AIAIAI TMA-1
May 5, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #783 of 1,345

Quote:
Will it be any good though? I've heard that some sound like complete crap if you don't get the right kind.

Aside from quality, I doubt you'll notice a significant difference over the standard cable.
if one of your buddies owns the beats studio, offer to buy one of his cables (they come with two). my friend has one, and he wasnt using the black cable w/ the mic. I offered him $10 bucks and he bit
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #785 of 1,345

You're not going to mess up the SQ of the TMA-1 with something this small. Radioshack sells a nice, cheap line of 3.5 3 foot cables that work great.

PS: Beats actually have decent cables. I like them as plain ol interconnects.
Quote:
Uhh... I don't have any buddies with them. I'd rather get something that won't mess with the sound quality.

May 5, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #786 of 1,345

Quote:
Uhh... I don't have any buddies with them. I'd rather get something that won't mess with the sound quality.

Considering you are in a budget, and you arent looking for a long cable, you really wont notice a significant difference between stock and a cheapie.
The only difference I noticed between the monster cable and the stock pigtail is that the monster actually kept its pitch better when cranking the music; although I havent done any critical comparisons, so it could be attributed to something else.

Quote:

PS: Beats actually have decent cables. I like them as plain ol interconnects.

I really like the cable, although the one that came with the TMA feels nicer. I primarily bought it for the in-line mic; now I can game with my TMA's
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #787 of 1,345
I've heard great things about Kitsound. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120630708992&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&afsrc=1 I'm going to buy one soon, but I'm waiting until after mother's day. And yes, Beats cables are nice. That is the only cable I might buy from them, but I would personally prefer to keep the cable black. I like keeping it low profile. 

Cables don't have a huge effect, but that said, I really don't trust Radio Shack cables for high end usage. After I heard what their converter did to a pair of higher end Grado headphones (325i) I decided that they are not worth it, despite being so cheap. 

May 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #788 of 1,345

I had that Kitsound cable with my TMA-1 for awhile. It's a nice cable, but it's a little thin, and stiff. You'll have to work it out for awhile before it starts to really feel right.
Quote:
I've heard great things about Kitsound. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120630708992&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&afsrc=1 I'm going to buy one soon, but I'm waiting until after mother's day. And yes, Beats cables are nice. That is the only cable I might buy from them, but I would personally prefer to keep the cable black. I like keeping it low profile. 

Cables don't have a huge effect, but that said, I really don't trust Radio Shack cables for high end usage. After I heard what their converter did to a pair of higher end Grado headphones (325i) I decided that they are not worth it, despite being so cheap. 

May 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #790 of 1,345
May 5, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #791 of 1,345

Quote:
This was a cable I considered but the problem is it's so long. 1.5m is quite a bit of extra cable. I've found that 1m is the best length, albeit even that seems a little long at times.

I used the Ultrasone Short cable for my TMA-1 for quite some time, too. That was my favorite cable for it.

Link?

May 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #793 of 1,345
Tried my friend's Bose today (http://www.amazon.com/Around-Ear-Headphones-Personal-Portable-Listening/dp/B000MMWT9Q/ref=sr_1_45?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304723340&sr=1-45), and I have to say, I can't spot a huge difference in the sound. This is discouraging to me. Everyone always talks about how bad the sound is, but I don't know if it really is that bad, or if the TMA's are just overpriced. Hm.

May 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #794 of 1,345

Quote:
Tried my friend's Bose today (http://www.amazon.com/Around-Ear-Headphones-Personal-Portable-Listening/dp/B000MMWT9Q/ref=sr_1_45?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304723340&sr=1-45), and I have to say, I can't spot a huge difference in the sound. This is discouraging to me. Everyone always talks about how crappy the sound is, but I don't know if it really is that bad, or if the TMA's are just overpriced. Hm.

So true!

I have a pair of Bose AE and everybody talks **** about them, but I compared my FA-003/02w ($250 HP) and I saw almost no difference. To the untrained ear, I don't see Bose overpriced

May 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #795 of 1,345
It's up to the person whether or not they can hear the differences. I'm not that much of an experienced audiophile but I can discern quality relatively easily.

I bought one of aleki's TMA-1's (currently shipped) and a straight monster cable ($9 FTW) waiting for them. I also have had the over-ear Bose that you linked, and I thought they were horrible. Simply put, all of the Bose's sound felt "exaggerated" in a way. The thing that really made it weird was the treble on those things; it sounds so exaggerated I instantly became confused. However I'm used to the Etymotic sound so the exaggeration would have an profound (negative) effect to me. The mids/highs, although a bit muffled, were decent and bass was average. I'll let you know how I feel about the TMA-1's after I receive them. 

Quote:
Tried my friend's Bose today (http://www.amazon.com/Around-Ear-Headphones-Personal-Portable-Listening/dp/B000MMWT9Q/ref=sr_1_45?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304723340&sr=1-45), and I have to say, I can't spot a huge difference in the sound. This is discouraging to me. Everyone always talks about how crappy the sound is, but I don't know if it really is that bad, or if the TMA's are just overpriced. Hm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back