AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 6, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,821 of 5,483
I think pure copper will pair well with the Aeon, the hybrid would possibly be a tad bright but the differences are not huge. Their Claire HPC 8 wire is an incredible cable and would do wonders with the Aeon.
For me, I ordered the custom Cans cable for my AEon. I have another for my Elear. Sound great. Hence, I ordered a new one for AEon.

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,823 of 5,483
Best_Of_2017_Blue_Note_Award_large.jpg

AEON just won a Blue Note award from Enjoy the Music.

http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e...he_Music_Blue_Note_Awards_2017_MrSpeakers.htm

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,825 of 5,483
Hello!

I'd like to pair an Aeon with an Acoustic Research M2 (AR-M2). The AR-M2 is a DAP that integrates a powerful headphone amp, one that I hope would suffice for driving the Aeon effectively. Still, I won't know until I've tried them. Can anyone here comment on the performance between the two devices?

Many thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #2,827 of 5,483
Hi I recently bought a pair of aeon on canjam London this year and I am looking for an external dac/amp now to drive them to their full potential. I currently have an onkyo dp-X1 dap and an asus xonar u7 external sound card and I am looking for a portable dac that I can stack with my dap and/or use as a desktop dac.

Currently I am torn between the ifi iDSD black label and the Chord Hugo 2, I was wondering how much of a step down would the ifi be compared to the Hugo 2 since the price difference is huge.
First, I have never heard any of the Chord gear, so I cannot comment on what would be "better" between the Hugo and iDSD. Black Label I can tell you that I have been greatly enjoying my Aeon with my new BL.
I picked it up on sale just about a week ago. Some may say it needs "break in" ( doubt it, but some may disagree). It only has 25 hours on it max. Bottom line is that I was very happy with the sound when I first hooked it up and plugged in the Aeon. I am running it on the lowest gain setting from Foobar into the Aeon. I have not needed to run it any higher than 12 o' Clock on the volume knob... remember on the lowest gain setting. I played some jazz to begin with. I remember thinking... how do people think the Aeon lacks bass. The sound it quite open and detailed. I am surprised at how much I like it. It has now replaced the M9xx that I have been using for over a year for my office system.

I am sure the Hugo is a very nice piece of gear. From my perspective it would have to be a miracle of sound reproduction to be enough better than the BL to justify the cost difference. I like the BL with the Aeon that much.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #2,829 of 5,483
It is really quite nice as well. As mentioned I have been using it in my office for quite awhile. I really had no motivation to replace it as I have been really happy with it driving any of the closed back cans that I use at work. This has included the Aeon, PM-3, HP50 and AKG 553. It has a very smooth presentation quite in line with it's AKM DAC chip. It has plenty of power for anything that I have plugged into it. The BL just adds a bit of energy to the recipe, and it is a new toy. If I had not found it new for around $360, I would not have bought it. But that is just me, and the fact that I was that satisfied with the M9xx. Now, I only spent a very brief amount of time comparing the two units. I had brought it home because another member wanted to know how the HE-560 sounds with it. BTW, I like the 560 very well with the M9xx. Its signature is very nice with that headphone that, to me, can sound a bit thin. I have seen the M9xx for sale in the $300 to $350 range. At that price versus the BL at $550, I would grab an M9xx. With a deal like I got, then it becomes basically a toss up. The choice would then be down to an individual's signature preferences.

EDIT:
One thing that may be a consideration. Both DACs will do DSD 256. The BL natively, the M9xx took some playing around in Foobar to get it to do that. The BL will play DSD512 natively as well, for whatever that is worth.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2,830 of 5,483
Hi I recently bought a pair of aeon on canjam London this year and I am looking for an external dac/amp now to drive them to their full potential. I currently have an onkyo dp-X1 dap and an asus xonar u7 external sound card and I am looking for a portable dac that I can stack with my dap and/or use as a desktop dac.

Currently I am torn between the ifi iDSD black label and the Chord Hugo 2, I was wondering how much of a step down would the ifi be compared to the Hugo 2 since the price difference is huge.

