AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 3, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,757 of 5,483
Does anyone have any measurements of the dimensions for the packaging of the AEON from Mr.speakers? Like Height, weight, width and length? Thanks, trying to figure out cost of international shipping when I get them.

Shipping box is marked 11 x 8 x 5. Actual box is +/- 1/2" more than that while the Aeon box is +/- 1/2" less (in each dimension).

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #1,758 of 5,483
Does anyone have exp Jotunheim with Aeon? I just ordered the Jotunhein over iFi BL with Mimby. Did I do wrong? Main purpose is in desktop use.

I went with idsd BL over Jot for my bedroom rig. I had them both and preferred the sweeter tone of the idsd. Plus the ifi gave me the option of portable and that amazing bass boost FTW.

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,760 of 5,483
So what's the best DAC and amp pairing for the Aeons. I want something that adds a little warmth to it. The Aeons sound a little boring to me.

Lots of choices. Helps to know what you are using now and what the budget is.
With about 50 hours burn, these are definitely not boring. They actually sound decent/OK from a DAP (FiiO).
At the moment using a Gumby/Lyr combination. Excellent. Lyr is a hybrid, good choice I think if you want to consider a tube amp. Very reasonable cost.
I'm sure the Bimby/Jot is also an excellent choice. Lots of choices, so ball park budget is useful.
The AEONS have a little more energy in the upper mids, not a lot, but a little north of neutral. (That may change with additional burn, but that's what I'm hearing now.)
So also depends on what you expect/like to hear across the audible bandwidth.

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #1,762 of 5,483

My Aeon review. Not as comprehensive as it could be as I have to give them back tomorrow.

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,764 of 5,483
I too think Currawong's review matches quite well with my own perceptions of the Aeon's performance.
I think that they do very little wrong, if anything. The do remind me somewhat of what my idea of a good studio monitor speaker sounds like.
I don't find them boring in the least, BTW. I have mayb 6 hours into listening as of now. They have been playing music for around 48 hours.
I really enjoy listening to them. They are not fatiguing in the least. They seem to play everything at least competently, if not quite wonderfully.
I tend to think this perception of slightly elevated upper midrange is likely due to the relatively somewhat depressed lower mids. I have been running a couple of DB of EQ between 200 and 500 hz.
This makes everything balance out quite well.

I am happy for my purchase. This headphone might well be that elusive all around set that I have been looking for. I think that, when the dust settles and full production is achieved this headphone will be an unqualified hit for Mr. Speakers.

More when I get additional time to do some more serious listening.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,765 of 5,483
I also EQ lower mids slightly and liking the results.

170Hz : +2.3 db
310Hz : +1.5 db
500Hz : +0.4 db

aeon_zpsr1gnrarw.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,766 of 5,483
Yesterday I used the AEON for a marathon gaming session while playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS4 pro using an ifi micro idsd black label via optical. I think I've found my new go-to gaming headphone. As I've said before, for my small hat size, the comfort is second to none. I've decided they are more comfortable over long sessions than the Beyer DT 770, my previous go-to. They DT 770 is more comfortable initially, but after hours and hours I find the headband starts digging in. The headband on the AEON doesn't seem to have this problem and distributes weight evenly. They are so light and still have good grip. You won't forget you're wearing them, but you definitely won't worry about positioning or comfort during long gaming sessions. It seals out external noise very well and does an admirable job at preventing sound leakage too, but at very loud volumes it does leak some sound. My ears somehow didn't sweat at all, either.

For gaming, soundstage can make or break a headphone. I would describe the soundstage as very good for a closed can, making in-game ambient noises and effects seem realistically placed in 3D space. With the black label's bass boost, the AEON has more than enough bass response to rattle my head (just a little bit) during explosions without losing any bass definition. The AEON can definitely extend deep into the sub bass region, especially with a little help from the black label. Treble and detail retrieval are great for games, letting you know when things are happening, but not being distracting or overemphasizing ambient noises.

If you've been looking for an audiophile grade sealed headphone for gaming you should definitely give the AEON a listen.

Oh yeah, I'm really enjoying them with music too. "You and I" by Wilco is a great example of how wonderful a male/female duet can sound on the AEON.
Hey there. Awesome news. I got them mostly for gaming.

Thanks for the information!

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #1,767 of 5,483
I'm not sure I agree on the lack of lowest bass. I think the Aeon has a bit of an LCD vibe going on though, where the bass extends authoritatively all the way down to 20hz, but there's just no distortion to the low bass, so low bass is perceivable not as much as others with higher amounts of low end distortion like a Fostex phone. There is also the fact too that the presence region of the Aeon around 1-4khz is not shy at all, and we just so happen to be most sensitive in that area, so it can mask the lowest frequencies more than other headphones that are more depressed in that area.

Jun 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #1,769 of 5,483
Anyone try the Aeons just with the DX200 and AMP2? According to Currywong and others, the Aeon is a bit lacking when it comes to bass quantity and presence. I'm assuming the AMP2 will provide some much-needed warmth.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,770 of 5,483
Please do post your impressions with both amps. I'm really looking forward to someone reviewing Aeons with Woo amps.

I spent some time last night switching between the Liquid Carbon and the WA6 and I have to say that the Aeon sounds quite different with the two amps, perhaps more different than most of my other headphones. To my ears the WA6/Aeon combo is more midrange-focused with deep, juicy bass and smooth, perhaps a bit more laid-back treble. With the Liquid Carbon the Aeons sound very neutral and natural with a more balanced, less midrange-focused sound. Overall I think I prefer the LC, but the WA6 sound goes really well with some tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back