AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 24, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #5,102 of 5,483
I have used the Beyer' DT770 Pros as my travel 'phones for many years. I have ETHER C Flow for desktop, and have been kicking around the idea of getting a pair of Aeons for travel (though that is probably overkill). Anyone have a read on how isolation would compare to the DT770?
Thanks

Sep 24, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #5,103 of 5,483
So their design idea is "user must unplug the cable each time he wants to put the headphone to the case and replug the cable each time he wants to wear the headphone again" ?

It is sad that they design an awesome headphone but fail in a very simple practical thing...

It's not simple. If you leave the plugs on the case has to be at least 1" longer to not strain the cables. Since these connectors are fast and super reliable this was a very deliberate design decision for travel convenience.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 25, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #5,104 of 5,483
I have used the Beyer' DT770 Pros as my travel 'phones for many years. I have ETHER C Flow for desktop, and have been kicking around the idea of getting a pair of Aeons for travel (though that is probably overkill). Anyone have a read on how isolation would compare to the DT770?
Thanks
I think I answered my own question. Innerfidelity has graphs for both. The Aeon is roughly equal or better than the Beyer over most of the range, especially dramatic below 400Hz.

Sep 25, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #5,105 of 5,483
I'm listening to my AFC paired with DX220 AMP1. My expectations were very high but I couldn't find what I hoped for (so far).

+AFC is the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn

The sound is usually overly thin and bright. I am far from being a bass-head and I love treble sparkle but even for me AFC is overly sharp in negative way so far. The sound quality is weirdly inconsistent across different songs, a track sounds extremely good but the next track on the album sounds like unlistenable garbage. (the two tracks sound equally good on my other headphones)

AFC sounds good with instrumental tracks, but songs with multiple elements (synthesis, vocals, chorus, drums) often sound very congested. Belive me or not, some tracks sound better with my $350 bluetooth Sony XM3.

Many people including Dan suggested AMP8 module on DX220 to pair with AFC. I will purchase that and I guess it will improve the sound.

There are still many tools I can play with (EQ, damping pads, AMP8) . Let's see

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #5,106 of 5,483
I'm listening to my AFC paired with DX220 AMP1. My expectations were very high but I couldn't find what I hoped for (so far).

The sound is usually overly thin and bright. I am far from being a bass-head and I love treble sparkle but even for me AFC is overly sharp in negative way so far. The sound quality is weirdly inconsistent across different songs, a track sounds extremely good but the next track on the album sounds like unlistenable garbage. (the two tracks sound equally good on my other headphones)

AFC sounds good with instrumental tracks, but songs with multiple elements (synthesis, vocals, chorus, drums) often sound very congested. Belive me or not, some tracks sound better with my $350 bluetooth Sony XM3.

Many people including Dan suggested AMP8 module on DX220 to pair with AFC. I will purchase that and I guess it will improve the sound.

Have you tried Cascade + cloth pad | T4 filter? If not try one, it has the treble sparkle but still have that low end ommph.

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #5,107 of 5,483

I do listen to a lot of instrumental music such as classical or movie scores. However this makes me very hesitant about spending $650 (Canadian) on headphones that I have no experience with.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #5,109 of 5,483
I don't use headphones for TV or movies. In my case headphones are strictly for music or YouTube on my computer which is what my DAC/amp is connected to.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #5,110 of 5,483
I do listen to a lot of instrumental music such as classical or movie scores. However this makes me very hesitant about spending $650 (Canadian) on headphones that I have no experience with.

I just shared my initial impressions, this is not my final verdict about the AFC. I ordered AMP8 module for my DX220 and it should greatly improve the sound quality. And I will probably find better sound after playing with damping pads and equalizer settings.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #5,111 of 5,483

Amp8 is indeed the stuff, I really enjoy that pairing. I have an Amp9 on the way, will see how that fares.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back