AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #2,807 of 5,483
Not everyone. I prefer the Aeon, but I did like the Eikon a lot when I had a chance to listen to it. Eikon has a warmer sound so perhaps a more "musical" presentation than the Aeon, less isolation, less comfort, and heavier. More bass presence but not as tight and controlled as the Aeon. Price-to-performance, Aeon is clear winner.
I've not compared the Eikon to Aeon but my Atticus is another level to the Aeon and it's not even close. Musicality, texture & Tone, Liquidity, smoothness, Impact, vocal body and emotion, micro detail. Atticus is a monster. It beats out all the Ethers too.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #2,808 of 5,483
I've not compared the Eikon to Aeon but my Atticus is another level to the Aeon and it's not even close. Musicality, texture & Tone, Liquidity, smoothness, Impact, vocal body and emotion, micro detail. Atticus is a monster. It beats out all the Ethers too.
We all have our own preferences, and there's no accounting for taste.

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,809 of 5,483
I think I'm going to buy the AQ Nightowl, Oppo PM-3 and the MrSpeakers Aeon, then return the two of them that I don't like as much. Does anyone else here run these predominately from a Macbook Pro and/or iPhone? Any recommendations on a portable dac/amp to pair with these that doesn't require a wall socket?

Matthew,

I have the PM-3 and the Aeon. I posted in this thread my comments about the two. End result I put my PM-3 in closet.

I also posted my in-flight experience with the Aeon and the WA8 earlier in this post in this thread

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,811 of 5,483
I've got an Atticus on the way to hopefully be an upgrade to my nightowl, which I bought to compliment my Aeon. What amp do you use to power your Atticus? I am researching tube amps but haven't come to a conclusion. Thanks!

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,812 of 5,483
I've got an Atticus on the way to hopefully be an upgrade to my nightowl, which I bought to compliment my Aeon. What amp do you use to power your Atticus? I am researching tube amps but haven't come to a conclusion. Thanks!
Recently I've been using my little Chord Mojo. Sounds fantastic with the Atticus. My Aeon hasn't gotten much use since getting my Atticus. Phenomenal headphone.

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,813 of 5,483
I can recommend Mojo and Aeon combo, it's great. I think most will be happy with that. Mojo has enough power to spare for driving Aeon.

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #2,814 of 5,483
I truly believe the Atticus is a BIG upgrade to the nightowl.
Definitely next on my wishlist :wink:
And I agree - it is a complement to the AEON. Not a replacement (at least not for me...)

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #2,815 of 5,483
I agree. I also find it an upgrade to the Z1R. Putting my Aeon up for sale, can't touch Atticus.

I liked the Nightowl but couldn't get past that narrow sound.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #2,817 of 5,483
Hi I recently bought a pair of aeon on canjam London this year and I am looking for an external dac/amp now to drive them to their full potential. I currently have an onkyo dp-X1 dap and an asus xonar u7 external sound card and I am looking for a portable dac that I can stack with my dap and/or use as a desktop dac.

Currently I am torn between the ifi iDSD black label and the Chord Hugo 2, I was wondering how much of a step down would the ifi be compared to the Hugo 2 since the price difference is huge.

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2,818 of 5,483
Hi I recently bought a pair of aeon on canjam London this year and I am looking for an external dac/amp now to drive them to their full potential. I currently have an onkyo dp-X1 dap and an asus xonar u7 external sound card and I am looking for a portable dac that I can stack with my dap and/or use as a desktop dac.

Currently I am torn between the ifi iDSD black label and the Chord Hugo 2, I was wondering how much of a step down would the ifi be compared to the Hugo 2 since the price difference is huge.

From my POV, if the audible difference in sound quality by buying an HP upgrade is 100%, then the audible difference in sound quality when you do DAC/AMP upgrade is like 5%, max 10%. I think it would be close to 5% in this case. ifi iDSD is rather good from I have read. BTW, you can consider Mojo too.

Sep 6, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,819 of 5,483
I plan to order custom cable from Forza AudioWorks. Should I go with pure copper or something else?

I think pure copper will pair well with the Aeon, the hybrid would possibly be a tad bright but the differences are not huge. Their Claire HPC 8 wire is an incredible cable and would do wonders with the Aeon.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,820 of 5,483

As a owner of mojo and Hugo 2, I highly recommend the Hugo 2 if the price is not the issue. Hugo 2 has a mojo filter mode, so you actually can have the mojo-like sounding if you really addictive to its sound. I also connect Hugo 2 to Jotunheim with RCA. I can utilize my balanced headphones collection. (I also have Elear, 650, 400i). All of them are sound much better than using mojo + Jotunheim.

I pair my AEon with Hugo 2 as a desktop solution. I am using the foobar2000 and usb output to Hugo 2 with DoP mode. After I install the DSDTranscoder 1.0.10, I can play DSD 256 without any sound issues. Great sound. Make the AEon sing.

Just my 2 cent.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back