AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 14, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #5,056 of 5,483
Are there custom filters available and if so where could I find them ?

(Apart from the ones in the box)
I don't know of any custom filters, but I think I remember hearing the closed aeons only got one set of filters when they were released. Mr. Speakers sells a kit with 3 sets of filters now, each one I think reduces treble and increased the bass a few db in different amounts.

https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/tuning-and-comfort/aeon-tuning-kit.html

Aug 14, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #5,057 of 5,483
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #5,059 of 5,483
Hi everyone, I have been using and loving the AFC as my daily driver. I recently noticed the 1/4 inch adapter that screws onto the DUMMER cable is becoming tarnished. I was wondering if anyone has a link to replacement connectors that fit the threads on the DUMMER cable. I didn't see them on the MrSpeakers website.

Any help is appreciated!

Aug 20, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #5,060 of 5,483
Hi everyone, I have been using and loving the AFC as my daily driver. I recently noticed the 1/4 inch adapter that screws onto the DUMMER cable is becoming tarnished. I was wondering if anyone has a link to replacement connectors that fit the threads on the DUMMER cable. I didn't see them on the MrSpeakers website.

Any help is appreciated!
The 1/4 screw on piece is exactly the same as what Beyerdynamic puts on theirs. I’ve seen and purchased those at Guitar Center. I’m sure Amazon will also have something
***edit***. Yup
746206CD-6719-43AD-B30C-AA957AF1708E.png

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #5,063 of 5,483
I recently received the THX 789 AAA from Drop and have to say it's not my favorite pairing with the AFC or Ether Cx after a few days of testing.

The THX sounds very clean with dynamic headphones with good dynamics and bass response. It's actually very impressive what this amp can do for the MSR7 in terms of layering of the bass, increasing the soundstage, and making an already fast headphone sound even faster.

However with the AFC the dynamics are very compressed and the mids and mid-bass sound very thin with the overall sound signature leaning towards a fatiguing brightness. I was running the AFC off the "balanced" XLR output, and the power output didn't seem to be a problem. These headphones can get very loud even on low gain from the THX. However, the bass response and transients seem muted or tamed relative to Jotunheim or Lyr 3.

The THX / AFC pair was actually pretty good for very quiet music like piano solos that benefit from a larger soundstage and a low noise floor.

The detail retrieval and sound stage are quite good with the THX / AFC pairing, but I found the overall signature a bit too sterile. There was something missing in the mid-bass and lower mids that caused me to keep increasing the volume, but that resulted in an brighter sounding result. The bright sound signature of this pairing was somewhat improved by using the iDSD micro BL as a pre-amp into the the THX to regain some warmth. However, I still far prefer the Jotunheim or Lyr 3.

I decided to give the Gillmore Lite Mk2 a try for a work setup and will report back when it arrives.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #5,064 of 5,483
I recently received the THX 789 AAA from Drop and have to say it's not my favorite pairing with the AFC or Ether Cx after a few days of testing.

The THX sounds very clean with dynamic headphones with good dynamics and bass response. It's actually very impressive what this amp can do for the MSR7 in terms of layering of the bass, increasing the soundstage, and making an already fast headphone sound even faster.

However with the AFC the dynamics are very compressed and the mids and mid-bass sound very thin with the overall sound signature leaning towards a fatiguing brightness. I was running the AFC off the "balanced" XLR output, and the power output didn't seem to be a problem. These headphones can get very loud even on low gain from the THX. However, the bass response and transients seem muted or tamed relative to Jotunheim or Lyr 3.

The THC / AFC pair was actually pretty good for very quiet music like piano solos that benefit from a larger soundstage and a low noise floor.

The detail retrieval and sound stage are quite good with the THX / AFC pairing, but I found the overall signature a bit too sterile. There was something missing in the mid-bass and lower mids that caused me to keep increasing the volume, but that resulted in an brighter sounding result. The bright sound signature of this pairing was somewhat improved by using the iDSD micro BL as a pre-amp into the the THX to regain some warmth. However, I still far prefer the Jotunheim or Lyr 3.

I decided to give the Gillmore Lite Mk2 a try for a work setup and will report back when it arrives.

That’s disappointing. I have a THX on order and was thinking it would be a good match for the highly detailed Aeons. Oh well. Hopefully it will be a good match for the Focal.

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #5,065 of 5,483
That’s disappointing. I have a THX on order and was thinking it would be a good match for the highly detailed Aeons. Oh well. Hopefully it will be a good match for the Focal.

I’m curious to see what you and others think of it on the Aeons. Maybe I’ll like it more with extended listening.

I’m very fond of the Schiit house sound which seems to have more warmth or something in the mids. Both the Lyr 3 and Jot just make the AFC more lively and engaging to me.

I don’t have much listening time with the elear but sounded very punchy so the THX might work well with it.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #5,066 of 5,483
Hello guys.

Is AFC suitable for on the go use, paired with a portable DAP (probably iBasso dx220) ?

Mu usage: I will be wearing my headphone connected to my DAP (which will stay in trenchcoat's pocket during walking) then I will carry them in my backpack.

Aug 25, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #5,067 of 5,483
Hello guys.

Is AFC suitable for on the go use, paired with a portable DAP (probably iBasso dx220) ?

Mu usage: I will be wearing my headphone connected to my DAP (which will stay in trenchcoat's pocket during walking) then I will carry them in my backpack.
The AFC has good synergy with the Chord Mojo, when seated at a desk, but the stock headphone cable is microphonic if it rubs on clothing when walking around, and that could be your biggest problem.
Other posters may have suggestions for alternative cables.

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #5,068 of 5,483
The AFC has good synergy with the Chord Mojo, when seated at a desk, but the stock headphone cable is microphonic if it rubs on clothing when walking around, and that could be your biggest problem.
Other posters may have suggestions for alternative cables.

I will probably use a custom 2.5 mm cable.

Aside from microphonic issue, is the AFC + DAP setup fine for on the go usage ? AFC doesn't fall from head when walking, right?

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #5,070 of 5,483
I’m curious to see what you and others think of it on the Aeons. Maybe I’ll like it more with extended listening.

I’m very fond of the Schiit house sound which seems to have more warmth or something in the mids. Both the Lyr 3 and Jot just make the AFC more lively and engaging to me.

I don’t have much listening time with the elear but sounded very punchy so the THX might work well with it.

I’ll Post an opinion when it arrives, but that won’t be for a while- Drop isn’t expecting to ship for months. I found the Lyr 3 and AFC to be a great match too. My Elex is not particularly demanding of amps, but it would benefit from a little more detail retrieval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back