AIAIAI TMA-1
May 14, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #826 of 1,345
Haven't had these very long, and for the majority of that time, I've had a wicked ear infection.  Finally been able to spend a little time with them though:

People seem to be concerned about the loose headband.  Initially, I was a little put off by the lack of clamp as well as they felt like they were ready to fall off at any moment.  The more time I spend with them on my head, though, the more I realize this is might just be a feature.  They are so loose and comfy, yet they do stay on.  The more I get used to the false feeling that they are going to fall off, the more I think the fit is brilliant (for me, anyway).

It is kind of funny what music really shines through these headphones.  Uneq'd, it is like they were made expressly for listening to Gorillaz's Plastic Beach.  Violin, of the Andrew Bird/Owen Pallett variety, sounded really nice as well, which was unexpected.  

That being said, they need to be EQ'd... The rest of my music, mostly rock of one sort or another, just didn't sound all that great.  Listening to Talking Heads was just really lackluster, and more conventional contemporary rock a la Spoon was pretty weak as well.

Fortunately, I am using a rockboxed clip+.  Pushed the treble a bit (or rather, cut the bass and mids to varying degrees) and I am loving the sound for all of my music.  

Bottom line, if you are an anti-EQ purist and listen to something other than what this thread has mentioned these are great for, it seems these are not a good purchase.  EQ'd, I am very very happy with them. 

Anyway, I was intrigued by the "almost wireless" setup some people in this thread had going.  Kinda wondering how essential ya'll think the angled plug is.  Would a straight plug wrapped back around put too much strain on the jack? 

May 19, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #827 of 1,345
I'm having a small problem with my new TMA-1:s that I hope someone here might be able to help me with... Just got them and I love almost everything with them, except they don't have any mic/play button for phones (the apple store version was too expensive for me). Anyways, to solve this I bought a (probably fake, pictured below) monster cable off ebay with mic and button.

When I try to use it with the TMA-1 it doesn't really work though. If I connect the cable to my iphone without plugging them into the headphones, both the button and the mic works as expected with the phone. When I plug the cable into the headphones, the sound is only "half" (sound in both ears but maybe only left/right signal) and the button doesn't work. If I carefully pull it out a bit of the phone, I hear all of the sound and the button works but that position in the jack is very unstable. Also, if I press and hold the button while fully plugged in, it sounds like it should!

Shame on me for buying fake cables I guess, but is there any workaround/modification/anything? Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

May 19, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #828 of 1,345
I have the same exact cable (except mine is authentic) and I have no issues with it at all. You should try complaining to the ebay user that sold it to you and tell them it doesnt work. Sometimes they'll send you another one and let you keep the defective pair as the cable usually costs less to make than the return postage. Otherwise, if you plan to keep it, you can try to fashion a "bumper" on the jack so it stops a little shallow.

May 20, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #829 of 1,345
@olllllen, who was the ebay seller? i got my regular red beats replacement cable from littlebluestore09, its working fine i guess, i need to find a 100% authentic one to compare it with tho >.<

what dac/amp do you guys use for ur tma-1s? and you guys know any active/passive speaker that sounds similar to tma-1s?

May 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #830 of 1,345
aleki: good idea, I emailed the seller and asked for a replacement. Still awaiting an answer... I opened the button part and moved the internal button a little so that it's always pressed so now I can at least use it as a regular cable instead of the coiled one while not DJing etc.

diodel: actually I bought it through a friend's account so I can't check right now but littlebluestore09 sounds familiar. I don't really care if they're fake or not as long as they work, monster cables are so overpriced...

If I won't get a replacement, are there any other cable alternatives for the TMA-1 with answer button, mic and maybe volume control too?

May 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #831 of 1,345
When I had mine I used them with both the Arrow 3G and the FiiO E7.

They did not pair well with the E7 at all, but the Arrow really opened them up and sounded amazing.

I'd love to see them paired with the E11 once it hits though.

Quote:

what dac/amp do you guys use for ur tma-1s? and you guys know any active/passive speaker that sounds similar to tma-1s?

May 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #832 of 1,345
Well can confirm now that I bought the isonitalk from littlebluestore09 , I emailed them and complained about my broken cable. Got a reply telling me that I will get my money back, no replacement though as they "stopped selling the cable". The hunt goes on I guess, seems to be much fewer sellers of the isonitalk on ebay now than a few weeks ago. If monster could only make the controltalk cable in black and not red, and sell it for half the price while at it! Still, are there any alternatives to the monster cables?

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #834 of 1,345
So it's been a while since I've read up on these headphones, but have they been updated? At dijitalfix they're labeled as "V3." I wasn't even aware of a 2nd version.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #835 of 1,345
Quote:
So it's been a while since I've read up on these headphones, but have they been updated? At dijitalfix they're labeled as "V3." I wasn't even aware of a 2nd version.

That's a good question. Your post is the first I've heard of a (possible) recent revision...If you do find out what has supposedly changed with the V3 models (and I suspect asking dijitalfix and/or AIAIAI directly is your best bet), please let us know.

EDIT: One of dijitalfix's drop-down options for the TMA-1s -- which wasn't there before -- is "with Mic and Control"...I wonder if the latest "revision" simply involves the optional inclusion of a new iPhone-compatible cable...but it would be good to get clarification on what separates the V3s from the V2s from the original models.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #836 of 1,345
If that is true then AIAIAI may be the best company for listening to consumer demands. First customers demanded a shorter straight cord, and they delivered. And I'm sure that customers wanted an inline mic, and they gave that as well... All that is left are velor pads, and they got themselves a winner. 

Quote:
That's a good question. Your post is the first I've heard of a (possible) recent revision...If you do find out what has supposedly changed with the V3 models (and I suspect asking dijitalfix and/or AIAIAI directly is your best bet), please let us know.

EDIT: One of dijitalfix's drop-down options for the TMA-1s -- which wasn't there before -- is "with Mic and Control"...I wonder if the latest "revision" simply involves the optional inclusion of a new iPhone-compatible cable...but it would be good to get clarification on what separates the V3s from the V2s from the original models.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #837 of 1,345
So I contacted David from dijitalfix. V2 fixed some issues with the headband tightness. V3 includes extra leather pads instead of foam. He also said that there V3 has made improvements on sound, although he couldn't remember because it's been too long since he last last listened to the previous model.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #838 of 1,345
I really somehow doubt that. To me it sounds more like a bid to sell more units than unequivocal fact, especially since he needs to justify in full the heightened price, because most people don't think that an inline mic should cost that much more, in respect to this its $30 more almost. Which is a lot when you think about it. Might be a very good mic, but most people won't see it that way, so by saying they improved the SQ it makes it sound more appealing.

Quote:
So I contacted David from dijitalfix. V2 fixed some issues with the headband tightness. V3 includes extra leather pads instead of foam. He also said that there V3 has made improvements on sound, although he couldn't remember because it's been too long since he last last listened to the previous model.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #839 of 1,345
Yeah, just saying "there were improvements to the sound" is about as vague as one can get...But thank you for investigating just the same, neato.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #840 of 1,345
No problem. Too bad it seems like a packaging update than a sonic update. But good update nonetheless. Those foam pads were terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back