AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 6, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,851 of 5,483
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of a transportable case for the AEONs? I have tried the official hard case, but it requires me to detach the cables and reattach every time. It also does not have some sort of ring which I can use to hook it to a carabiner to my bag.

For context, I can currently travelling with it in this way now:

Which is obviously not a good thing - it will probably damage the metal headband and cables on the long run, and also very prone to bumps.

Any suggestions of a case where I can put the headphones and cable in, then hook the case to my bag using a carabiner?

Thanks!
They fit in the large hippo case I got from Jaben.
20170906_201527_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #2,853 of 5,483
I've found that the LD MKIII can't drive the Aeons very well; lots of distortion. What tubes are you using?

Everyone here is making it extremely difficult to decide between the Mojo and the iDSD BL. I've been on the fence for a couple weeks now.
i haven;t had the mojo, but this is just from shopping and when I was on the fence between them: there are some NON audio considerations that are obvious:
  • BL has 1/4" output vs Mojo which has regular 1/8" (1/8" is what most headphoens use etc).
    • I actually WANTED a 1/4" since all my headphones had a 1/4" ending, which is ultimately why i chose BL over Mojo personally. However, most people would prbly feel the exact opposite and choose Mojo because of this very reason.
  • Mojo is a lot smaller, and thus more portable, but BL has that "battery" if you care about that kinda stuff. THE BL is MASSIVE. and not "portable" at all. I mean you could prbly carry in a bag, or a decent sized purse if you use one. But not in like your pocket.
  • BL has regualr sized coaxial, which IIRC mojo does not. BUT, mojo has optical and mini coax.
    • side note: iirc it is NOT possible to CHARGE the BL via a computer WHILST playing via the coaxial, since the datainput usb is the same as the one used for charging. If that's a thing you wanna do. The mojo has a seperate charging port which is nice
    • There's also smthg to be said about "clean signal", if you believe in that or you think that it'd make a difference. There's a SMALL chance that sharing power and signal over the same port would lead to potentially dirtier signals. While the Mojo has a seperate charging port.
  • Mojo just uses micro USB for input, while the BL uses has a MALE USB port (usb A, or regular USB), which is ODD as most every other device in teh world has a FEMALE port on it. So you need that special cable.
    • I haven't tested this but this might cause some differences in how well one or the other works with iphones etc.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,854 of 5,483
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of a transportable case for the AEONs? I have tried the official hard case, but it requires me to detach the cables and reattach every time. It also does not have some sort of ring which I can use to hook it to a carabiner to my bag.

For context, I can currently travelling with it in this way now:

Which is obviously not a good thing - it will probably damage the metal headband and cables on the long run, and also very prone to bumps.

Any suggestions of a case where I can put the headphones and cable in, then hook the case to my bag using a carabiner?

Thanks!

I would purchase an entire new case from Mr. Speakers if it had a loop.

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #2,855 of 5,483
Those connectors are real easy to connect and disconnect... 5 seconds per...maybe. I just remove them and put the headphones and cables in the stock case. It is a bit bulky for a backpack,,, but I think a better alternative to what you are doing ... Anything that will fit them with the cables attached will take up even more space.

There is a sort of flat place in the middle of the hinge side of the stock case. You could poke a couple of holes in that area and put a loop on it. Then use a carabineer to attach to your pack.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,856 of 5,483
i haven;t had the mojo, but this is just from shopping and when I was on the fence between them: there are some NON audio considerations that are obvious:
  • BL has 1/4" output vs Mojo which has regular 1/8" (1/8" is what most headphoens use etc).
    • I actually WANTED a 1/4" since all my headphones had a 1/4" ending, which is ultimately why i chose BL over Mojo personally. However, most people would prbly feel the exact opposite and choose Mojo because of this very reason.
  • Mojo is a lot smaller, and thus more portable, but BL has that "battery" if you care about that kinda stuff. THE BL is MASSIVE. and not "portable" at all. I mean you could prbly carry in a bag, or a decent sized purse if you use one. But not in like your pocket.
  • BL has regualr sized coaxial, which IIRC mojo does not. BUT, mojo has optical and mini coax.
    • side note: iirc it is NOT possible to CHARGE the BL via a computer WHILST playing via the coaxial, since the datainput usb is the same as the one used for charging. If that's a thing you wanna do. The mojo has a seperate charging port which is nice
    • There's also smthg to be said about "clean signal", if you believe in that or you think that it'd make a difference. There's a SMALL chance that sharing power and signal over the same port would lead to potentially dirtier signals. While the Mojo has a seperate charging port.
  • Mojo just uses micro USB for input, while the BL uses has a MALE USB port (usb A, or regular USB), which is ODD as most every other device in teh world has a FEMALE port on it. So you need that special cable.
    • I haven't tested this but this might cause some differences in how well one or the other works with iphones etc.
The iDSD can be charged while outputting over coax.. BUT one needs a power supply or battery... like the ubiquitous battery packs for charging phones etc.
I bought several USB extension cables from Amazon, in lengths from 1 foot to 10 feet. I think I spent $30. Any of those work fine. They claim they made to connector in that configuration to allow the Apple camera connection kit to fit directly... ?? Not all that great for non-Apple users, but I guess I get it. Though the female to male cables were the only ones that I did not have several of each of laying around. The do supply one of them and an adapter to micro USB female in the package.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,860 of 5,483
Just for Schiits and giggles I just got a Schiit Fulla 2 do try out with the Aeon as the built in sound on my desktop was not cutting it, so far its doing pretty well. Good bass, very quiet noise floor, good detail. Will give it some time to burn in and se if it changes any.

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2,862 of 5,483
Not with the Aeon, I have heard them but its been too long to comment really,
I have the magni/modi originals...on a shelf collecting dust....magni is too bright for me (tried it with HD800 and 650, and Grado 325i/500/GH1G now that was painful), modi needed help, hence the 2 and uber...

On some albums I am hearing some distortion with the Fulla 2, like a scratching sound ...hhmm...it reminds me of an issue I had with a scratchy volume pot...
Just switched to my Grado GH1G and the scratching is gone. Must be the Aeons?? Might need to test those track on the LAu and see if the Aeon scratch with it.
I've been mostly using the Lau balanced so maybe its just SE??? we will see in a bit when the LAu warms up.

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #2,863 of 5,483
IMG_20170907_022823.jpg
Bought the aeon flow using it with the mojo a definite upgrade from the m50x pm3 and bose qc35

Still comparing with ether c flow

Would like to find a solution to a simple problem @mrspeakers

When i got the headphone the R (rt) & L (lt) on the leather band were in reverse i.e i had to wear the headphone in reverse to to get the the correct position

I thought it might be slight error by the manufacturers & went on to put the red tape on the left to get the right fit

After a few weeks i decided to try the normal way and put the red tape on the right and reversed the headphone gymbal facing forward , noticed that the sound was a lil better than the initial week that bass had more depth and the not sure if this due to any other reason
Thought it mayb due to the burn in
Checked again with the prevu mentioned config & still got da same result that reverse position sounded better

So i was curious to find out whether my aeon flow had mix up bye the right & left speaker or if it was the band position interchange

I tested it out with the samsung galaxy s8 which has sound personlise feature wich adapts sound according to hearing ability of an individual

I tested with aeons and the result it showed was conclusive enough to prove that my right and left speakers have been interchanged

To get the correct balance I have to put red tape on the right side of the speaker and then put that speaker on my left ear for the true sound experience

I still need to do some listening to feel reassured abt the sound qlty

I would like to know is there more I could do abt this situation @mrspeakers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back