AIAIAI TMA-1
Nov 17, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #241 of 1,345

Are these different to the foam ones?  
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Synthetic Replacement pads, these do not come with TMA-1 as original pads.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #242 of 1,345

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Yes.  Foam pads are foam only, no sythentic/pleather covering at all, and the result is a thin crappy sound.  I will not be suprised if AIAIAI drop the foam altogether. Picture below has TMA-1 with foam pads on.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #244 of 1,345

Cheers Kernmac

Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

Yes.  Foam pads are foam only, no sythentic/pleather covering at all, and the result is a thin crappy sound.  I will not be suprised if AIAIAI drop the foam altogether. Picture below has TMA-1 with foam pads on.

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #245 of 1,345
I'm kinda dreading if I eventually get these and like them. I'll no longer be able to use my expensive favorite bag. The Waterfield Muzetto is great for the t50ps plus my other stuff. It's a really thin bag though. No way they'd fit the TMAs. I'd have to go back to my Tom Bihn Imago messenger - which is the best messenger I've ever used but ugly as sin. :frowning2:

But I could order them and hate the loss of treble, so there's always that. :)

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #246 of 1,345
Received a pair of the new "synthetic" pads today, initial impressions are that there is little to no sound difference compared to original Semi-leather pads.  They are slightly lower profile and more [size=10pt]wrinkled [/size]in appearance than the Semi-leather, but have similar sound c[size=10pt]haracteristic[/size]. The synthetic material has slight "physical noise" when it it moves against the ear, so IMO the original supplied Semi-Leather is the the best pad to have on your TMA-1s. New pads are a significant step up from the foam however and maybe AIAIAI will substitute the foam with the synthetic down the track.  Hopefully they will develop a velour or similar, to create yet another choice.

EDIT: Plainsong; the TMA-1 doesn't lack treble, the high end sound spectrum is just not emphasised.  They are very non- fatiguing and "fun' as a result.

And I googled that Waterfield Muzetto messanger, very nice man bag.

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #248 of 1,345

Quote:
Domaphone you just answered your own question I think?

Yeah I guess I kinda did, but even then, my mood could change. Plus, I've decided to give these a year and then see how they play out. On top of that still, I already have HD25's, which, I have convinced myself, are the most versatile headphones on the market excluding the TMA's. I could either listen to a crappy Limewire rip of McCartney's Blackbird on my 1st generation iPod with them, or I could DJ for ten thousand people with them, and both occasions will be a great success. 

Time will tell, and then I'll have a definite answer. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #249 of 1,345
Got 'em in, and have been spending some of my morning listening while I work. Not impressed initially, like some say at first. I'm hoping they burn in some and open up. They're just a tad dark and closed-in sounding. So far I'm not too thrilled with the pair of ES10's I picked up second-hand either, and at first I didn't like these much more over the AT's. But as I get used to them, I think I'm getting along better with their sound. They seem to not make any major missteps aside from the initial feeling of dark tone.

One thing which is really helping me like them is pairing up with the Arrow 12HE amp. Boy do they take to amping well so far. The soundstage gets noticeably wider, and treble more tactile and present. Very nice improvements there. The funny thing is how some phones will take to amping so well, and others not so much, like the ES10's. For some reason to my ears those actually sound a hair worse with the Arrow in the mix. They really sing best straight out of my Sony X1060. Both the ES10's and TMA-1's tie for the most efficient cans I've ever plugged into a DAP... very, very drivable to big volumes with the Sony. But it's just so nice how the Arrow seems to grab hold of the TMA-1's drivers and control them with more vice-like precision. 

Looking forward to how they improve as the drivers settle in.....

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #250 of 1,345

Only I'm not a man. :wink:

I'll probably give these a try at some point. What's the worst thing that happens? I like a sound signature better? I prefer the Beyers?

Quote:
Received a pair of the new "synthetic" pads today, initial impressions are that there is little to no sound difference compared to original Semi-leather pads.  They are slightly lower profile and more [size=10pt]wrinkled [/size]in appearance than the Semi-leather, but have similar sound c[size=10pt]haracteristic[/size]. The synthetic material has slight "physical noise" when it it moves against the ear, so IMO the original supplied Semi-Leather is the the best pad to have on your TMA-1s. New pads are a significant step up from the foam however and maybe AIAIAI will substitute the foam with the synthetic down the track.  Hopefully they will develop a velour or similar, to create yet another choice.

EDIT: Plainsong; the TMA-1 doesn't lack treble, the high end sound spectrum is just not emphasised.  They are very non- fatiguing and "fun' as a result.

And I googled that Waterfield Muzetto messanger, very nice man bag.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #252 of 1,345

Quote:
Only I'm not a man. :wink:

I apologise for my generalisation/assumption that you would be a male.  It is difficult to identify gender via a thread topic, and probably no real need, everyone here is a Headfier full stop, regardless of gender etc.  The Waterfield Muzetto apart from being a nice man bag is also obviously a great looking bag for a female. Beautiful, simple and functional design (just like a TMA-1) and the leather quality looks exceptional.

Sorry for my off topic.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #253 of 1,345
Can't recall where/if I've seen that comparison around here, but I can say I like them a good deal better than the ATH-ES10's I have right now (which seem to be similar to how I remember the M50's when I had them- probably won't keep the ES10's very long) . They're more detailed, more open and natural sounding than the AT's. 

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #255 of 1,345
Perhaps this is of some interest. A reply to my question about the ear pads and the differing terminology currently used in the web shop and the newsletter...

"Sorry for the late reply and confusion.

We have to admit that we have not been very accurate with names for our ear pads. First of all, there are three different kinds of ear pads:

Foam (they come with the TMA-1)
      Protein Leather (they also come with the TMA-1 and are called leather on the package)
      PU Leather (they are available as extra ear pads on our webshop).

Now the newsletter writes about leather (which actually are the protein leather ear pads) and semi-lether (which are the PU leather ear pads). On our webshop we called the protein leather pads for semi-leather ear pads and the PU leather pads are called synthetic.

The reason why we have different names is that we do not want to call the protein leather ear pads "leather pads" anymore, as they are not really made out of leather and the name is misleading. However we have not coordinated this very well so at the moment there is only confusion. We hope though to agree on names for the different pads soon.

If you want to order some additional pads, using our webshop's terminology, please refer to this:

Semi-leather (protein leather pads, the ones that come with the TMA-1)
      Synthetic (PU leather pads).

I deeply apologize for the confusion and hope I could sort it out for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back