AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 4, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #1,771 of 5,483
If you listen carefully you will find that Currywong did not really say the Aeon was lacking in bass response. He said at times he would have liked more (for his taste), I don't find it lacking in the least. When I first put them on it was playing some music with heavy bass. I thought, damn I bought this one trick pony bass head can. Of course this changed after listening to a variety of material. They have lots of bass quantity and presence when the music being played has that content.
Without listening first, I would suggest that buying electronics to fix a problem that really does not exist might be counterproductive.

Just a general comment.

I have never listened to the DX200. With any module.

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #1,775 of 5,483
got my aeon's this saturday afternoon and have logged about 8 hours so far with them, so i'll give some very early impressions, and comparisons to my beyer t5p2 (my current closed favorite).

the easy stuff first, it's well built, fits nice, is very comfortable, and looks much better in person than in pictures, imo. i have a standard 4pin xlr, and the stock dummer cable with 6.3mm termination. i'm listening via xlr on my jotunheim/modi multibit combo.

my early impressions are quite positive. the aeon sounds clean, precise, and well balanced. there seems to be a slight upper mid emphasis, but it could just be my aging ears. coming from the mad dog pro and alpha prime, i'm especially impressed with the treble. the older mrspeakers always sounded a bit ragged in the upper regions. the aeon, on the other hand, sounds quite nice in the treble region. micro detail is very good. i especially like the 6-9kh region, its sparkly, well defined, yet smooth. no raggedness here thankfully. the prime, in comparison, is much less refined sounding. calling on the prime again, i find the prime to be warmer overall, with a more emphasized bass attack. the aeon is much more linear in it's bass presentation. when bass is called for, the aeon hits hard, and digs low, with very good slam. but it doesnt interject bass when not called for, like the prime would (just a bit). overall i much prefer the aeon to the prime, it's a more refined and accomplished set, to these ears. these have minimal hours on them so we'll see if burn in changes anything, though i'm kinda doubting it. i notice no difference from hour 1 to hour 8 so far. my ears are abused though...

ok my current closed fav, the t5p2. i wont go into a lot of detail as i've yet to really put good effort into a thorough comparison (i'll do that after i've logged a month or more on the aeon's, and know it better). but as of right now i would not say the aeon dethrones the t5p2, imo. why? i find the beyer a bit more engaging to listen to. it's not as neutral, but i think that's a good thing. it's bass is a bit warmer, with more bloom (and BOOM). I like the rumble the beyer gives me, even if it's not exactly "accurate". i find the aeon's bass to be a bit polite in comparison. and for more linear. i know i am contradicting myself here as i said i disliked the prime for doing such, but it did it in a way that just didnt sound as good, and i am honestly unable to explain exactly why. i just didnt like the prime's bass warmth nearly as much as the beyer's. the mids of both sets are very good, with heaps of detail, though the beyer's are a touch more forward. this adds a bit of excitement that the aeon lacks. and though many dislike the beyer treble, i personally find it very engaging. i disliked the first gen t5p treble, it was too bright, but the gen 2 was pulled back just enough to approach "bright", without going over top, like the first gen would. the aeon treble is a touch smoother, with less attack. but overall, i find the treble to be the most similar between the two cans.

overall the differences between the beyer and aeon are slight, but enough that so far i'm still preferring it. and the one area i find the beyer completely walks away from the aeon is in soundstage. i am always surprised by how good the beyer soundstage is. and i dont have to qualify that with "for a closed can". to my ears, it's wider and deeper than my hd650 and sr225e, both open cans.

please dont think i dont like the aeon, i like it quite a bit. i feel it complements my t5p2 quite well for a work can. i prefer the beyer for my more poorly recorded rock/metal tracks, it seems more forgiving, and is more exciting. for my higher quality recordings, like jazz/classical/vocals, i prefer the aeon. kinda like how i grab my grado for rock and hd650 for jazz/acoustic sets.

one final thing, the aeon requires decent amplification to reach it's potential. the jot has more than enough power in either se or balanced configuration. on my fulla 2, things get a bit more challenging. the fulla 2 can get them to deafening volume easily, but i find dynamics suffer a bit. bass slam isnt as hard or tight. there's more bloom, with a slower decay. the highs get a touch brittle too, i find. it's not horrible, mind you, but coming from the jot, it's definitely noticeable. i think i'll grab a vali 2 for work for the aeon. the t5p2 is easily powered by the fulla 2, as it's much more efficient. i also tried the aeon through my dragonfly red, and again, i found it lacking in power. volume was fine, though i had it up to about 85% on my iphone 7. but again, dynamics were lacking. it just sounded dull and lifeless compared to the jot. if you're thinking of using the aeon as a portable headphone, i'd strongly suggest a strong portable amp like the mojo, or equivalent.

i'll let my ears/brain adjust to the aeon, and let them burn in for a month, and revisit my impressions then. but overall i'm really impressed with them. i think they're a clear improvement over the alpha prime and earlier mrspeakers. i have the non-flow ether, and i'd say they're on similar levels, just different flavors. the ether is even more neutral and resolving, but not as engaging. i've yet to directly swap back and forth like i did the beyer, so i'll add those impressions later.

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #1,776 of 5,483
If you listen carefully you will find that Currywong did not really say the Aeon was lacking in bass response. He said at times he would have liked more (for his taste), I don't find it lacking in the least. When I first put them on it was playing some music with heavy bass. I thought, damn I bought this one trick pony bass head can. Of course this changed after listening to a variety of material. They have lots of bass quantity and presence when the music being played has that content.
Without listening first, I would suggest that buying electronics to fix a problem that really does not exist might be counterproductive.

That's exactly right. I have a couple of tracks which have some very low bass rumble where I felt that a bit more presence down there would be ideal. I was discussing the Harman curve with someone in relation to these and whomever had the thought on the last page about my impressions probably relating to the mid-bass dip is probably right as well. That's probably why they remind me a bit of the K7XX in some respects.

Jun 5, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #1,777 of 5,483
After careful consideration I have decided to put my Aeons and PM-3 up for sale. I only need one closed can option and I really can't decide between these two headphones and I don't see the value in keeping both. For me, it really is that close in terms of which I like more. So I am going to let fate decide. Whichever one sells 1st I will keep the other one and use the money towards purchasing an IEM I've had my eye on for some time now.

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #1,782 of 5,483
100 hrs according to Mr. Speakers but they sound good from day one

Agreed they sound good straight out of the box, however mine are really starting to open up and sing now. Im up to around 80+ hours. Ive got to say the difference is very noticeable. Probably the biggest burn in difference I have experienced to date. People who don't believe in burn should seriously
give it a try with these headphones. There was a difference in volume adjustment needed of about 4-5dB when I first plugged them in vs my PM-3's meaning I had to turn these up to get the same listening level or turn the PM-3's down if I was switching the other way. This has now changed, the gap has closed and I'm now using the same listening levels on my Chord Dave -30dB. The best way I can describe the changes simply is that everything just seems clearer across the range. There is also now more impact, something that I orginally felt was slightly lagging behind the PM-3 when I first compared them. Not anymore!

Jun 5, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,783 of 5,483
For those who wonder why these headphones take more burn-in the answer is the driver pleating reaching a steady-state resting tension. There's little point arguing with each other; this is a thing and it is real. Does it totally transform the headphone? No, of course not, but it does relax the delivery and open up the soundstage and dynamics.

Also, IMHO there's no reason to not listen and enjoy during burn in. I kind of enjoy the experience of "oh, there it goes" when you notice it.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back