AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #3,916 of 5,483
Yeah, I can’t help with the synergy solution, but hope you find what you’re looking for. Regarding 60-70% volume it seems like it would be far too loud for me. I am in the lowest red zone with the ETHER Flow - I don’t have the AEON but they both calculate to need about the same power to drive, mathematically. ‘Control’ of the driver... not going to touch that one as almost all decent amps have a good slew rate and the output impedance damping factor isn’t an issue with Hugo2’s 0.025 Ohms.

i see, i better learn more about amplifier before making any decisions, thank you again!

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #3,917 of 5,483
Thank you RELIC, i never could figure out the math by my self.
regarding sassy audition, sadly i contact the maker of sassy, they think there is nowhere near my location have sassy II OR sassy GT for audition.
i have tried mass-kobo 404, and didn't find it to be the improvement at all.
if power is not a concern for hugo2 and aeon, may be i need an amplifier that sound warmer and have more control power?
my other choice is WA8(use as amp)but for that kind of money i could get a desktop set...
aeon+hugo2 produce decent sound that i like a lot(espatially with classical and jazz), but in some post-rock track that i am very familiar with, i just felt part of the sound(bass section) is missing (somehow)
thats why i wonder if aeon is lack of power from hugo2 (also i have to turn up volume to about 60%~70% on hugo2 to get the proper sound pressure.

It is just the problem of the Aeon Closed.

Hence why I am waiting for a closed back headphone from Focal.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #3,918 of 5,483
It is just the problem of the Aeon Closed.

Hence why I am waiting for a closed back headphone from Focal.

hands down, i will love to see that happening.

for office people like me, good SQ with good isolation sometimes prevent a lot of suicidal thought from happening.:deadhorse:

BTW is there any portable amp that could make improvement on hugo2?
thanks

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #3,919 of 5,483
but in some post-rock track that i am very familiar with, i just felt part of the sound(bass section) is missing (somehow)
thats why i wonder if aeon is lack of power from hugo2 (also i have to turn up volume to about 60%~70% on hugo2 to get the proper sound pressure.
I have similar feeling sometimes, but I'm rolling some different tubes on my Schiit Lyr 2 looking for the best matching tubes.
Furthermore, I feel a better pressure and fullness with the Lyr 2 instead of the only Mojo.
The full setup is Chord Mojo + Schiit Lyr 2 + Aeon Flow Closed.

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #3,920 of 5,483
Furthermore, I feel a better pressure and fullness with the Lyr 2 instead of the only Mojo.

Curious, do you actually feel more air move? That means the Lyr volume is set louder and humans are wired to prefer louder music. To compare you need to volume match as accurately as possible.

Not saying the Lyr doesn’t sound better to you, but volume matching with a SPL meter (even a smartphone app is better than your ears) is important when comparing.

I never got in to tubes because I’m afraid I’d go broke playing with tubes and rolling them. :)

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #3,921 of 5,483
I did not mean I hear louder, but that in some way I feel a better sensation in difficult passages where the basses are the main focus. Maybe my english isn't too much accurate to explain this concept, and I'm talking about sensations, not objective data.
Moreover, Mojo by itself is capable of very high listening level, more over the confort threshold.

Tube rolling is a very engaging practice, I recommend it to you :beyersmile:

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #3,923 of 5,483
I am happy to have a Hugo 2. For myself no amp needed. Power is plentiful and clean and not edgy at all.

I do enjoy the AEON with the WyWires Platinum and the Kimber cables, I haven't heard a number of other silver or silver plate cables, but based on my small sample a) they open the soundstage and b) add resolution. I'm hesitant to recommend too many pure silver cables as some I have heard make the mods sound thinned out, so a copper silver hybrid or silver plate may be worth consideration...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #3,924 of 5,483
Focal have a few models of closed headphones.

Yes, but I really disliked their comfort. Also I’m waiting for something that is more in line with their Focal Utopia headphone rather than those models.

But I’m not complaining about the Aeon though since it’s only $799 and sounds pretty good for the price.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #3,925 of 5,483
hands down, i will love to see that happening.

for office people like me, good SQ with good isolation sometimes prevent a lot of suicidal thought from happening.:deadhorse:

BTW is there any portable amp that could make improvement on hugo2?
thanks

I highly doubt you need more power than the Hugo 2 since even the HD 800 S works fine from it.

I personally never found that adding an amplifier was the best solution imo. So I wouldn’t waste any money on that.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #3,926 of 5,483
I am happy to have a Hugo 2. For myself no amp needed. Power is plentiful and clean and not edgy at all.

I do enjoy the AEON with the WyWires Platinum and the Kimber cables, I haven't heard a number of other silver or silver plate cables, but based on my small sample a) they open the soundstage and b) add resolution. I'm hesitant to recommend too many pure silver cables as some I have heard make the mods sound thinned out, so a copper silver hybrid or silver plate may be worth consideration...

so i better get a new cable for aeon? and it would improve the SQ right?

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #3,927 of 5,483
I highly doubt you need more power than the Hugo 2 since even the HD 800 S works fine from it.

I personally never found that adding an amplifier was the best solution imo. So I wouldn’t waste any money on that.

i think you are right, i tried desktop amplifier hours ago (ifi pro ican ), and aeon sound pretty much the same(tube mode sound warmer).

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #3,930 of 5,483
I use the Wywires Platinum with my open Ether Flows and they sound phenomenal. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back