AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 27, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #5,041 of 5,483
Hi,
Has anyone tried the aeon flow closed with mrspeakers own vivo cable? I was wondering if it would be a still portable upgrade. Planning to use the ifi micro idsd bl and that cable can be directly terminated to a 6.5mm plug so that would also mean less strain on the jackplug I think...
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #5,042 of 5,483
Hi,
Has anyone tried the aeon flow closed with mrspeakers own vivo cable? I was wondering if it would be a still portable upgrade. Planning to use the ifi micro idsd bl and that cable can be directly terminated to a 6.5mm plug so that would also mean less strain on the jackplug I think...
I have a Vivo cable for my Ether C Flows, it's flexible but thick and heavy, I'd not recommend it for portable use. My Æon Cs have an Impact Audio Custom Infinity Series cable, which is much lighter.

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #5,043 of 5,483
I have a Vivo cable for my Ether C Flows, it's flexible but thick and heavy, I'd not recommend it for portable use. My Æon Cs have an Impact Audio Custom Infinity Series cable, which is much lighter.
Thanks for that info. I have heard good things about impact audio but how does that work? I see he has an etsy page but I dont think he is active there anymore.
Greetings, Anouk,
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #5,044 of 5,483

Was the vivo cable much of a sonic upgrade? I heard one on an Ether Cx at CanJam, but it was also part of a chain with some amazing tube amp and DAC so it was hard to discern how much the cable contributed.

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #5,045 of 5,483
Was the vivo cable much of a sonic upgrade? I heard one on an Ether Cx at CanJam, but it was also part of a chain with some amazing tube amp and DAC so it was hard to discern how much the cable contributed.
My main reason to get the Vivo cable was that I hated how the original cable(s) with my MrSpeakers headphones kept coiling/getting tangled up as I moved around my desk(s) and office(s). Vivo stays straight. I did not do a careful sound quality comparison, in part because I also was changing a lot of other stuff at the time (different amps, different tubes). It's good, that's all I can say.

Jul 27, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #5,046 of 5,483
FWIW, I don't think the Vivo is inherently better sonically than the Dummer cables (they're both solid...so if you do hear a difference, wonder how much is placebo). When I bought my AFC, I got the single ended Dummer cable. I recently bought a balanced cable for the AFC, and while I ordered Dummer, it had been discontinued and was sent Vivo. The main difference I can tell is that the Vivo is lighter. The overall braiding is still a similar diameter as Dummer, but the internal cording is less of a diameter (and why I guess MrSpeakers says it has less micro-phonics).

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #5,048 of 5,483
Can anyone recommend a cheapish balanced cable for the AFC? Around $50-$120?

I've had good success with cablearchitect on eBay. Most of the sub $100 options are pretty lightweight, flexible, and have low microphonics. They are not "heavy duty" in appearance and heft like the Dummer and Vivo cables, but are sturdy enough for my basic needs.

Jul 29, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #5,049 of 5,483
I'm very happy with my balanced cable from Arctic Cables on eBay. A 2 meter cable, depending on the XLR you choose, is between $120-150.

A cheaper but also excellent alternative would be a cable from Venus Audio on eBay. I have a cable for my Elears from them and while it's not as fancy as the Arctic Cable the cable itself is the same Mogami or Canare cable.

I had both cables made to custom lengths and both sellers were more than happy to accommodate my requests.

Periapt Cables are also worth consideration. Their price and build quality/style falls in between Venus Audio and Arctic Cables.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #5,051 of 5,483
Would this work, work well?

Take my unused balanced cable for Hd800s and get it reterminated for afc?

For use in a non-balanced / single ended capacity.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #5,052 of 5,483
I'm thinking of getting another amp for my work setup, which has been the iFI iDSD micro BL > AFC. I find this pairing to lack dynamics that I know the AFC is capable of on the Lyr 3 and Jot. Maybe it's not dynamics, but something just feels "held back" even if the headphones can get super loud even off of the eco/normal modes.

I'm thinking of getting a Vali 2 or maybe a Gillmore Lite MkII. Any thoughts on these pairings? I'm aiming for the most dynamics possible. I have heard good things about the MkII with the AFC, but also that the dynamics were compressed vs. the Jot.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #5,053 of 5,483
I'm thinking of getting another amp for my work setup, which has been the iFI iDSD micro BL > AFC. I find this pairing to lack dynamics that I know the AFC is capable of on the Lyr 3 and Jot. Maybe it's not dynamics, but something just feels "held back" even if the headphones can get super loud even off of the eco/normal modes.

I'm thinking of getting a Vali 2 or maybe a Gillmore Lite MkII. Any thoughts on these pairings? I'm aiming for the most dynamics possible. I have heard good things about the MkII with the AFC, but also that the dynamics were compressed vs. the Jot.
Try mojo?

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #5,055 of 5,483
Are there custom filters available and if so where could I find them ?

(Apart from the ones in the box)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back