AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 27, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2,761 of 5,483
I'm rocking the Black Label with the Aeons as well. It's a wonderful combo, especially with the option for bass boost. I would highly recommend it.

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,763 of 5,483
Im using the black label and the cavalli liquid carbon v2 for the aeons right now. Theres something about the percieved soundstage depth given by the liquid carbon that keeps me coming back to it. Currently only being used single ended but i cant wait for my new balanced cables from impact audio to arrive tomorrow!

The black label performs well especially for something transportable but to my ears the liquid carbon is on an entirely different level.

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,768 of 5,483
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a closed-back portable headphone around 500 $ to use at home, at work and in the train and went for a listening session on Monday. I really liked Oppo PM-3, Shure SRH1540, Meze 99C and Sony Z7.
In between, I asked for some advice on the Sony Z7 thread and i heard of the Aeon and of the Nightowl.
Today I went for a new listening session to try the under 500$ cans list when I found an Aeon in the shop.
I tried it with my Fiio X5-III playing Adele's Hello.
I can't describe my feelings during this listening. I was smiling so much, alone, like a crazy man. I felt like I found a connexion between these phones and my soul. The clarity, pureness, natural sound that I experienced blew my mind.
I am subjugued.

Just to put the context back, I love vocals more than everything, beautiful mids with balanced treble and bass. I love detailed presentation where I can pinpoint every instrument in a decent soundstage. My favorite genres are wide but mainly pop, acoustic, classic, ballads, rock, jazz, electro.
I use ATH IM02 IEMs for their vocal pureness and clarity as well as the just enough extended treble.

I can't think about anything but Aeon. Stil l, I had to try the Nightowl in respect of how well he was reviewed online.
I try the Nightowl and feels something different than the Aeon, I couldn't listen for long but I felt the Aeon presentation felt so natural compared to the Nightowl yet I felt more details or maybe presence into trebles with the Nightowl. I enjoyed this a lot and that made me reconsider my choice.
Every cheaper phone that I was considering to buy became tasteless...
Go to hell with the 500$ budget, I need one of them.
I need to make a choice for tomorrow as they have a discount campaign until tomorrow.
Could you experienced audiophiles explain to me what I felt in your experience and in a rational way so that I can make the best listening tomorrow to make the good choice? Especially people which experienced both headphones would be so helpful!

Just for information, the Nightowl is 750$ while Aeon is 900$ (Japan import is a bit more expensive), the 150$ difference also make me wondering.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #2,769 of 5,483
I can't describe my feelings during this listening. I was smiling so much, alone, like a crazy man. I felt like I found a connexion between these phones and my soul. The clarity, pureness, natural sound that I experienced blew my mind.

I think your choice should be easy and clear to you... Does not matter what "expert audiophiles" think / explain. Only thing that matters is how the headphones sound to YOU, and whether you liked it or not :wink:

Personally, BTW, I own the AEONs, and did not like the NightOwl.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #2,770 of 5,483
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a closed-back portable headphone around 500 $ to use at home, at work and in the train and went for a listening session on Monday. I really liked Oppo PM-3, Shure SRH1540, Meze 99C and Sony Z7.
In between, I asked for some advice on the Sony Z7 thread and i heard of the Aeon and of the Nightowl.
Today I went for a new listening session to try the under 500$ cans list when I found an Aeon in the shop.
I am subjugued.

Just to put the context back, I love vocals more than everything, beautiful mids with balanced treble and bass. I love detailed presentation where I can pinpoint every instrument in a decent soundstage. My favorite genres are wide but mainly pop, acoustic, classic, ballads, rock, jazz, electro.
I use ATH IM02 IEMs for their vocal pureness and clarity as well as the just enough extended treble.

I can't think about anything but Aeon. Stil l, I had to try the Nightowl in respect of how well he was reviewed online.
I try the Nightowl and feels something different than the Aeon, I couldn't listen for long but I felt the Aeon presentation felt so natural compared to the Nightowl yet I felt more details or maybe presence into trebles with the Nightowl. I enjoyed this a lot and that made me reconsider my choice.
I need to make a choice for tomorrow as they have a discount campaign until tomorrow.
Could you experienced audiophiles explain to me what I felt in your experience and in a rational way so that I can make the best listening tomorrow to make the good choice? Especially people which experienced both headphones would be so helpful!

Just for information, the Nightowl is 750$ while Aeon is 900$ (Japan import is a bit more expensive), the 150$ difference also make me wondering.

Thank you very much!
As Zachik says, I think you've answered your own question! That feeling of being connected to the music in such a profound way is what matters. I also have the Aeon (and Fiio X5 3rd gen) and have no desire for any other closed back headphone :)

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,771 of 5,483
@Lelouch

As others have said, you pretty much answered your own question. I'll comment on the technicalities of the Nightowl and Aeon as I own both and can understand your dilema.

The Nightowl is closed yet still leaks a little sound. It can be driven from almost anything (I use my iPhone 6s+ more than anything) which makes it more portable. Aftermarket cables are much easier and cheaper to purchase which I recommend because the stock cable is thick and not very portable. There are 3 different types of pads that can be used, the two stock ones (ultrasuede and pleather) change the sound signature noticeably. Test both if you can. Comfort is very good.

