AIAIAI TMA-1
Nov 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #260 of 1,345
Listening to these was kind of like a throwback to the days I would buy $30 Coby headphones.
blink.gif

Maybe a little bit of an exaggeration, but I definitely thought there was a huge disconnect between the sound quality and the price.

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #261 of 1,345

Quote:
Listening to these was kind of like a throwback to the days I would buy $30 Coby headphones.
blink.gif

Maybe a little bit of an exaggeration, but I definitely thought there was a huge disconnect between the sound quality and the price.

Proof we all hear differently.  I have had  my TMA-1 for a few weeks now and I think their sound quality punches well above their weight.

Did you buy a pair, listen to them in a shop, at a meet?  How long did you listen to them for? And what pads did they have at the time?

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #263 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:
blink.gif

Proof we all hear differently.  I have had  my TMA-1 for a few weeks now and I think their sound quality punches well above their weight.

Did you buy a pair, listen to them in a shop, at a meet?  How long did you listen to them for? And what pads did they have at the time?

I listened to them in a store, 32 Ohm Audio in Portland. I think they were the stock pads. I listened to a couple songs, but that was enough for me to find a lot to like it much cheaper headphones. They sounded incredibly muffled to me, I couldn't find anything to like about them outside their built quality. I was actually a little disappointed because I heard them being compared to the HD-25's a lot, and I'd never heard those, so I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. But man, I just was not feeling them.

On the flip side, I heard these:
http://www.aiaiai.dk/headphones/tracks-headphones/tracks-headphone-black.html

I couldn't believe how much better they sounded, for looking so cheap and stupid.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #264 of 1,345
If stock pads = foam, then that makes sense.  If pads were pleather, then you simply have different taste/hear differently to me.

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #266 of 1,345
I don't know man, I can't imagine them keeping them on hand to listen to if they were broken.

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #267 of 1,345
Well, I've had them for over a month, and - without personal preference - they are technically as proficient as all the quality closed studio phones out there (I've tested them all exhaustively, including the HD25, also owned quite a few pairs over the years and ABed them against the TMA). You've heard them for a few minutes in a store... I really wouldn't judge them by that. Whatever it was, my pair of TMA is not muffled at all and clearly worth their money.

I understand when people don't like a phone because of personal preferences (HD650 vs. K701 owners, etc) - but what you described seems a bit too devastating to not suspect there's something wrong with the pair the store had on display. I don't want to sound like a fanboy here, blindly defending a piece of equipment, I'm just astonished to hear a reaction like that from an initial listening session with them.

Nov 26, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #268 of 1,345
Quote:
On the flip side, I heard these: http://www.aiaiai.dk/headphones/tracks-headphones/tracks-headphone-black.html

I couldn't believe how much better they sounded, for looking so cheap and stupid.
tongue_smile.gif

I actually like the look of those, they look clean and minimalistic - and as you said cheap too :p

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #270 of 1,345
Frequency response means very little if there is no mention on the way it is measured, ie how much dB determines where the range stops. That's why Sennheiser gives two frequency response measures for its HD 800.

Most manufacturers gives a - 10 dB FR if I remeber correctly, but I'm not sure.

More telling is a frequency curve, but even that is certainly not enough to judge a pair of phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back