AIAIAI TMA-1
May 6, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #796 of 1,345

Quote:
It's up to the person whether or not they can hear the differences. I'm not that much of an experienced audiophile but I can discern quality relatively easily.

I bought one of aleki's TMA-1's (currently shipped) and a straight monster cable ($9 FTW) waiting for them. I also have had the over-ear Bose that you linked, and I thought they were horrible. Simply put, all of the Bose's sound felt "exaggerated" in a way. The thing that really made it weird was the treble on those things; it sounds so exaggerated I instantly became confused. However I'm used to the Etymotic sound so the exaggeration would have an profound (negative) effect to me. The mids/highs, although a bit muffled, were decent and bass was average. I'll let you know how I feel about the TMA-1's after I receive them. 

Over ear are quite bad, around ear is a different thing
And I didn't find them to enhance/exaggerate the details that much, they were pretty good

May 6, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #798 of 1,345

Quote:
So true!

I have a pair of Bose AE and everybody talks **** about them, but I compared my FA-003/02w ($250 HP) and I saw almost no difference. To the untrained ear, I don't see Bose overpriced

I'll admit, my first impressions of the AE's(dont remember if they were the AE2's) were quite surprising. I havent had an extensive listen(just the quick store demo), but overall I was pleasantly surprised how well they played with the demo tracks and could see why people would be content with them. My initial disposition to Bose is primarily due to the skepticism and general crapping they receive on these forums; but to be fair, their more expensive, and possibly outdated, cans next to the AE's sounded like a kid swatting a water noodle against filthy pool water.

Since I'm a bit thin on funds, I have no plans on doing a take-home test of them; although considering how they only played easy jazz tracks at the demo kiosk, I would wage the difference between the Bose AE's and comparable cans would be tone and recovery.

May 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #799 of 1,345
I think the only Bose I've tried were a pair of the noise canceling and the on-ear ones.  Both were terribly muddy/congested and sounded like your run of the mill $20 Sony/Phillips/etc. in my opinion.  I'm fairly confident I've never heard the AE model.  I don't know anyone that owns them, but if I happen to get the chance I'll give them a listen.

May 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #800 of 1,345

Quote:
Tried my friend's Bose today (http://www.amazon.com/Around-Ear-Headphones-Personal-Portable-Listening/dp/B000MMWT9Q/ref=sr_1_45?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304723340&sr=1-45), and I have to say, I can't spot a huge difference in the sound. This is discouraging to me. Everyone always talks about how crappy the sound is, but I don't know if it really is that bad, or if the TMA's are just overpriced. Hm.

These were actually my first over-ear headphones. When I first got them I thought they sounded great! However, I listened to them again (after having owned M50S and my TMA-1's). I have never believed that Bose deserved all the hatred and criticism they receive here, but *to me* the TMA-1's definitely sound better. The sound is more engaging, more spacious, and just more enjoyable for me overall. However, if they sound the same to you, who cares? Get the Bose. Your wallet will be a happy :D

*Everyone has different ears

May 7, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #801 of 1,345
I'd pay the extra $100 just for better looks, build quality, and replaceable cable.

Quote:
These were actually my first over-ear headphones. When I first got them I thought they sounded great! However, I listened to them again (after having owned M50S and my TMA-1's). I have never believed that Bose deserved all the hatred and criticism they receive here, but *to me* the TMA-1's definitely sound better. The sound is more engaging, more spacious, and just more enjoyable for me overall. However, if they sound the same to you, who cares? Get the Bose. Your wallet will be a happy :D

*Everyone has different ears

May 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #802 of 1,345
Well, they didn't sound the same, but it was hard to discern which was the best. It's hard to explain. Part of it was the fact that everyone in the class was being really loud, so it was hard to focus on aspects of different genres I tried out (guitar, drums, cymbals especially and backing vocals for rock; and bass definition & color in the music for electronica) since I had a bunch of loud high schoolers sitting around me.

Oh well, I'm sure that in the end, the TMA's have more pros and less cons than the Bose. Damn, they were pretty comfy though
redface.gif

And hey, I'll admit when I've bought bad headphones. Screw it, I'll just sell them. I guess the real question is: What am I going to get after the TMA-1's break? Do I replace them or get something better for possibly a better price? Decisions, decisions.

May 7, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #803 of 1,345
Good luck breaking them 
tongue.gif
 The TMA-1s are some of the best built headphones I have seen. So I doubt that will happen any time soon. Probably by the time you break them you'll have already saved up enough for a proper upgrade.

Quote:
Well, they didn't sound the same, but it was hard to discern which was the best. It's hard to explain. Part of it was the fact that everyone in the class was being really loud, so it was hard to focus on aspects of different genres I tried out (guitar, drums, cymbals especially and backing vocals for rock; and bass definition & color in the music for electronica) since I had a bunch of loud high schoolers sitting around me.

Oh well, I'm sure that in the end, the TMA's have more pros and less cons than the Bose. Damn, they were pretty comfy though
redface.gif

And hey, I'll admit when I've bought crappy headphones. **** it, I'll just sell them. I guess the real question is: What am I going to get after the TMA-1's break? Do I replace them or get something better for possibly a better price? Decisions, decisions.

May 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #804 of 1,345

Quote:
Good luck breaking them 
tongue.gif
 The TMA-1s are some of the best built headphones I have seen. So I doubt that will happen any time soon. Probably by the time you break them you'll have already saved up enough for a proper upgrade.

+1, I dont see how you could break these unless its an intentional thing or your dog uses it as a chew toy. Most headphones break at the headband, not the drivers; its a greater initial expense, although I doubt I'll be having to source a replacement a year down the line.

May 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #806 of 1,345

Quote:
Question. Do these require extensive burn in time?

In my experience, no.  It may be brain burn in more than anything else, but they currently strike me as slightly less bass-heavy than when I originally purchased them.  Still definitely a dark headphone with low treble quantity (not quality) pre-EQ, but slightly more balanced overall.

May 7, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #807 of 1,345
↑what he said. except I havent experienced less bass. I do remember reading that some of the early models had an issue with diminishing bass output. I wonder if they burn in the drivers before assembly.
to be quite honest, I really like the recessed treble; its a very remeniscent of the IE8 treble after ~100hr burn in. It may not be as obvious like on a pair of TF10's, but its effortlessly coherent and I dont feel like I'm missing out on any detail. its that kind of quality that I feel allows you to listen for hours without irritating your ears.

May 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #808 of 1,345
Completely random, but according to Aiaiai's FB page, Snoop Dogg was spotted in Sydney with a pair of TMA-1s. I whole heartedly expected him to have Dre Beats... 

May 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #809 of 1,345
Quote:
Completely random, but according to Aiaiai's FB page, Snoop Dogg was spotted in Sydney with a pair of TMA-1s. I whole heartedly expected him to have Dre Beats... 

I don't follow the rap scene but I'd imagine they can't exactly endorse a rival's product that way, even if they don't kill each other anymore... 
evil_smiley.gif

May 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #810 of 1,345
Ah but what if he made "Snoop Dogg" Dre Beats.... Everyone seems to be making their own brand of Dre Beats... The music industry is making me cringe lately... What happened to marketing music...?

Quote:
I don't follow the rap scene but I'd imagine they can't exactly endorse a rival's product that way, even if they don't kill each other anymore... 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back