AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 30, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,776 of 5,483
@Lelouch

Pads are permanent, no changing them.

The pads can be changed. They are just glued to the cups by some sore of adhesive. It's easy to take them off. However, it's difficult to find a replacement and only MrSpeakers has them at the moment and you probably don't want to take it off unless you have the replacement available.

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #2,777 of 5,483
Okay, so i went to the shop for 1h A/B listening between nightowl and aeon.
This time i could understand very quickly their differences.
Nightowl has more bass presence than Aeon, but maybe too much for me, the presentation felt a bit small and vocals were kind of veiled, a strange feeling. Plus when a female vocalist get on s sound, it was a bit painful to listen. Otherwise, the soundstage is detailed, but not as accurate as the Aeon.
Aeon maybe lacks few bass, maybe it is the 2dB reduction on low bass but their quality is there. A bass just in between both headphones would have been perfect for me but i'm not a basshead, aeon soft and precise bass is enough to make me happy.
What impressed me again in the Aeon is his detail of clarity, the pure vocals, his imaging, separating instruments so well. A balance close to perfect. The treble is extended just enough, the bass doesn't swallow mid range, it is a pleasure to listen. I heard some details in few songs i never did before, off vocals, guitar strum feel so natural. This is the way i love music : Natural sound with great presentation, detail and spectrum balance.

I tried the Oppo PM3 in a last attempt to have no regrets but it was quick of a match. I felt the PM3 more compressed, not retreiving the level of detail of the Aeon nor the great separation of instruments.
I bought the Aeon without a regret :)
I already like their sound, waiting to see to what extent they can evolve.
I wish it had a bit more bass but the mid is so wonderful that i fall in love with my favorite vocalists again :)

Thank you Dan, you made one more very happy guy :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #2,778 of 5,483
Okay, so i went to the shop for 1h A/B listening between nightowl and aeon.
This time i could understand very quickly their differences.
Nightowl has more bass presence than Aeon, but maybe too much for me, the presentation felt a bit small and vocals were kind of veiled, a strange feeling. Plus when a female vocalist get on s sound, it was a bit painful to listen. Otherwise, the soundstage is detailed, but not as accurate as the Aeon.
Aeon maybe lacks few bass, maybe it is the 2dB reduction on low bass but their quality is there. A bass just in between both headphones would have been perfect for me but i'm not a basshead, aeon soft and precise bass is enough to make me happy.
What impressed me again in the Aeon is his detail of clarity, the pure vocals, his imaging, separating instruments so well. A balance close to perfect. The treble is extended just enough, the bass doesn't swallow mid range, it is a pleasure to listen. I heard some details in few songs i never did before, off vocals, guitar strum feel so natural. This is the way i love music : Natural sound with great presentation, detail and spectrum balance.

I tried the Oppo PM3 in a last attempt to have no regrets but it was quick of a match. I felt the PM3 more compressed, not retreiving the level of detail of the Aeon nor the great separation of instruments.
I bought the Aeon without a regret :)
I already like their sound, waiting to see to what extent they can evolve.
I wish it had a bit more bass but the mid is so wonderful that i fall in love with my favorite vocalists again :)

Thank you Dan, you made one more very happy guy :)

Congrats!!!

I am a big fan of Paul Hardcastle/Jazzmasters and to "me" my Aeon (Flows) plays his sound perfectly. Its all about what you hear. Enjoy!

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,779 of 5,483

First, congrats! You made the right choice (in my opinion).
As for a little extra bass - did you try the foam inserts? I believe they should be included in your box, and they do add some bass!!! That should turn the AEONs from great to perfect for people like you (and me) who like a little bit more bass :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,780 of 5,483
First, congrats! You made the right choice (in my opinion).
As for a little extra bass - did you try the foam inserts? I believe they should be included in your box, and they do add some bass!!! That should turn the AEONs from great to perfect for people like you (and me) who like a little bit more bass :)
Thank you! I'm trying them right now and it's completely different! The bass is there :D
Need to compare the two configs to see what matches the best to my tastes. Great idea to make our own experience customizable with just a foam pad!

Edit: I feel like the headphone lose a bit of resolution and soundstage when using the foam, maybe better without the foam but if i want some bass it's good to know ican do it in 10 seconds :)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #2,781 of 5,483
Thank you! I'm trying them right now and it's completely different! The bass is there :D
Need to compare the two configs to see what matches the best to my tastes. Great idea to make our own experience customizable with just a foam pad!

Edit: I feel like the headphone lose a bit of resolution and soundstage when using the foam, maybe better without the foam but if i want some bass it's good to know ican do it in 10 seconds :)

Another obvious option is to boost bass through EQ in your source (DAP / PC software)...
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new toy :wink:

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,782 of 5,483

Congratulations Letouch, enjoy!