The Aeon does not leak sound unless played at dangerously high volume. It needs an amp, I have to max out the sound with my iPhone and it feels a little held back. Aftermarket cables have to be custom, the connectors are not common. Stock cable is quite long which makes it great for sitting but requires me to coil it up and shove it into a pocket if walking around. It is very comfortable. Pads are permanent, no changing them.

I have both the Nightowl and Aeon because I feel they are both very capable and complementary. I have an Atticus on the way to possibly replace the Nightowl.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #2,772 of 5,483
Hello everyone,

I am subjugued.

Thank you very much!

I am in a very similar spot, right now.
Well I got a killer deal for a pair of Nightowls and pulled the trigger, they should arrive tomorrow.
That being said, my dealer wrote me today, that Aeons are due to arrive the following weeks, so I will audition them and maybe buy them as well.
I use Chord Hugo2 as source and Mojo on the go.

Nice to read that you liked both of them for different reasons.
What I can say from my experience with Nighthawks is that the drivers really need their burn in, so this is something to consider.

Can't wait to compare both cans.
BTW I got a Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid cable for the Nightowls / Nighthawks. Is there a high quality adapter to use the 2x 2.5mm connection with the Hirose plugs?

Cheers

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #2,773 of 5,483
I think your choice should be easy and clear to you... Does not matter what "expert audiophiles" think / explain. Only thing that matters is how the headphones sound to YOU, and whether you liked it or not :wink:

Personally, BTW, I own the AEONs, and did not like the NightOwl.

As Zachik says, I think you've answered your own question! That feeling of being connected to the music in such a profound way is what matters. I also have the Aeon (and Fiio X5 3rd gen) and have no desire for any other closed back headphone :)

Yeah, you're right about it, it's my perception of their sound which is the most important :)
Just need to be a little comforted in my decision as i wish i wouldn't regret it.

@Lelouch

As others have said, you pretty much answered your own question. I'll comment on the technicalities of the Nightowl and Aeon as I own both and can understand your dilema.

The Nightowl is closed yet still leaks a little sound. It can be driven from almost anything (I use my iPhone 6s+ more than anything) which makes it more portable. Aftermarket cables are much easier and cheaper to purchase which I recommend because the stock cable is thick and not very portable. There are 3 different types of pads that can be used, the two stock ones (ultrasuede and pleather) change the sound signature noticeably. Test both if you can. Comfort is very good.

The Aeon does not leak sound unless played at dangerously high volume. It needs an amp, I have to max out the sound with my iPhone and it feels a little held back. Aftermarket cables have to be custom, the connectors are not common. Stock cable is quite long which makes it great for sitting but requires me to coil it up and shove it into a pocket if walking around. It is very comfortable. Pads are permanent, no changing them.

I have both the Nightowl and Aeon because I feel they are both very capable and complementary. I have an Atticus on the way to possibly replace the Nightowl.

Thank you for the detailed explanation ! I couldn't evaluate the sound leaking. It would be a problem if i want to use it in a calm open-space at work...
There is only one pair of pads available for testing, i think the pleather one.
Both headphones were very comfortable to me.

Do i need an amp for the Aeon even when using Fiio X5III integrated amp?
I'd like to use the balanced output of my DAC. How much is a balanced cable TRRS 2.5mm for the Aeon?

I am in a very similar spot, right now.
Well I got a killer deal for a pair of Nightowls and pulled the trigger, they should arrive tomorrow.
That being said, my dealer wrote me today, that Aeons are due to arrive the following weeks, so I will audition them and maybe buy them as well.
I use Chord Hugo2 as source and Mojo on the go.

Nice to read that you liked both of them for different reasons.
What I can say from my experience with Nighthawks is that the drivers really need their burn in, so this is something to consider.

Can't wait to compare both cans.
BTW I got a Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid cable for the Nightowls / Nighthawks. Is there a high quality adapter to use the 2x 2.5mm connection with the Hirose plugs?

Cheers

I hope you will be satisfied with both :) Unfortunately, i don't have the budget for both but as said Jearly, i got the feeling they are complementary to each other.
I don't exactly know how many hours both test headphones were burned in but for sure more than 10 hours.

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,774 of 5,483
I'd like to use the balanced output of my DAC. How much is a balanced cable TRRS 2.5mm for the Aeon?
Don't have the Fiio X5III, but based on my experience with other Fiio products, it's unlikely you'll need an additional amp.

Impact Audio Cables makes good, affordable cables.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,775 of 5,483
Yeah, you're right about it, it's my perception of their sound which is the most important :)
Just need to be a little comforted in my decision as i wish i wouldn't regret it.

Thank you for the detailed explanation ! I couldn't evaluate the sound leaking. It would be a problem if i want to use it in a calm open-space at work...
There is only one pair of pads available for testing, i think the pleather one.
Both headphones were very comfortable to me.

I hope you will be satisfied with both :) Unfortunately, i don't have the budget for both but as said Jearly, i got the feeling they are complementary to each other.
I don't exactly know how many hours both test headphones were burned in but for sure more than 10 hours.
Hello again Lelouch. My Fiio X5 3rd gen drives the Aeon with room to spare using the DUMMER cable single ended. I also have a Forza AudioWorks Hybrid 2.5mm balanced cable on order to take advantage of the balanced output. I'm happy to post my findings when it arrives :)

At the Canjam London 2017 I heard the Aeon fed by a Hugo2 and it sounded pretty good too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back