AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 25, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,732 of 5,483
BTW How do these compare to the LCD 2?

The AEON is significantly lighter, in terms of physical weight. In terms of sound the LCD is warmer, with more emphasis in the mid bass area and slightly rolled off in the treble region. The AEON is definitely the more neutral of the two. I think they are subjectively of similar sound quality, both have a natural sound signature to my ears.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #2,733 of 5,483
BTW How do these compare to the LCD 2?
The LCD-2 may have a strong kick and thump on the bass but it has more recessed upper mids and treble. Which is why most people find way too dark and thick.

The aeon while mostly neutral has that meaty sub bass kick and just enough thickness compared to most neutral-ish headphone. I like my MSR7 for it's neutral-ish nothing is too forward or recessed. But missing that sub bass which the aeons have.

So it would definitely depends on your preference. For me it's aeon over LCD-2. I even prefer the aeons than the ethers.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2,734 of 5,483
I agrre the LCD-2 (current version) is too far towards the dark and thick end of the spectrum for my tastes. I much prefer the sound of the Aeon. But, of course, we all prefer different flavors...

Aug 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #2,735 of 5,483
I JUST had a customer in the store now and I showed him the Aeon (he wanted a closed back in particular). Before I handed it to him I showed him how bendable the metal is and how it controls its shape. I feel like the NiTinol used is really under rated when people talk about the Mr Speakers brand, let alone the Aeon using it.

This just came to mind when I looked at @cubed4life showing ALL the features it has.

NiTiNOL is awesome and using it for the headband was a great choice. My company uses it to fuse ankles: http://www.medshape.com/our-products/dynanail.html

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #2,736 of 5,483
The LCD-2 may have a strong kick and thump on the bass but it has more recessed upper mids and treble. Which is why most people find way too dark and thick.

The aeon while mostly neutral has that meaty sub bass kick and just enough thickness compared to most neutral-ish headphone. I like my MSR7 for it's neutral-ish nothing is too forward or recessed. But missing that sub bass which the aeons have.

So it would definitely depends on your preference. For me it's aeon over LCD-2. I even prefer the aeons than the ethers.
I much prefer ether(flow) compared to the Aeons. Aeons is a level down for sure. Aeon is on the brigher side and a bit thin(not enough warmth IMO). Great technical achievement for a closed back. Very clear sounding headphones. Just that I find that the tonality is lower treble emphasized and not as balanced like I prefer. Not meaty enough mids.

LCD2 and Aeon are differ in lower treble region at least. LCD2 is dark sounding if comparing to Aeon.

If you compare with ether(flow), either flow is more resolving, and better defintion and tonality. I think ether is the best I've heard yet. It's a fantastic headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #2,740 of 5,483
Well to me Ether C Flow sounds thinner than Aeon
Opposite for me, own both. Æon is lovely, perfect for the office, but with my main headphone rig (Holo Spring KTE 3>Neurochrome HP-1), Ether C Flow is more substantial (mainly jazz and classical).

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,744 of 5,483
I'm interested in dac/amp recommendations for the Aeons. I have the Modi2/Vali2 but find them too harsh with a small sound stage.
I'm using the ifi iDSD black label and have been perfectly happy. The bass boost is well done and adds a bit of meat to the aeons in the bottom end and has all the power you need. Being portable is icing on the cake.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,745 of 5,483
I'm interested in dac/amp recommendations for the Aeons. I have the Modi2/Vali2 but find them too harsh with a small sound stage.
As recommended earlier by me, Woo Audio WA8. A little pricey at $1800, but absolutely a match made in heaven!
Sound is warm, but not too warm. Has tube qualities, but still very detailed. For my tastes - it is the best pairing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back