I have been listening to the ifi micro iDSD BL with AEONs for a few days now. This combo sounds bloody brilliant! I had to send two (yes two) Hugo 2s back for replacement due to defects. While waiting for my second Hugo 2 replacement, I decided to jump on a micro iDSD BL deal...just to see. After a few days with the iDSD BL, I can tell you that unless you have the $$$ to burn, just get the iDSD BL. It is nearly perfect, especially for portable use. That being said, I haven't cancelled my Hugo 2 replacement order...yet. The iDSD BL sounds great, is functionally superior in nearly every way in comparison to the Hugo. It also happens to be defect free! However, there is something extra special about the Hugo 2, even though I've been frustrated with the quality issues found on the first two units I received. The magic isn't quite there with the iDSD BL. But I honestly don't think the Hugo 2 is the best bang for your buck. Every time I start listening to the iDSD BL and AEONs, I think I should just cancel my order for the Hugo 2. I also had the Mojo for a year and after spending only a few days with the iDSD BL, am mad at myself for not ditching the Mojo in favor of the iDSD BL sooner.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,831 of 5,483
It is really quite nice as well. As mentioned I have been using it in my office for quite awhile. I really had no motivation to replace it as I have been really happy with it driving any of the closed back cans that I use at work. This has included the Aeon, PM-3, HP50 and AKG 553. It has a very smooth presentation quite in line with it's AKM DAC chip. It has plenty of power for anything that I have plugged into it. The BL just adds a bit of energy to the recipe, and it is a new toy. If I had not found it new for around $360, I would not have bought it. But that is just me, and the fact that I was that satisfied with the M9xx. Now, I only spent a very brief amount of time comparing the two units. I had brought it home because another member wanted to know how the HE-560 sounds with it. BTW, I like the 560 very well with the M9xx. Its signature is very nice with that headphone that, to me, can sound a bit thin. I have seen the M9xx for sale in the $300 to $350 range. At that price versus the BL at $550, I would grab an M9xx. With a deal like I got, then it becomes basically a toss up. The choice would then be down to an individual's signature preferences.

EDIT:
One thing that may be a consideration. Both DACs will do DSD 256. The BL natively, the M9xx took some playing around in Foobar to get it to do that. The BL will play DSD512 natively as well, for whatever that is worth.

Hhaha, I just sold my 560s to fund the Aeons!!.... and justify buying some new open cans...Elear cough cough.

All I've ever had and have is a Schiit Stack Magni Modi 2u, and I'm trying to figure out if its worth an upgrade to something else. However I do plan to use the Aeons in the office so might actually need an office amp/dac as well.

Yea used M9XX seem to go for $350 which isn't too bad but $360 for a new BL? That's a killer deal

Sep 6, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,832 of 5,483
Hhaha, I just sold my 560s to fund the Aeons!!.... and justify buying some new open cans...Elear cough cough.

All I've ever had and have is a Schiit Stack Magni Modi 2u, and I'm trying to figure out if its worth an upgrade to something else. However I do plan to use the Aeons in the office so might actually need an office amp/dac as well.

Yea used M9XX seem to go for $350 which isn't too bad but $360 for a new BL? That's a killer deal
I had a modi 2 with the vali 2, didn't like them with the Aeons at all. I have the ifi BL and agree it's a wonderful pairing. I think they are also great with the Mimby and LD MK III. The MK III is on Massdrop right now if you want to save $100 off the Amazon price.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,833 of 5,483

It was one of those things that I just stumbled into...read it on one of the threads here. Went back the next day to verify for a friend, it was back to the full list price.
BTW, I really like the UI on the M9xx. The large volume knob, the .5 db steps and push to mute, the, the crossfeed (done very well, I like it better than that same feature on the BL), the size, of the unit.
All make it pretty much ideal for an office playback system. (IMHO)

Sep 6, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #2,834 of 5,483
I had a modi 2 with the vali 2, didn't like them with the Aeons at all. I have the ifi BL and agree it's a wonderful pairing. I think they are also great with the Mimby and LD MK III. The MK III is on Massdrop right now if you want to save $100 off the Amazon price.

I've found that the LD MKIII can't drive the Aeons very well; lots of distortion. What tubes are you using?

Everyone here is making it extremely difficult to decide between the Mojo and the iDSD BL. I've been on the fence for a couple weeks now.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,835 of 5,483
It was one of those things that I just stumbled into...read it on one of the threads here. Went back the next day to verify for a friend, it was back to the full list price.
BTW, I really like the UI on the M9xx. The large volume knob, the .5 db steps and push to mute, the, the crossfeed (done very well, I like it better than that same feature on the BL), the size, of the unit.
All make it pretty much ideal for an office playback system. (IMHO)

Thanks! Maybe I'll wait for another sale... or go used with the M9xx

Considered to Mojo as well as they're generall all around the same price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back