I use mine with the foam inserts and am generally very happy using them this way. Perhaps I should explore using them without more often. I will surely experiment when my Forza cable arrives :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #2,783 of 5,483
Hey looking for advice. I received replacement pair a couple weeks back. Probably have about 50 hrs on them. I'm not great at describing what I'm hearing but I know it doesn't sound right. I noticed tonight that there is scratchy, muffled sound. It's sort of shrill sounding, like a rattle. My first pair definitely did not have this. First noticed on a Jeff Buckey song where he hits a certain note and his voice sounds terribly shrill. I thought initially that it was the recording so I put my nighthawks on and there was no issue. Then I tested a bunch of electronic tunes with a bit of bass slam next and same sort of muffled scratchy sound. Gone with the nighthawks. It's unlistenable on the aeons. Anyway, like I said, I didn't notice this on my first pair, but I may have had more hours on the first pair before I started listening. Anyone else experience this within the first 50 hrs of listening? I tested with two different cables. Same issues. Is there anything that would account for this?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #2,784 of 5,483
Hey looking for advice. I received replacement pair a couple weeks back. Probably have about 50 hrs on them. I'm not great at describing what I'm hearing but I know it doesn't sound right. I noticed tonight that there is scratchy, muffled sound. It's sort of shrill sounding, like a rattle. My first pair definitely did not have this. First noticed on a Jeff Buckey song where he hits a certain note and his voice sounds terribly shrill. I thought initially that it was the recording so I put my nighthawks on and there was no issue. Then I tested a bunch of electronic tunes with a bit of bass slam next and same sort of muffled scratchy sound. Gone with the nighthawks. It's unlistenable on the aeons. Anyway, like I said, I didn't notice this on my first pair, but I may have had more hours on the first pair before I started listening. Anyone else experience this within the first 50 hrs of listening? I tested with two different cables. Same issues. Is there anything that would account for this?

1st time I received a new pair. It was very hard to drive the Aeon. This was in the first week or at least 50 hrs. Sounds grainy and like distortion.
Drive it with CDM high gain and max volume, no good .
Cv5 high gain and close to max, no good.
Studio Six 6 about 3/4 of volume, no good dynamic at all.
Slowly burnin for another 2 more weeks then Aeon can really sing. Dynamic is very good. Soundstage is wide. Image and separation are top notch. Clarity is somewhat ok for me, no way near Utopia level.
Talked to Dan at Burlingame phone meet, and he was kind described a voltage swing graph to me where it was a long day and I just nodded my head .
My guess is U have to burn another 2 to 3 more weeks and see.
Hope this help.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,786 of 5,483
I am not sure, but based on my experience, this is not something that any amount of burn-in will fix. Mine did improve over the first 100 hours or so, but the change was not one of night and day. When I first put them on my head, I immediately knew I had made a good purchase. It just got better from there.
I would contact Mr. Speakers and ask the question.
My sympathy at having had to possibly go through the replacement process twice, but from your description, I just don't think that any amount of play time is going to fix the issue.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #2,787 of 5,483

I'm in/was in a bit if the same situation. My replacement is also about 50 hours in. And there is a harshness I don't remember hearing in songs before with the last pair. I was pretty put off so I stopped listening to them for a week. I just got back to listening to them yesterday (shrillness still there) and I remembered I used to have the headband much lower, so the headphone would sit higher on my head on my first pair (i had the second pair sit much lower on my head). So I went back to setting of the lower headband and... I don't hear the shrillness anymore. I'll have to do a bit more listening but this might've fixed my issue. I also remember Tyll at innerfidelity saying something similar, that when he lowered the headphone placement on his head, it reduced some 5k peak for him.(kind of the opposite placement of what I said but I'll chalk that up to different ear shape effects).

So the question is, are you placing the headphones differently on your head from what you did with your first pair? If so (or if not), try moving the AEONs higher or lower and see if there's a difference.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,789 of 5,483
I'm in/was in a bit if the same situation. My replacement is also about 50 hours in. And there is a harshness I don't remember hearing in songs before with the last pair. I was pretty put off so I stopped listening to them for a week. I just got back to listening to them yesterday (shrillness still there) and I remembered I used to have the headband much lower, so the headphone would sit higher on my head, on my first pair (i had the second pair sit much lower on my head). So I went back to setting of the lower headband and... I don't hear the shrillness anymore. I'll have to do a bit more listening but this might've fixed my issue, I remember Tyll at innerfidelity said something similar, that when he lowered the headphone placement it reduced some 5k peak for him.(kind of the opposite placement of what I said but I'll chalk that up to different ear shape effects).

So the question is, are you placing the headphones differently on your way from what you did with your first pair? If so (or if not) try moving the AEONs higher or lower and see if there's a difference.

I searched around for suggestions before posting here, which is why I tried to burn in a bit longer and I tried placing the headphones differently. Still getting distortion unfortunately. It isn't isolated to high or low frequency either, I'm hearing it all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back