AIAIAI TMA-1
Dec 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #466 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you love the TMA-1 then I am indeed sorry for your wallet - cause the HD 650 are everything like them, and then some. :wink:

In my opinion the HD600 are closer to the HD25, the HD650 are closer to the TMA-1.

Oh man. This is what I've been wanting to find. I've been looking something more portable that is similar to the sound of my HD650's, as they are still my go-to phones every night. 

btw: I haven't really read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but there's a version 1 and version 2?? I'm thinking about picking up a set on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/AIAIAI-TMA-1-DJ-Headphones-Black/dp/B00404H6DQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293058671&sr=8-1

Is there any way to telling if it's a V1 or V2 just by looking at them?

We haven't quite found out. I got mine from dijitalfix, I asked them what version they were, and they said V2. Some V1's have problems with the gluing of the rubber to the headband and others have clamping issues. Only a few do though.

The V2's have none of these issues, and according to the head of Dijital fix, all they have are V2's. Since they only got them in from the factory 4 weeks ago (2 weeks, when I ordered them.)

Hmm. Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll order them from Digital Fix instead of Amazon then. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #467 of 1,345
I ordered them through Amazon form Turntable Labs, and they said that they received all of their TMA-1s within the past month, so they would be V2. I'm not sure if they are still available from Amazon, but you can check it out. You could also contact the seller, which is what I did. 

Also, I can't believe I'm gonna get these, but now I want a DAC and/or an amp for my computer, which only has a crappy on board sound card. This place can ruin your wallet. 
devil_face.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #468 of 1,345

Quote:
I ordered them through Amazon form Turntable Labs, and they said that they received all of their TMA-1s within the past month, so they would be V2. I'm not sure if they are still available from Amazon, but you can check it out. You could also contact the seller, which is what I did. 

Also, I can't believe I'm gonna get these, but now I want a DAC and/or an amp for my computer, which only has a crappy on board sound card. This place can ruin your wallet. 
devil_face.gif

Indeed it can. xD

Anyway, I recommend Dijital Fix, because even with normal USPS shipping (2 weeks) and Canadian Customs (Usually adds another week),

.. I got mine in 5 days. No Joke. 

Anyway, I do recommend them, they pack it in bubble wrap, some fancy shredded paper, and the cardboard box is all stamped with their logo.

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #469 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:

devil_face.gif

Indeed it can. xD

Anyway, I recommend Dijital Fix, because even with normal USPS shipping (2 weeks) and Canadian Customs (Usually adds another week),

Anyway, I do recommend them, they pack it in bubble wrap, some fancy shredded paper, and the cardboard box is all stamped with their logo.

I second  that, I got mine from dijital fix and I live in Korea.....they are so friendly and customer service is fantastic!!!

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #470 of 1,345
i was totally sold on the m50s for my first set of audiophile grade headphones but now these are grabbing my attention, the possibilities of over ear design and different colors just add to it. (a white or off white color sounds nice, with maybe the option of different colored earpads?) I really like the look of the new senn hd598. 

i personally like the red cable+tma-1 combo, you could say it takes away from what the tma-1 IS but in other eyes it says something else, STYLE. for the younger generation it might matter more, me being me im already thinking about getting a few different colored cables to match what im wearing. 

right now it looks like ill be buying these, but ill hold off on the buy till after xmas just to see if the price goes down or if i could just find them cheaper. im almost glad i just stepped into the world of headphones because now i can have confidence that what im buying is the v2 version.

also i just thought about this not 10 seconds ago but...from what i read, the only good earpads for these are the stock ones, some have tried a velour mod and it doesnt affect sq as much as the foam earpads but they say it still has some affect...what im wondering is, if its a over ear design will it matter much what material of earpads your using as far as sq goes? im guessing not. opinons?

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #471 of 1,345
I managed to get a new pair of TMA-1's for 100 euros, it is a G-Star edition but the logo is probably removeable. I hope I will receive the headphone soon so that I can compare it to the Sennheiser HD25-1 II!

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #472 of 1,345

Quote:
Indeed it can. xD

I live in Toronto and would like to buy these from Dijital Fix. I think you are the only person on this thread who lives in Canada and has bought these headphones. I'm guessing since DF uses USPS  that you didn't pay any brokerage fees but did you have to pay any duty fees on the headphones?

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #474 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed it can. xD

I live in Toronto and would like to buy these from Dijital Fix. I think you are the only person on this thread who lives in Canada and has bought these headphones. I'm guessing since DF uses USPS  that you didn't pay any brokerage fees but did you have to pay any duty fees on the headphones?

