AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 27, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,747 of 5,483
If you are going that high, why not just get a Ether flow and sell the Aeon? I notice that neither of them takes much to drive(which is great), and I heard Ether Flow driven out of portable player was impressed. Get the part of the gear that matters most.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #2,748 of 5,483
If you are going that high, why not just get a Ether flow and sell the Aeon? I notice that neither of them takes much to drive(which is great), and I heard Ether Flow driven out of portable player was impressed. Get the part of the gear that matters most.
Hmm, I wanted some closed-back planars. Perhaps I need to increase my budget. Oh credit cards, you are going to ruin me. :p

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,749 of 5,483
Sorry, my intentions isn't to tempt you, but just seems like more reasonable direction. No need to fall that in that deep if it seems redonculous. LOL. I heard the Aeons are great closed back performer in the price point.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,750 of 5,483
Sorry, my intentions isn't to tempt you, but just seems like more reasonable direction. No need to fall that in that deep if it seems redonculous. LOL. I heard the Aeons are great closed back performer in the price point.
Haha, I misread your previous response to mean I need either a more expensive amp or switch to more expensive headphones, I'll probably stick with the Aeons for now. The more I learn the harder it is to make a decision. Reminds me of collecting fountain pens, fortunately I'm finally happy with that collection so now I can waste all my money on audio. :)

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #2,751 of 5,483
Within your budget is the Mjolnir2 and the Lyr2. These are great with the Aeon, actually with all my headphones.
The feed is coming from a GungnirMB.
Not familiar with the Modi. I do have a Vali2 and it's fine with the Aeon, no issues for me.
Could be the Modi or maybe the tubes you're using with the Vali2?

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,752 of 5,483
On the subject of pairings. I have really been enjoying listening to the Aeon with the Burson CV2+. The Burson gear always gets great reviews on the depth and clarity of the bass and sub-bass. This plays well with the Aeon. Perhaps this is why I have never found them to be bass shy. The ESS implementation is quite good and exhibits none of the ESS glare that some talk about, but does give that clarity and a bit of sparkle that I like. The sound field is quite impressive with the pairing. Much better than I would have expected from a closed headphone.
I listen without the foam, BTW.
Discussion of the newest Burson gear as well as reviews are not as plentiful as with their older gear. I am not sure why, at one point the Burson gear was one of the darlings at Head-Fi as well as in the headphone audio press. In an y case, if anyone gets the opportunity to listen to the CV2+ with the Aeon, I would definitely recommend taking a good listen.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,753 of 5,483
rnros, do you have first hand experience with Aeons driven out of those amps? The Aeon is on the lean side(it has it's characteristic, trying to change a headphone with an amp is not so drastic, particularly efficient ones), and possibly a tube amp can give it some body, but he'd have to try them out which sounds the best to him. Probably a meet would help to try out several amps. Or if there is a shop near that carries many amps which I doubt.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,754 of 5,483
rnros, do you have first hand experience with Aeons driven out of those amps? The Aeon is on the lean side(it has it's characteristic, trying to change a headphone with an amp is not so drastic), and possibly a tube amp can give it some body, but he'd have to try them out which sounds the best to him. Probably a meet would help to try out several amps. Or if there is a shop near that carries many amps which I doubt.

Yes, check my profile. I've had the Aeon since May.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,755 of 5,483
Within your budget is the Mjolnir2 and the Lyr2. These are great with the Aeon, actually with all my headphones.
The feed is coming from a GungnirMB.
Not familiar with the Modi. I do have a Vali2 and it's fine with the Aeon, no issues for me.
Could be the Modi or maybe the tubes you're using with the Vali2?
Part of this could be transitioning from how laid back the AKG-K7XX headphones are. The more I listen to the Aeons the more I'm liking them (my head needs burn-in apparently). For the tubes I tried stock and Genelex E88CC.

Still, not hearing as dramatic of an improvement over my Senn PXC 550's (bluetooth paired with my iPhone) as I hoped. Perhaps better gear will fix it or perhaps I'm already experiencing diminishing returns. Either way I will continue to experiment.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and feedback.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2,756 of 5,483
Part of this could be transitioning from how laid back the AKG-K7XX headphones are. The more I listen to the Aeons the more I'm liking them (my head needs burn-in apparently). For the tubes I tried stock and Genelex E88CC.

Still, not hearing as dramatic of an improvement over my Senn PXC 550's (bluetooth paired with my iPhone) as I hoped. Perhaps better gear will fix it or perhaps I'm already experiencing diminishing returns. Either way I will continue to experiment.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and feedback.

For me the Aeons did not hit full stride until about 80 hours.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,758 of 5,483
Thanks for the suggestions! I should have mentioned, I'm trying to stay under $1000 if possible. Still the Woo looks like an impressive portable dac/amp.
For under $1000 - I think the iDSD BL is hard to beat!
I do own it as well (bought during one of the recurring sales for $400), and despite not being as amazing the the $1800 WA8, they're still pretty awesome IMO! Definitely for the price!!
Actually, it is now available for even cheaper at $378 - see:
https://www.adorama.com/ifmicridsdb...t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905
(stole the link shamelessly from slickdeals :wink:)

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,759 of 5,483
I can also recommend the Black Label.

The Aeon does require burn in and brain burn in. Initially putting it on you might not be super impressed but give it a little time and you like it more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back