AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 1, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #2,791 of 5,483
I'd be interested in a comparison with the Eikon too since everyone hails it as the current best closed-back.
Not everyone. I prefer the Aeon, but I did like the Eikon a lot when I had a chance to listen to it. Eikon has a warmer sound so perhaps a more "musical" presentation than the Aeon, less isolation, less comfort, and heavier. More bass presence but not as tight and controlled as the Aeon. Price-to-performance, Aeon is clear winner.

Sep 1, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,792 of 5,483
I have an Atticus on the way; just ordered it so it will be few weeks before I receive it. It's the level up to my nightowl and will hopefully complement the Aeon even better.

I don't see either the Atticus nor Eikon as competative to the Aeon sound wise as they are tuned warmer and more "musical" while the Aeon is "reference-like."

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,793 of 5,483
Hi,

I owned a AEon and love it's sounding. Recently, I pair it with Hugo2. The sounding stage is increditable. The Hugo2 can turn AEon to next level. Happy listening and enjoy your AEon. Thanks Mr. Dan.
open
open
open

This is my buddy setup
open

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #2,794 of 5,483
Just got the AEONs last week and really like their sound.

I found they are power hungry, because out from my SP1000 they sound little thin, not a volume issue, just thin. However, when connected to my PHA3 in high gain mode, they sound fuller and with huge soundstage. Very balanced and coherent sound.

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,795 of 5,483
Just got the AEONs last week and really like their sound.

I found they are power hungry, because out from my SP1000 they sound little thin, not a volume issue, just thin. However, when connected to my PHA3 in high gain mode, they sound fuller and with huge soundstage. Very balanced and coherent sound.
I had a similar experience, I had to turn up the gain on my LD MK3 to medium for my Aeons to sound good. Huge improvement.

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,796 of 5,483
I think I'm going to buy the AQ Nightowl, Oppo PM-3 and the MrSpeakers Aeon, then return the two of them that I don't like as much. Does anyone else here run these predominately from a Macbook Pro and/or iPhone? Any recommendations on a portable dac/amp to pair with these that doesn't require a wall socket?

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #2,797 of 5,483
Hi,

I owned a AEon and love it's sounding. Recently, I pair it with Hugo2. The sounding stage is increditable. The Hugo2 can turn AEon to next level. Happy listening and enjoy your AEon. Thanks Mr. Dan.
open
open
open

This is my buddy setup
open
Aeon are very very sensitive to source, and a good one will improve the sound and I believe chord DAC are the best thing for Aeon because of the details and speed and may be an amp is an option to change the tone if someone like to change it a little bit.

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,798 of 5,483
I showed my AEON/Mojo to friends and relatives, and they are using bose/apple stuff.
But when they listen to this combo Mojo/Aeon,

They are speechless, there mind blown away out of this univers and some of them say this is better than the real thing.

many of them text me about it and they don't know what to do. it was so good to them but they can't believe they will buy something cost 1400$.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,799 of 5,483
I think I'm going to buy the AQ Nightowl, Oppo PM-3 and the MrSpeakers Aeon, then return the two of them that I don't like as much. Does anyone else here run these predominately from a Macbook Pro and/or iPhone? Any recommendations on a portable dac/amp to pair with these that doesn't require a wall socket?
I use a MacBook Pro with a Mojo and Aeon and it is terrific. I would love to compare the Chord Hugo 2 to the Mojo in this combination but haven't had the opportunity. Would like to hear from anyone who has.

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #2,800 of 5,483
I have the nightowl and Aeon.

Nightowl sounds great straight from iPhone and a cheap replacement cable is easy to find because the stock one is chunky. It's isn't completely isolating but unless you are really cranking it up no one around you will be bothered. I use this pair if I'm moving about in my house.

The Aeons are fantastic but need an amp to sound their best. The dragonfly red is the simplest, iPhone -> cck -> dfr -> Aeon. I'm am 3 clicks from max. For my ifi micro black label it's ifi -> USB cable -> cck -> iPhone but way bigger than dfr and the way the ports are laid out it's not easy to pocket. More transportable than portable. You'd probably want a new cable also as the stock one is a little long.

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,801 of 5,483
I have the nightowl and Aeon.

Nightowl sounds great straight from iPhone and a cheap replacement cable is easy to find because the stock one is chunky. It's isn't completely isolating but unless you are really cranking it up no one around you will be bothered. I use this pair if I'm moving about in my house.

The Aeons are fantastic but need an amp to sound their best. The dragonfly red is the simplest, iPhone -> cck -> dfr -> Aeon. I'm am 3 clicks from max. For my ifi micro black label it's ifi -> USB cable -> cck -> iPhone but way bigger than dfr and the way the ports are laid out it's not easy to pocket. More transportable than portable. You'd probably want a new cable also as the stock one is a little long.

Great to hear from someone that has used both. I'm definitely very interested in your comparisons between the two when it comes to isolation. Which is better at blocking out noise from around the listener? IE which would be better for blocking out the most sound from airplanes, people conversing etc?

I'm also planning on getting the Chord Mojo, I'm thinking this should be sufficient power for the Aeons? Either that or a nice DAP with inbuilt amplification.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2,802 of 5,483
Great to hear from someone that has used both. I'm definitely very interested in your comparisons between the two when it comes to isolation. Which is better at blocking out noise from around the listener? IE which would be better for blocking out the most sound from airplanes, people conversing etc?

I'm also planning on getting the Chord Mojo, I'm thinking this should be sufficient power for the Aeons? Either that or a nice DAP with inbuilt amplification.
The Aeon definitely isolates better. The mojo will work great. If you get that combo I think you'll be very happy.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,804 of 5,483
IMO, neither the Aeon nor any passive isolating cans are isolating enough for planes. It's worth it to get high isolation IEMs, ANC, or cIEMs to avoid playing things near or at ear-damaging volume in especially loud environments like that.
Never took my Æons flying, just a bit bigger than I want for my travel setup. I use the pricey InEar Prophile 8s IEMs, that fit very well and sound great. However, the Æons are t more convenient for the office, easier to respond if someone wants to talk with me.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,805 of 5,483
IMO, neither the Aeon nor any passive isolating cans are isolating enough for planes. It's worth it to get high isolation IEMs, ANC, or cIEMs to avoid playing things near or at ear-damaging volume in especially loud environments like that.

You're right, with noise coming in from outside you probably wouldn't notice a huge difference in sound between the Aeons and a crappy noise cancelling Sony or Bose anyway.

I might just have to get a pair of IEMs for the plane and use the Aeons for when I'm in the back of my van where noise isn't nearly as loud as a plane.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back