I had to pay nothing when I received them. They got here really fast, so I was out when they were delivered. They just left a note on the doorknob and the package on the front doormat. (Idk if they would do the same for you, but I'm confident about the shipping time.)

I'm on the other side of the continent from NY (Where DF is) so it should reach you no problem.

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #475 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:
what im wondering is, if its a over ear design will it matter much what material of earpads your using as far as sq goes? im guessing not. opinons?

I'm assuming that foam pads will still give the headphones a treble-happy, bass-free sound even on a circumaural design, but I may be wrong.

Im almost positive that assumption is correct, it just may not be as pronounced as the on ear design since your ears on the over ear design will be closer to the driver. Whatever happens just hope that sq isnt affected if we would choose to use velour pads, those things are pimp. If it does change the sound the lets have high hopes that its a improvement.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #477 of 1,345
I just received my pair today, and they are great. The only problem I have is that I think I may have a pair that has the gluing/loose headband problem. They stay on very well, but if I only slightly lean back, they start to slowly slip off my head. It only happens when leaning back, so it's not much of a problem, but it can be annoying. Is there any way for me to tell if my pair is V1, and do you think I should contact AIAIAI?

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #478 of 1,345

Quote:
I just received my pair today, and they are great. The only problem I have is that I think I may have a pair that has the gluing/loose headband problem. They stay on very well, but if I only slightly lean back, they start to slowly slip off my head. It only happens when leaning back, so it's not much of a problem, but it can be annoying. Is there any way for me to tell if my pair is V1, and do you think I should contact AIAIAI?

They must be V1.  I couldn't see this happening with the set that I got, even if you have a relatively small head.  Actually, maybe I can run a test with my fiancee and convince her to try them on.  She weighs less than 100lbs and barely breaks 5ft tall.  If they stay put on her head they'll accommodate pretty much anyone's. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #479 of 1,345
I've been listening to mine quite a bit lately, and I think i can post my thoughts now. I will do so in point form to make it easier on people, and those too hungover from Christmas to read paragraphs. Anyway. The TMA-1's.

BUILD & COMFORT:
  1. The pads are Very Comfortable. 
  2. However, because they are on-ear, you feel the cups shift more than you would a full-size paid of headphones.
  3. The build quality, (V2's mainly.) is amazing. The matte is smooth to the touch, the cups swivel just enough for your needs, and the headband is flexible yet sturdy.
  4. They are extremely stylish, and definitely going for the 'minimalistic' approach.
  5. They are sturdy, and there's no crackling of plastic, or any other worrying features.
  6. When worn for extended periods (2+ hours) The headband gets a bit loose when you take them off. It fixes itself after letting them rest on a table or something for 20 minutes.

SOUND QUALITY:
  1. The bass extension is amazing, much deeper than my previous cans, the ATH-M50's*. (*= This is from memory, my M50's have been out-of-commission for a while)
  2. It had great bass punch, it's clear, not muddy, and you can 'feel' it on some bass-heavy songs.
  3. The overall sound out-of-box can be a bit dark, but is easily fixed with minor EQ'ing. (Aka, Treble Booster setting on iTunes or iPod touch/iPhone)
  4. Treble is clear, full bodied, with plenty of presence.
  5. Mids are roomy, very clear, and slightly laid back. The mids are a big part of the Soundstage.
  6. Soundstage on these impressed me, much larger feeling than my past M50's. I actually expected less than the M50's, due to size. (*= Again, from memory)
  7. Best genres I found for these were: Techno, Rock, Pop, Dance, Vocaloid, Metal, Orchestra. Anything with a hint of bass in it, sound amazing. Acoustics sound amazing due to the clarity.
  8. Instrumentals like folk songs do not do as well, but still sound great. (Just not as amazing as above genres.)
  9. One thing I do not like is that the bass, while having good punch and clarity, is almost a bit 'too' deep for me, un-EQ'd at least. The Treble Booster EQ setting balances everything amazingly though.

OTHER:
  1. A Straight cable is generally recommended for portable or even non-portable use. Since the other cable is rather large.

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #480 of 1,345

Quote:

Quote:

They must be V1.  I couldn't see this happening with the set that I got, even if you have a relatively small head.  Actually, maybe I can run a test with my fiancee and convince her to try them on.  She weighs less than 100lbs and barely breaks 5ft tall.  If they stay put on her head they'll accommodate pretty much anyone's. 
wink_face.gif

What should I do? Should I contact AIAIAI for a replacement? I didn't buy them straight from the manufacturer, but from Turntable Labs through Amazon. Would I even be able to get a replacement from AIAIAI for free?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back