AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 1, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,551 of 5,483
So far my favorite sources to pair with Aeon is the AK240SS and the iPod/Pico Power stack. I don't think the DX200 and LPG are a good source for Aeon.

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,552 of 5,483
Could you please explain further of why you prefer one to the other. I am awaiting the liquid spark release but the iDSD mirco BL looks nice as something till the spark is released. Also does anyone have comments on the XDP-300R or other dap that will push the aeon because I don't think my v20 will cut it with these. Mine aeon's should be in today.
Thanks CB
The BL has a warmer, more fun signature to my ears. The Mojo is more clinical and precise. The Aeon already leans more toward clinical and precise than warm and fun so the BL positively modulates the sound for me. It's not a huge difference and the Mojo is still a great pairing with the Aeon.

I actually have an XDP-100R but I haven't used it much with the Aeon (I use it with IEMs). The few times I tried it with the Aeon, I had to put it on the highest gain setting and crank the volume up to around 140/160 for strong listening levels. It definitely gets loud enough, but the Aeon is pretty hard to drive and sounds better out of something with more power like the BL. The 300R may have more power, but I haven't looked at the specs.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,553 of 5,483
The BL has a warmer, more fun signature to my ears. The Mojo is more clinical and precise. The Aeon already leans more toward clinical and precise than warm and fun so the BL positively modulates the sound for me.

Which also confirms my doubts concerning the Jotunheim / Aeon pairing.

Since I already own Jotunheim, I will probably end up with a Bimby + Saga + Jot + Aeon combo at my working place in order to get aesthetics and system synergy right :wink:

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,554 of 5,483
Don't get me wrong, the Aeon still is a fun headphone because of its tonal presentation and technical prowess, despite being pretty flat and unemphasized throughout the frequency spectrum. Also, some people's idea of fun is as clinical and precise as possible and I'm not knocking that. For me, I prefer a bit of warmth and lushness which the Aeon nicely provides with the foam inserts.

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #2,555 of 5,483
I'm kind of sceptical if the Jotunheim has good synergy with the Aeon...

Aeon has a dip in the lower mids and a combination with the slightly upper mid forward Jotunheim doesn't sound like the best idea?

I have a Jot in my office and need to get a closed can. Aeon is on my shortlist, but the question above keeps me hesitating.

I need a closed can too that would play nice with vali 2. I just picked up the open senn hd6xx (but They don't ship until dec.)

Wondering if this would be different enough to warrant purchase? Was hoping to have one of each-high end open and closed.
Thoughts on this are appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #2,556 of 5,483
It appears that I lost one side of the foam insert, just realized it after going on the meet with my local community. Must has been fallen somewhere along the way. The Aeon just not feel the same to me without it. :frowning2:

@mrspeakers when will be the foam inserts available to purchase? I'd like to buy one or two, please.

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #2,557 of 5,483
I need a closed can too that would play nice with vali 2. I just picked up the open senn hd6xx (but They don't ship until dec.)

Wondering if this would be different enough to warrant purchase? Was hoping to have one of each-high end open and closed.
Thoughts on this are appreciated.

I have both HD6XX and Aeon, they definitely are quite different. You can't go wrong with Aeon if you are looking at closed back cans.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #2,558 of 5,483
Could you please explain further of why you prefer one to the other sound wise ?. I am awaiting the liquid spark release but the iDSD mirco BL looks nice as something till the spark is released. Also does anyone have comments on the XDP-300R or other dap that will push the Aeon because I don't think my v20 will drive them properly. My Aeon's should be in today.
Thanks CB

I am listening the Aeon with DX200: almost max out. From 120 to 135 with hi gain. 150 is max volume.
Aeon is harder to drive.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,559 of 5,483
Can the Opus 1 Metal drive the Aeon pretty well ? or would I need an external amp or something? If this is the case I would prefer to just get the standard because it is cheaper Opus 1. I asked this on the Opus 1 thread, but got some conflicting info. So I am pretty confused about this.

Thanks

Riley

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,560 of 5,483
I am listening the Aeon with DX200: almost max out. From 120 to 135 with hi gain. 150 is max volume.
Aeon is harder to drive.

I really don't understand how the AEON could require such volume unless you like to listen loudly. They are more efficient in impedance and sensitivity than the ETHER Flow and I drive those just fine with 50-60/120 volume on the X5iii which is far less powerful than the DX200(am1), and in the lower double red with the Mojo for my listening levels averaging 85dB.

I'd be curious to know what the actual dB levels are that you're getting at those volume settings with the AEON.

Has anyone compared the ETHER Flow to the AEON at the same volume setting? I'm really curious to know what the perception of volume is at the same level between the two for a frame of reference.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #2,561 of 5,483
I really don't understand how the AEON could require such volume unless you like to listen loudly. They are more efficient in impedance and sensitivity than the ETHER Flow and I drive those just fine with 50-60/120 volume on the X5iii which is far less powerful than the DX200(am1), and in the lower double red with the Mojo for my listening levels averaging 85dB.

I'd be curious to know what the actual dB levels are that you're getting at those volume settings with the AEON.

Has anyone compared the ETHER Flow to the AEON at the same volume setting? I'm really curious to know what the perception of volume is at the same level between the two for a frame of reference.

Rx could not drive.
CDM max and could not drive properly.
Cv5 at 3/4 and not good synergy.
SS6 at 3/4 and not good synergy.

These are initial burning time frame.
DX200 also not good synergy at first but both units are open up better.
I have not try ALO products back yet.
My Utopia still at Focal for rattles evaluation.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #2,562 of 5,483
Rx could not drive.
CDM max and could not drive properly.
Cv5 at 3/4 and not good synergy.
SS6 at 3/4 and not good synergy.

These are initial burning time frame.
DX200 also not good synergy at first but both units are open up better.
I have not try ALO products back yet.
My Utopia still at Focal for rattles evaluation.

I'm just going by the numbers and it doesn't make sense to me. Again, unless you listen very loudly. Frankly, the math doesn't make sense for what you're saying. Enjoy what you want at whatever volume levels you listen at, but, IMO, it's rather misleading making statements to everyone that they are very difficult to drive.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #2,563 of 5,483
Ob
I'm just going by the numbers and it doesn't make sense to me. Again, unless you listen very loudly. Frankly, the math doesn't make sense for what you're saying. Enjoy what you want at whatever volume levels you listen at, but, IMO, it's rather misleading making statements to everyone that they are very difficult to drive.

obviously it's a listener that needs to listen very loudly. I'm not seeing any efficiency issues at all. They get damn loud pretty easily. I hope he doesn't damage his hearing

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 1, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #2,564 of 5,483
A few years ago, I was at a meet in Nashville. Some dude picks up the headphones that I'd setup at my station. He turns them up to full volume/max. I'd never gone past 12:00 on the dial which was very loud itself. But oddly, he didn't seem to be bothered whatsoever. I suppose that he was mostly deaf which is the only way anyone could have tolerated that much noise. Everyone in the room stopped what they were doing to witness the spectacle.

Dan Clark was there and I'm sure that he remembers. I'm just glad that my headphones were not damaged.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #2,565 of 5,483
Dan, Warren and I watched a security guard at last years SF Head-fi meet pound to death a set of Utopia's. The drivers could be heard popping 20 feet away. It was amazing he didn't scream from pain but he appeared to be oblivious to the driver overload. Crazy but it does happens. Glad to hear your cans survived. The Utopia didn't.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back