problem with the TMA-1?

No, I don't -- but bear in mind that my TMA-1s are from an earlier batch, before AiAiAi introduced the cable locking mechanism. On my TMA-1s, the jack's inner ring (the one that's recessed and jiggly in your video) is flush with the outer ring and firmly in place.

Quote:
Anyone have this problem with the TMA-1?

No, I don't -- but bear in mind that my TMA-1s are from an earlier batch, before AiAiAi introduced the cable locking mechanism. On my TMA-1s, the jack's inner ring (the one that's recessed and jiggly in your video) is flush with the outer ring and firmly in place.

wink.gif

EDIT: Looking at pictures on the web, it's at least clear that the inner ring is meant to be recessed on later versions like yours. I doubt the jiggly-ness you're seeing is normal, but I can't say for sure since I don't have that particular version.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #1,032 of 1,345
Quote:

wink.gif

Thanks.

I'll wait for someone else to confirm... I hate warranty replacements

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,033 of 1,345
Quote:
Thanks.

I'll wait for someone else to confirm... I hate warranty replacements

Looks like I snuck in a small edit to my previous post before seeing your reply...but, yes, you should wait for confirmation from someone with your version (or confirmation from AiAiAi themselves, since they should know better than anyone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back