AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,536 of 5,483
Hey, I'm admittedly awful at the technical side of this stuff (impedance and such), so I need help finding an AMP for this HP. Trying to spend under $500-400, with a neutral or slightly warm tilt. Would the JDS Labs El Amp/El DAC work well with this headphone?
Another option would be the Grace M9xx. When Massdrop has them it fits ..almost, into your budget. Plenty of power for the Aeon, a good bit of flexibility, great UI and controls, and can be USB powered. Did I mention, sounds great to me with the Aeon. There is a thread here on the unit. If you check it you will find overwhelmingly positive reviews and impressions.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #2,539 of 5,483
I've been looking for a decent pair of closed all-rounder for a while in replacement for my Andromeda and I get a sense that this is the one.
I hope this doesn't leak too much sound.

Does anyone know the range of serial numbers that were affected with the 140~220hz dip problem?

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #2,542 of 5,483
I'm kind of sceptical if the Jotunheim has good synergy with the Aeon...

Aeon has a dip in the lower mids and a combination with the slightly upper mid forward Jotunheim doesn't sound like the best idea?

I have a Jot in my office and need to get a closed can. Aeon is on my shortlist, but the question above keeps me hesitating.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #2,543 of 5,483
I'm kind of sceptical if the Jotunheim has good synergy with the Aeon...

Aeon has a dip in the lower mids and a combination with the slightly upper mid forward Jotunheim doesn't sound like the best idea?

I have a Jot in my office and need to get a closed can. Aeon is on my shortlist, but the question above keeps me hesitating.

I am running the Aeon balanced out of a Jotunheim fed by a Geek Pulse Infinity with LPS and an Uptone Regen Amber. I would not hesitate in recommending the Jotunheim with the Aeon. The Aeon also sounds great directly out of the Mojo.

Note that I use the foam inserts with the Aeon, which increases warmth.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,544 of 5,483
Has anyone who actually owns the Bowers & Wilkins P9 compared them directly with the Aeon yet? I've searched the thread but found no comparison.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #2,545 of 5,483
Has anyone who actually owns the Bowers & Wilkins P9 compared them directly with the Aeon yet? I've searched the thread but found no comparison.
I had the p9 for 2 months, but did return it. The aeon is lighter, fights better with a looser clamp, and has far more comfortable cushions. B&W's earpads have never worked for me. If I remember correctly, the P9 has a little bit more in the sub bass and mid bass, but didn't have a coherent tonality to me. The Aeon is the clear winner in the upper mids, and treble regions. Also, the Aeon has planar feel, so it, imo renders string instruments with a soft realism and better sound stage and imaging. In terms of detail, I think the P9 was surprisingly detailed and may compete, but I currently running the Aeon out of my laptop so its not a fair comparison. I liked the P9, But I think it was too expensive. I don't feel the aeon is too expensive.

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #2,546 of 5,483
I had the p9 for 2 months, but did return it. The aeon is lighter, fights better with a looser clamp, and has far more comfortable cushions. B&W's earpads have never worked for me. If I remember correctly, the P9 has a little bit more in the sub bass and mid bass, but didn't have a coherent tonality to me. The Aeon is the clear winner in the upper mids, and treble regions. Also, the Aeon has planar feel, so it, imo renders string instruments with a soft realism and better sound stage and imaging. In terms of detail, I think the P9 was surprisingly detailed and may compete, but I currently running the Aeon out of my laptop so its not a fair comparison. I liked the P9, But I think it was too expensive. I don't feel the aeon is too expensive.

Thanks for your impressions. I'm not surprised to hear about your issue with the pads...both the P7 and P9 have fairly stiff memory cushioning in the pads, and the P9 have a special layer that acts as a controlled vent of sorts that also adds to the stiffness. The saving grace for me is how big the pad opening is. My big ears actually fit completely inside.

Plus, I like the strong dynamic impact of the sub and mid bass. It's part of what makes it a good portable headphone. Most headphones sound wimpy and tinny when they have to compete with outdoor noise. The P9 doesn't.

That being said, I like my 400i and like the idea of a closed planar that's comparable to my P9 when it comes to sound quality, so I'd love to give the Aeon I try.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #2,547 of 5,483
I am running the Aeon balanced out of a Jotunheim fed by a Geek Pulse Infinity with LPS and an Uptone Regen Amber. I would not hesitate in recommending the Jotunheim with the Aeon. The Aeon also sounds great directly out of the Mojo.

Note that I use the foam inserts with the Aeon, which increases warmth.
I don't see a lot of people talking about the foam pads on here... I feel like thats a really cool thing and curious of others opinions. i'll put them in our demo now speaking of which. I haven't tried it yet!

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #2,548 of 5,483
I don't see a lot of people talking about the foam pads on here... I feel like thats a really cool thing and curious of others opinions. i'll put them in our demo now speaking of which. I haven't tried it yet!
The foams pads literally fixed the only flaws I heard in the Aeons (just a touch too piercing.) It's quite remarkable how much less fatiguing they become.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,549 of 5,483
The foams pads literally fixed the only flaws I heard in the Aeons (just a touch too piercing.) It's quite remarkable how much less fatiguing they become.
Very interesting. With the Amp I am using now I don't have any trouble with the highs... but obviously eveyones hearing is different.

Here a pic of the foam inserts for people interested! Very simple procedure ha
IMG_7495.JPG
They fit nicely in there. Going to put them in an give it a listen.
Here is another shot of the Æon since I think it's such a sharp lookin can!
IMG_7496.JPG
Just realize I see my hand in the shot ha. My bad folks. Can't help the natural sheen these exude.... :wink:

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,550 of 5,483
I second the iDSD micro BL recommendation. I prefer it's sound over the Mojo and it's definitely more versatile.

Could you please explain further of why you prefer one to the other sound wise ?. I am awaiting the liquid spark release but the iDSD mirco BL looks nice as something till the spark is released. Also does anyone have comments on the XDP-300R or other dap that will push the Aeon because I don't think my v20 will drive them properly. My Aeon's should be in today.
Thanks CB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back